NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skier Down Flag Law in Illinois

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Really though I just don't get it, how does it add any element of safety?

Easy. All the FIB's that aren't going already will head to WI.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 5:13pm
Well there you go, the fact it's a law in Cali tells you it's not a good idea!!

Really though I just don't get it, how does it add any element of safety?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 4:52pm
Like I said Brian the laws they have on the books now are not enforced,their is one for drinking,drugs are last time I checked too but yet they come up with this?? It's just to feel good. Let's punish the innocent. We have noise limits too,never have seen anyone out checking,there are times we can't hear the tv and we are 100ft and across a road from the water. Illinois is dead set on driving everyone out with their goofy ideas.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 4:15pm
Get over it. That law passed over 45 years ago in California. No big deal. Mostly it gives the cops another way to find drunk boat drivers who are too drunk to remember to put the flag up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 4:12pm
the next level of this law would probably include a ski helmet with a M.O.B. light and gps tracking with auto deploy head to surface flares. these law makers should come visit the off shoreline here and see how many boats fly over or close to diver in the water flags .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:54pm
This was an accident just waiting to happen Tim,it would be like trying to walk across i75 in Atlanta at 4 pm. It is that crazy on the weekends here,I don't even go out unless it's early or after dinner on Sunday
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:47pm
Typical knee jerk reaction,we have to do something let's make it a law! While it was a terrible thing that happened, a flag would not have stopped or even helped. I cannot comment on the Lake County end but I do know in the McHenry County end of the chain, the laws in place now are not enforced. The only way to get stopped is when you don't have the user fee sticker displayed.We had better start writing our reps
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:42pm
I'm not a big fan of the flag proposal either, and it is highly unlikely that it would have prevented the accident that is cited since the other driver had been consuming drugs and alcohol all day.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Why not concentrate on laws on boats following too close to people being towed.

Exactly. There are laws in place already to keep other boats far enough away, but that's also assuming the towboat doesn't get too far away from downed skier. A flag will not fix this.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:35pm
So let me get this straight.... A flag on a boat 300 yards from where a skier/tuber has fallen is gonna make it safer for the person in the water how? How about the driver of the boat that is right behind the skier in the first place....Is he gonna pay more attention to the boat in front of him and look to see if it is flying a flag or not instead of looking at whats in the water in front of him? I've never understood that law to begin with.

Why not concentrate on laws on boats following too close to people being towed. We've all seen it!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 12:52pm
Article Regarding Proposed Skier Down Flag Law

Illinois State Lawmakers are pushing a plan forward to enact a law where all boaters pulling a skier would be required to raise a flag when their skier has fallen. Not a big fan of the state rep pushing this forward and the accident she is citing to have prompted the move is a horrible example of why it should happen.

The whole thing stinks, a tuber makes an absolutely horrible decision to pull his kid across a highway of boats in a virtual rush hour and the entire waterskiing community could ultimately be affected.

Really would hate to be forced to do the flag thing, don't really see how it would add any element of safety and just think it's a bad idea all the way around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic