NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

might not make river run

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 8:44pm
Dui was calling for 12 we ended up at 11 at 600 rpm
Lakedog55
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 10:34pm
WOW blown up to water tested in only 3 pages nice job.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 10:48pm
Is that good? Shoot I thought I was being a pain. But I did make a couple of other post. And have been planning on the rebuild for two years.
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 10:58pm

lake Kerr Super clean lake in Ocala National Forest

Lakedog55
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 11:04pm
I have been planning 2 years still have a lot of boxes full of parts but at least now I got all the pieces time to get to work.When I get home next week going to finish the 454 so I can at least run big block till the monster is done.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2014 at 11:23pm
Good job, everyone should have a hard date that it needs to be done by so they can get it done like you did.

What's the part number on that K&N?
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 12:11am
Part Number 59-3264 marine. Then order the nipple u need. I did my stringers and floor sure I have same exact measurement as a stock boat. I got about 1/2 Inch of clearance.
Lakedog55
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 1:02am
I've got at least an inch left with the stock arrestor and the the stock 1in spacer, plenty of room in the Excel for just about anything with a SBF.     
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 1:19am
One small correction NOT sure i have same measurments.
Lakedog55
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 2:36am
Glad it is running so great already, you really did a great job to get it running this fast. Very Nice work and it looks great.
The temp may just be the newness of this engine. A new tight engine will make much more heat than a well seasoned engine. As long as it does not go higher than your current 160 I would be patient for the first 10-20 hours of use.
RPM does not scare me at all once an engine has run 30 minutes or more but heat does. I would keep any hard runs short initially to help it break in without creating any excess heat. I am not afraid to let it go full throttle all the way to red line but I keep it very brief and I don't do that until I verify what my total timing is so no parts get hurt. Total timing is the timing setting once the engine is at or above 3,500. By that point your timing advance should be all in.
Set back Timing lights make checking this very easy. If your initial is at 10 and you know the Ford likes a max of 35 degrees you rev it to 3,500 and hold it there while you check the timing. With a set back timing light you can rotate the dial to 35 degrees and adjust your timing mark to zero. This way you know it will not have too much timing at RPM. Total timing is much more important for survival than initial timing. If you vary the RPM a lot while in the break in process it helps the rings and bearing seat properly.
I would change the oil after the first 10-20 hours max, it is good to get the break in oil out and start again with clean fresh oil.
Sorry if you already know all this stuff, I just hate to see a new engine hurt when it is avoidable.
I hope you get many years of fun out of this build.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 10:32am
Thanks,
I was debating the break in oil. I am going to try and run it Sunday, and get it changed before river run. I do need to check total timing.
Thanks agian
Mike
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2014 at 12:31pm
Does it need a minimal time with break in oil? Wondering if I should change before or after river run? Has 2hrs on it now.
Lakedog55
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 1:53pm
In Cars, a 500 mile initial oil change is recommended. Converted to a boat I think that would be 10-15 hours for first oil change.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 5:51pm
Minimum time on the break in oil is really only applicable if you are going to switch to a synthetic. if you are going to move to a synthetic then you really should go at least 10 hours before changing.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 6:05pm
Fantastic Mike!

You better start checking the toilet for diamonds as I'm sure the pucker factor to git'er done before this weekend was off the chart!

You da Man!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2014 at 7:11pm
Still to tight. Only had time for a couple of hrs on it.
Lakedog55
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 2:15am
No matter what oil you choose to run after the break in, you should get the break in oil out of the engine after 10-15 hours use. The reason is to remove all the micro metal particles released into the engine after the first start up. You don't want these working in the oil and wearing out your brand new parts. Kind of like fine sand paper in the engine. If you cut the oil filter apart on a new engine you will be surprised at the metal partciles trapped in the filter after break in.
No matter how well your engine was cleaned after machine work you will still have micro metal in the break in oil that needs to come out.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 10:42am
My concern was getting it out to early. Going to put a few hours on it this weekend.
At the river.
Lakedog55
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 12:15pm
No such thing as too early. Even if you were breaking in a cam which I believe you weren't I like to get it out after it's tuned and been through a couple heat cycles.May just be anal about it but if there is anything that can be told by looking at oil or debris in filter I want to know asap.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 1:08pm
We changed the oil after 15 hours on a rebuilt engine last summer. I took the filter apart and there was some fine grit in the filter. I couldn't tell if it was metal of dirt. Sounds like that is typical of a new engine?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 1:55pm
You will even get that with a brand new block and all new parts.It's impossible to get 100% of the crud out before assembling a motor but never hurts to try.My brother used to build a lot of motors and can remember him putting time on test stand then removing oil pan and inspect and clean before installing
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 9:12pm
On classic older engines, the typical routine is to run the break in oil for a hour, drain, refill with a fresh batch of break in oil and then go for the 10 hour run. It's worked for me and many others!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2014 at 11:38pm
Thanks Pete
QUICK FUEL CARB DO NOT TRUST THEIR PRE INSTALLED GROUND WIRE.
i was getting spark at the throttle linkage, got lucky and found it. Scary scary scary.
Hooked up original ground and no spark.
Mike
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic