Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge paint

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge paint
    Posted: February-10-2014 at 12:35am
I have an 83 ski nautique. Replacing stringers about 1/2 way. Can someone tell me how to get a similar finishing the bilge to the original. I think it's gel coat but don't know how to get the spatter look.
Thanks Bob
Bob Meimbresse
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:33am
Its definitely gel coat- not paint. Getting the original splatter look would most likely require a spray gun. I cant comment on the tips/pressure/set up required to replicate the look exactly... might require some playing around. It looks as though the gray was sprayed right after the white.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 10:08am
Thanks Tim, seems like this will never end. I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Bob Meimbresse
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:25pm
The nicest non gel bilge coating I've seen was someone (who was it?) who used the epoxy garage floor finish with the speckles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:56pm
A friend that rebuilds old boats paints the interior with bilge paint then splatters 2 colors with a paint brush. He puts very little paint on the brush and flicks the brush with his wrist. Practice on a piece of cardboard first and it will come out great.     
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 9:56pm
I used the garage stuff. I got the idea here, not sure from who here though.

“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 10:33pm
That looks awesome thanks for the thoughts.
Bob
Bob Meimbresse
jbb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 10:35pm
I think it was gun driver who used the floor epoxy.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 12:24am
I think Tim gave me the idea to use the floor epoxy as pictured above. Had muiltiple people here inform me since i used epoxy reisin that regular bilge coat wouldnt adhere well to it. This spring will be a year for my stringer work and all is well so far.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:32am
Waterdog has it. When I built one-design sailboats, we would brush or spray gel in heavy and follow with a couple "artist" brushes tapped over a piece of wood to create a spatter, then PVA.
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 8:40pm
Bob,
I just noticed in your first post that you want to replace the stringers half way. I as well as others have mentioned this is not a recommended procedure. First, as long as you have everything torn out, it's more practical to do all now instead of having to tear it out again down the lake. Second is rot spores travel though the wood like a cancer. How will you know you don't have a problem in the wood that's left? Have you even bothered getting a moisture content of the wood? Third, replacing all the wood will give you the chance to do a proper CPES treatment to all the wood. Last is how do you plan on spicing the old to the new? Scab in a sister? Keep in mind the joint with the scab may still be a weak point even with extra glass over it.

Get it all out and do a proper job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 12:11am
Sorry Pete I may have Misled you. I have half done , the starboard side both stringers . Now I intend to do the port side. I elected to do it this way so I had a side for reference. Seemed to work fairly well. I could level from one side to the other.
I'll try post a picture.
Bob Meimbresse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic