Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

secret squirl head quarters, 351w build

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: secret squirl head quarters, 351w build
    Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:24am
I can never think of a tytle for my projects. after hours of searching for a mysterious rattle, and thinking it was the invertiflow baffle it ended up being a broken spring in the bell housing and it was bouncing around. so while the engines out might as well send it off to the machine shop.    

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:28am

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:33am

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:38am
all striped and almost ready for a trip to the shop

1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:41am
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:47am
favorite pic

1989 nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 11:31am
Was the spring piece from the damper plate?

What are the plans for the engine rebuild?

Was the engine giving you any problems?

Reason I am asking, I also have '89 with approx 1200 hours, but runs fine for now . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 11:54am
The piece in your hand looks to me like half of a lock washer more than a piece of spring. In any case if that was dancing around in the bell house you've got a damper plate fixin to let loose on you. Not a pretty site I assure you.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 11:54am
Shawn,
No matter where that part came from, do put a new damper plate in. From the picture, it could also be a broken split lock washer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 11:59am
That off of the damper, mine was getting pretty close to that after 1000hrs, just needed a new damper.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 12:07pm
I purchased an '89 a few weeks ago. It also made a rattling noise when I put it in gear and it had a dirty idle. I pulled the damper plate and looked just like yours. No physical damage but some of the springs where loose enough that I could move them back and forth in the slots. I installed a new plate and it cured the noise and the dirty idle.
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 1:04pm
Shawn, nice lookin boat. Looks to be in nice shape. Tony.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 2:45pm
That's the great debate, theirs nothing in that bell housing that would use a lock washer? their is two springs that slop around in their pretty good, size and shape say spring. either way its getting replaced. Question, do you put anti-sieze on the splines going into the dampner? cant hurt..     
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 3:04pm
The engine will be a fresh long block, more cam,compresion, new intake and keeping the cast heads. the oil pan had a pin hole dead in the side of it that made a annoying oil leak. its going to get the standard new fuel pump, water pumps exc. Dc grove did new bearings and brushes in the alternator for $50. im going to try the new style gaskets that are all one piece rubber, kind of pricey but if they last and don't leak well worth the money. already have a new carb and petronics ignition. as for the paint it going to be all assembled and shot with a gun, now the hard part is picking a color. kind of thinking Teal like the boat? or just silver again..           
1989 nautique
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2014 at 5:10pm
Still like to put a small dab of good sealer in corners but the one piece gaskets are worth the extra coin IMO.1 vote for Teal.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 10:12am
When I repaint mine I was thinking teal also but not sure if it would go with the red maybe change the red to teal and the rest silver?

That boat looks great are those original decals and vinyl ?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 2:00pm
Hey Shawn, are you on Long Lake or the Chain?? Who is doing the motor work, a local shop??
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 2:47pm
Pretty sure from previous posts he is on Long Lake (which technically is part of the Chain).

Not original decals.

I also like the idea of keeping what is silver silver and just doing the valve covers in teal.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 3:34pm
I have some of those valve covers in the shop here. Instead of doing the Ford racing ones. I was thinking of blasting the red off and doing wrinkle black and sanding the paint off of the letters after it dries.

Either way could be a neat spin on some factory pieces.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 3:55pm
It’s a good looking boat. I like the idea of the teal being on the covers as well- but slick either way. I would seriously consider some gt40p heads, otherwise it seems like spending a lot that money on an engine that already runs without adding a ton of value.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I have some of those valve covers in the shop here.

If you ever change your mind or come across another set send them this way,I know a Team Red boat that they would look good on
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 6:04pm
Haha, I have a few sets Mr. Starr.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 6:19pm
I was expecting to see pictures of a squirrel nest in the muffler!

Gotta agree with Joe on the heads. Spend the money now for a set and take full advantage of the other upgrades.

Silver on the block and Teal on the valve covers would be very cool! Combine those with new hoses with the white PCM branding would be very clean!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 5:49am
Off long lake, can get to the chain but have to go through the dam.
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 6:17am
as for freshening up a 20 year old engine, my thinking is its better to do it now than wait till theirs a hole in the side. Hyperformance in Fox lakes doing the machine work.
Whats the real difference between the gt40 heads and stock? is it really worth the dollars per horsepower? Ive always herd the stock cast exaust manifolds are to restrictive to make large HP. It would be interesting to see some dyno sheets. Im going for leak free and reliable.   
1989 nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 6:26am
some welding practice...

1989 nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:32am
The manifolds are not the bottle neck. The heads are. The GT-40 and GT-40P heads have larger intake and exhaust ports as well as revised "quench" style combustion chambers. The P heads flow a little better and cost the same so there is no reason not to go with them. There is a place in Florida (someone help me on the name) that sells completely rebuild P heads and will drill them for 351 size studs for somewhere around 250ish a head. Joe and Tim will tell you the upgrades you do if you don't change the heads will just be money you throw up into the air and watch it blow away.

What camshaft have you selected? There is a lot more options for you being a standard rotation engine because of the PCM 1.23 Transmission.

The biggest non roller cam for the reverse rotation engines coupled with a good intake and the GT-40P heads usually nets in the 325 HP range. That is a big kick in the pants compared to the stock 240 horse motors.

Side note: You can weld better than me ha.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 10:38am
Clearwater and Tristate were the 2 that were used
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 11:08am
A hole in the side of a well taken care of engine is pretty rare, certainly untouched bottom ends going 2-3x as many hours are much more common than ones that have a serious failure. That being said I replace perfectly good engines all the time “while I have it out” so who am I to judge.

A huge part of freshening up an engine is going through the heads. Certainly as important (more important in my mind) than getting into a bottom end that isn’t showing signs of problems. That being said if you are truly talking about a “fresh long block” that would include minimally a valve job on the heads. Depending on the market that is usually at least a few hundred dollars, and the quality of the work and valves used varies greatly- remanufactured gt40p (gt40 heads are more expensive and no better than the gt40p for this application) heads are available for about 450 a pair from Clearwater cylinder head – they are superior to the stock heads in every way. They have a smaller combustion chamber (that bumps up the compression without moving away from stock piston geometry) with a more efficient spark plug location, which happens in our applications to make the spark plugs also easier to change. They also flow better and are typically a better quality casting (and haven’t been in a boat for the last 15 years). With absolutely no other changes you would pick up on the order of 40 hp for a couple benjamins over the cost of reworking what you have.   With an intake and cam change as well you would see a little more, with an intake and cam alone you are not likely to see as nearly much of a change as the heads alone unless you went so aggressive you changed the idle character/reliability of the engine.

The stock exhaust is not especially restrictive, the pcm pyramid design supports considerable hp increases, there is some evidence to support that moving the risers from 3 to 3.5 inch helps a bit but unless you were going for a hundred hp increase I wouldn’t be worried about the stock manifolds beyone perhaps a slight clean up with a die grinder.
Love the spare prop holder. – don’t walk into that thing.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2014 at 1:37pm
For a "low hour" engine its got considerable amount of cylinder wear (ridge). the rear main leak to a oil pan with a pin hole in it,was drinking a quart of oil at each check, for a 20 year old engine kind of acceptable .
todays project is a spin on fuel filter, and the distributor. looks like theirs two different springs in it and is quite difficult to advance. the housing is going to get bead blasted,the weights are getting new springs set up on a machine.       
1989 nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic