NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

questions For the performance guru

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions For the performance guru
    Posted: February-10-2014 at 7:09am
Hey guys,
In the beginning stages of my stroker 408 build for my Fish nautique. had a few questions (and may come up with some more)
I have never built a stroker windsor before, I have had my fair share of clearancing 350 and 454 chevy stuff for big strokes. alot for street use though. never a reverse rotation ford.
anyways if anyone has any pointers for this added horsepower into these boat's drivetrains I would appreciate it.

MY main question in this thread is concentrating on exhaust though.

-What is a decent flowing manifold you guys are running? I am coming up with a lot of huge money stuff when i search. (drag boat stuff)
I plan to keep the wet exhaust and would like to minimize my chance of taking a gulp when i come off plane quickly.
the fish nautique exhaust setup is mostly under the waterline and even with good flaps on the tips i am afraid of having issues with this. In some applications I have seen a "Y" shaped exhaust fitting put inline closest to the downpipe to give that rush of water a place to go and to stop it from traveling into the risers and manifolds.
has anyone had experience with this kind of setup in these boats? recommended or not?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 8:50am
The only aftermarket performance manifolds being made for Ford Windsors that I am aware of are the Hiteks. Several of us here have them. There is some performance benefit for sure- as well as weight and corrosion resistance (theyre SS) but the performance to cost ratio is very low. Im not sure youre going to be able to get a set for under $2k anymore. The stock PCM manifolds have been cross sectioned and actually look pretty good... if budget is at all a concern, theyre probably the way to go.

All of our exhaust outlets are below the waterline. Reversion is not a concern that anyone seems to have- I know Ive never had an issue on any of my boats, log and riser style manifolds included. I dont use flaps on many of my boats either. I wouldnt worry about it.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 1:23pm
If you don't already have them, get some 3.5in HO risers, and I would use the flaps. You could have a much worse day than most if you sucked up some water.

Curious to know what cam your going to use? Looking at Comp Cams specs on marine cams, all variations of the SBC used the same cams so I guess the 409 may use the same cam as the 351. I haven't gotten close enough to beginning my stroker to find out for sure.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 1:31pm
There are limitations in the reverse rotation Ford Windsor flat tappet cam blanks that limit lift to ~.460 with the 1.6 rockers. 1.7's will get you to about .490. Still tiny tiny for a 408w. To go bigger would require a custom blank (roller), which can be done but fairly expensive. Plan on $1500-2000 for a RH roller conversion. Opting for a LH engine would open up your lower cost options a good bit. You could keep the RH prop by switching to a trans like the PCM 1.23, or you could go with a LH wheel. Thats normally not recommended for a smaller ski boat as it causes the boat to lean to starboard more, but the effect on a large center console like the Fish might not be as big of a deal. RH is still way cooler though.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 4:03pm
I will check out the pcm manifolds. 2k isnt in the budget at the moment for just maifolds.

Also good to know about the cam, I hadn't got that far yet and didnt think about that. I will have to make a call to my cam guy and see what he can do. I am not opposed to running LH. the velvet drive can be run in either direction from what i understand.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2014 at 7:20pm
Exhaust inversion is a real issue in big cam boat engines. If you use a cam with lots of overlap the engine will suck water out of the exhaust into the cylinder and cause big issues. I do not know how much overlap works and when you start getting inversion. Might check with the drag boat guys and find out what works in advance to save headaches.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 9:24am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Exhaust inversion is a real issue in big cam boat engines. If you use a cam with lots of overlap the engine will suck water out of the exhaust into the cylinder and cause big issues. I do not know how much overlap works and when you start getting inversion. Might check with the drag boat guys and find out what works in advance to save headaches.

All true... but the point at which reversion occurs is going to be well beyond any sane build for such a large and heavy boat, unless someone makes a real bonehead selection. We have guys here running cams in the .560+ lift range on their 351w based engines without issue, and we're a ways north of that on our BBC. Of course, talking with a marine cam expert if going wild should help keep you safe. At a minimum, run any cam selection considerations by us here and we'll provide some feedback.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:31am
It's not really the lift that's the issue, I'd pay more attention to LSA and duration concerning overlap. Most marine cams I've seen have at least a 110 degree LSA. It's almost like picking a turbo cam, wide LSA's and moderate duration tend to help the exhaust velocity and minimize reversion. Too much duration and a narrower LSA will also compromise idle quality and vacuum. Makes it fun trying to maneuver around the dock and pick up a skier when it won't idle below 1100 RPM.

In terms of performance, you can't really get much worse than the stock cam, so it should pick up quite a bit even with a mild selection.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:59am
True, LSA and duration are the keys. Just throwing a few nowhere-near-stock cam numbers out there to show that you can go a lot warmer without reversion concerns.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 11:04am
We had a wacky big cam in a Mercrusier 305. People all got riled up about reversion. Never had an issue. It was something like .540s lift and high 290's advertised duration. I think LSA was 110-112 ish. Stock pyramid style 4" manifolds.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 2:43am
This is why I love this site. And forums in general.
I haven't sat down and put together a parts list for this build yet. It was literally decided it was a go about a week ago after about a month of reading builds on the intraweb. (It was either stroke the ford or bolt in a Big Chevy)
I'm thinking once I get my list together I'll start a new thread and see what everyone has to say.

During my research I came across a stroker build on this site I believe, but when I do a search now i can't seem to find it. It may have been on another forum. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2014 at 10:17am
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 5:41am
Thanks thats the one. I dont know why i couldnt find it again. I have to spend a little time and read that article.

Back to the manifolds and riser options, i have found these which sound pretty good. I cant find any reviews on people using them though.
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13919-small-block-ford-with-aluminum-riser.aspx

With my hp goals being pretty small in comparison to most stroker builds i wonder how much of a gain these indmar manifolds would be over my current osco setup which is in good shape. In the name of progress i could always bolt those up and run them till i feel its worth spending the money on better ones.

There is always these
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14932-pcm-351-ford-replacement-exhaust-manifolds-3-12-hose.aspx
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 8:48am
Have you considered switching to a 454?

Diesel would be cool but I understand they are very pricey.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 9:19am
I would not expect the internal geometry of those aluminum Indmars to be any better than the stock PCM's. They're just another stock manifold. If you're going to be running in salt, aluminum is going in the wrong direction. The second option you linked are the Hiteks I mentioned previously. Joe and I (and a few others here) have a set and they're nice, but pricey. If you have budget concerns, money would be better spent elsewhere. Especially if you're going to remain at or below the 1hp/ci mark.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 11:33am
TRBenj, do you think the PCMs are worth swapping from the osco manifolds i have now?
I didnt even notice they were aluminum ( i was browsing on my internet phone) so those arent really an option for me. Also salt water does not go through the maifolds themselves, it is completly fresh water cooled. the raw water pump mixes in at the elbow in my current setup and i prefer to keep it that way.

And yes i have considered a 454. and to be honest there is no reason i have found to not run one. aside from costs.
the 454 being more
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 11:49am
after all the unknowns i may be running into building a stroker, the 454 does hold its ground.
I'm going to start a separate thread and get some opinions because the whole reason i posted to begin with is to get opinions and help. i feel like the decision (454 or stroker) is one that has so many pros and cons.
the thing about availability of exhaust manifolds is just ONE of the cons i am finding out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 12:53pm
What type of power are you shooting for? Peak power, rpm, etc?

I would not expect you to be missing aftermarket exhaust manifolds if you're shooting for something in the 400hp @5000 rpm range. You can easily attain those numbers more cost effectively with stock manifolds. If you were wanting I build something with 500hp at 5500+, then that might be a different story.

I would also not expect there to be huge differences between osco sand PCM manifolds, though no one has cut apart oscos that I have seen. We did run some on our bbc and they gave up a few hp vs aftermarket performance versions, maybe 200rpm worth.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves though- head and cam choice are really much bigger considerations at this point.

A big block is certainly a consideration but a stroker 351w with a set of decent heads and a cam will outperform a stock 330hp big block by leaps and bounds. I'm not sure you could build a 400hp 454 Chevy any cheaper than a 400hp 408w. You'd want to upgrade transmissions for a big block too- they all came with 72c velvet drives instead of the 71c.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

Also salt water does not go through the maifolds themselves, it is completly fresh water cooled. the raw water pump mixes in at the elbow in my current setup and i prefer to keep it that way.

I would be really interested in knowing how this is set up. Normally a closed cooling system only cools the block. The RWP still would cool the manifolds and risers/elbows.
How are the manifolds and risers/elbows being isolated by two seperate cooling systems?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Also salt water does not go through the maifolds themselves, it is completly fresh water cooled. the raw water pump mixes in at the elbow in my current setup and i prefer to keep it that way.

I would be really interested in knowing how this is set up. Normally a closed cooling system only cools the block. The RWP still would cool the manifolds and risers/elbows.
How are the manifolds and risers/elbows being isolated by two seperate cooling systems?

This is pretty common actually, it preserves the life of the manifold greatly when used in saltwater. There is a stainless block off plate where the riser bolts to the manifold and the raw water mixes either at the elbow or in said riser, depending on the setups. mine actually mixes in the riser itself. not sure one the flow pattern though I have to go shovel my decks off today I will take not of the flow pattern while i'm out there and report back.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 1:38pm

This is pretty common actually, it preserves the life of the manifold greatly when used in saltwater. There is a stainless block off plate where the riser bolts to the manifold and the raw water mixes either at the elbow or in said riser, depending on the setups. mine actually mixes in the riser itself. not sure one the flow pattern though I have to go shovel my decks off today I will take not of the flow pattern while i'm out there and report back.

Interesting. That would be cool if you did that.
It certainly makes sense and would definitely improve the life of the manifold, however the manifold would still be running considerably warmer than any open cooled system. Without circulating water I have to believe that they would still get pretty hot before the thermostat opens up. Or is there some other way the water is being circulated through the manifolds until the thermostat does open?
Just curious and all.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 2:09pm
Eddie, I believe the way it works is both plugs on the manifold are fitted with hoses so the water circulates through the engine the manifolds and the cooler using the circulation pump. The raw water pump pulls sea water through the cooler and then dumps it into the elbow or the exhaust.   I've seen it done on the high dollar motors where everything is nice and clean and shines so it's easy to figure out, I would imagine it would look like a pile of hoses wraped around and engine on our motors.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 2:38pm
it is absolutely a pile of hoses.
i just was out there and the RWP pushes through the heat exchanger and into the riser and out the elbow where it mixes into the exhaust. pretty standard.
the other pump draws coolant out of the exchanger and into block then there is a T on top of the tstat housing, goes into the front of the manifolds, comes out the back and up into the exchanger.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 3:28pm
Good info, thanks guys. I just assumed the RWP still cooled the manifolds and risers. You know what happens when you assume?

Eddie
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2014 at 9:49pm

Good info, thanks guys. I just assumed the RWP still cooled the manifolds and risers. You know what happens when you assume?

There are actually two options to go with fresh water cooling. The more complex system does include the exhaust manifolds. Yes, more hoses plus a much larger tube in shell heat exchanger to handle the extra BTU load. The complete fresh water get pretty pricey and complicated. Most will just go with an exhaust manifold change every 5 years or so.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2014 at 10:31am
So risers get salt water in this set up. Do they rust up?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2014 at 11:43pm
I've been looking for a way to put a O2 sensor into the riser, and thanks to a little confusion by Eddie I think if found I'm looking for as well as some more answers to his question. If you look up the Osco manifolds for an Indmar Ford motor they have an extender with a spot in the casting for a hose fitting that goes between the manifold and the riser. The gasket set that includes a plate to block the water in the off between the 2 pieces. The factory PCM fresh water system only does the motor so their manifolds don't have the spots to hook the hoses to for the different hose routing.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2014 at 10:37am
TX, not to get too far off the subject of cooling, but there's some pictures in this post of how to add an O2 sensor to a PCM riser on pages 2 & 3:

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?24565-Valve-spring-upgrade-with-gt40p-heads/

Came across it a while back while looking for something else and bookmarked it for future use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic