Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cuddy / fish nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cuddy / fish nautique
    Posted: February-26-2014 at 9:53am
I've been viciously hunting for a 2001 SN, but doing still having some doubts about whether that's really an appopriate boat for Lake Michigan.

I'm pretty intrigued by the Cuddy and Fish Nautiques. Searching around a bit, but don't see any for sale. Are they really hard to find? What's their reputation - super slow? Thinking if I could find one of them, it would probably get me out on the water on more days.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 10:48am
Fish is a center console, sure that's what you'd want?

If you want a traditional seating setup, you might consider a Southwind 20, with a deep-v hull and pronounced bow flare they really take the chop quite well.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 11:02am
You'd be hard pressed to find either one that was on a low salt diet anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Fish is a center console, sure that's what you'd want?

If you want a traditional seating setup, you might consider a Southwind 20, with a deep-v hull and pronounced bow flare they really take the chop quite well.

Think I'd prefer the cuddy, but the center console would be just as badass.

Southwind 20 looks cool as well. Also hard to find?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 4:38pm
And even cooler and harder to find is a center console SW20, known as the Tobago.

Any 1980+ Martinique would do OK. Mojo has an 83 for sale locally.

Nautiquehunter used to boat on Lake Michigan out of Indiana. I looked for a thread but couldn't find one. He's in Georgia now, so Private Message him.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Any 1980+ Martinique would do OK. Mojo has an 83 for sale locally.

Nautiquehunter used to boat on Lake Michigan out of Indiana. I looked for a thread but couldn't find one. He's in Georgia now, so Private Message him.

We've been in touch, hoping to see it soon. The Martinique would do better in the rough? Would the BFN be comparable as well?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 4:45pm
If you take a look at Mojo's 83 you will be amazed compared to some of the stuff you have been looking at. One hell of a boat with a big block to boot and a roomie plush interior.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 4:47pm
An 80-85 Martinique or Southwind (closed bow) is basically a luxurious BFN.

The 86-89 Martiniques are totally different.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

If you take a look at Mojo's 83 you will be amazed compared to some of the stuff you have been looking at. One hell of a boat with a big block to boot and a roomie plush interior.

Cool... Excited to see it.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 5:19pm
Agree that Mojo's Martinique looks pretty sweet.

I've only been on Lake Michigan a couple times in an SN, and it isn't something I would go out of my way to do unless very calm.

Is Chicago's waterfront relatively calm because the wind is mostly blowing offshore? Only been on the "Big Lake" on the MI side.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 5:54pm
The way Benjamin drives his footer across Green Lake on that rough water I would probably say you would be ok unless a storm on Michigan was blowing up.

I believe he was running something to the tune of 45 mph through 2 foot chop or so ha. I was in Mars 01 running with the nose up about 15 mph or so.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 5:58pm
Jamin, depending on where you are at there are some areas where there are breakwaters quite a ways off shore, so the in between can be decent even when the lake has some chop.

No matter which shoreline you are on if the wind is blowing inland it's going to be rough. Waves are much different then on smaller inland lakes, the crests are farther apart, so in some cases it isn't the constant bangin but the steady rockin, lol.

Doc, go see that Martinique, would be cool if it stayed in the Chicagoland area!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 6:43pm
john b also has Lake Michigan experience.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 7:05pm
Yeah, Quinner I would think Chicago would get especially bad with a good east wind out of a low pressure system.

My uncle who lived in South Holland for years had a good scare or two on the big lake while fishing.

You know what they say, "If the waves be rockin', don't come a knockin'."

Doc, do you want to use this boat to do stuff on the water or just get out on it? Or both?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Jamin, constant bangin but the steady rockin, lol.

Sounds like CQ is giving out his dating tips.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic