NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skier Down Flag Law in Illinois

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skier Down Flag Law in Illinois
    Posted: February-27-2014 at 12:52pm
Article Regarding Proposed Skier Down Flag Law

Illinois State Lawmakers are pushing a plan forward to enact a law where all boaters pulling a skier would be required to raise a flag when their skier has fallen. Not a big fan of the state rep pushing this forward and the accident she is citing to have prompted the move is a horrible example of why it should happen.

The whole thing stinks, a tuber makes an absolutely horrible decision to pull his kid across a highway of boats in a virtual rush hour and the entire waterskiing community could ultimately be affected.

Really would hate to be forced to do the flag thing, don't really see how it would add any element of safety and just think it's a bad idea all the way around.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:35pm
So let me get this straight.... A flag on a boat 300 yards from where a skier/tuber has fallen is gonna make it safer for the person in the water how? How about the driver of the boat that is right behind the skier in the first place....Is he gonna pay more attention to the boat in front of him and look to see if it is flying a flag or not instead of looking at whats in the water in front of him? I've never understood that law to begin with.

Why not concentrate on laws on boats following too close to people being towed. We've all seen it!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Why not concentrate on laws on boats following too close to people being towed.

Exactly. There are laws in place already to keep other boats far enough away, but that's also assuming the towboat doesn't get too far away from downed skier. A flag will not fix this.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:42pm
I'm not a big fan of the flag proposal either, and it is highly unlikely that it would have prevented the accident that is cited since the other driver had been consuming drugs and alcohol all day.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:47pm
Typical knee jerk reaction,we have to do something let's make it a law! While it was a terrible thing that happened, a flag would not have stopped or even helped. I cannot comment on the Lake County end but I do know in the McHenry County end of the chain, the laws in place now are not enforced. The only way to get stopped is when you don't have the user fee sticker displayed.We had better start writing our reps
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 1:54pm
This was an accident just waiting to happen Tim,it would be like trying to walk across i75 in Atlanta at 4 pm. It is that crazy on the weekends here,I don't even go out unless it's early or after dinner on Sunday
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 4:12pm
the next level of this law would probably include a ski helmet with a M.O.B. light and gps tracking with auto deploy head to surface flares. these law makers should come visit the off shoreline here and see how many boats fly over or close to diver in the water flags .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 4:15pm
Get over it. That law passed over 45 years ago in California. No big deal. Mostly it gives the cops another way to find drunk boat drivers who are too drunk to remember to put the flag up.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 4:52pm
Like I said Brian the laws they have on the books now are not enforced,their is one for drinking,drugs are last time I checked too but yet they come up with this?? It's just to feel good. Let's punish the innocent. We have noise limits too,never have seen anyone out checking,there are times we can't hear the tv and we are 100ft and across a road from the water. Illinois is dead set on driving everyone out with their goofy ideas.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 5:13pm
Well there you go, the fact it's a law in Cali tells you it's not a good idea!!

Really though I just don't get it, how does it add any element of safety?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Really though I just don't get it, how does it add any element of safety?

Easy. All the FIB's that aren't going already will head to WI.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 6:08pm
The flag also indicates a rope in the water. I have one into boat but rarely ever use it because I ski where nobody else goes...yes there are places like that in California my secret spots areare nearly boat free memorial day, 4th of July, and labor day. The Delta is massive. I feel sorry for folks who try doing towed sports on overly crowded waters...that seems like a bad choice of locations.
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 7:11pm
X2

If it came this way it really wouldn't affect most of my skiing anyway. I rarely tow in Illinois with enforcement on the water. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind it though.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 7:18pm
Best thing to do is try to kill it before it becomes law.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 8:04pm
Hmmm, only raise it when a skier has fallen? Sounds a bit odd.
I like the flag law on Lake Springfield and other lakes in Illinois, but that law requires that you fly a flag any time you are pulling. My brother and I have found that the considerate boaters (the majority on Lake Springfield) see the flag and give you and your skier more room and try to stay away. I typically fly one when I tow for that reason and have had a good reception. To only raise it when a skier is down is contrary to most flag laws and may be confusing to people accustomed to abiding by them. I don't see where it is a real inconvenience when used at all times. Good skiers are easy to spot.
I had an idiot run over my tow rope at full speed while my daughter was in the water a few years back and there were only a few boats on the lake.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 8:20pm
They won't see a flag if they can't see you towing someone. In CA it's up when skier and or rope is in water alerting others that they need to look out. It works very well. There will always be idiots doing stupid stuff because you can't outlaw stupidity.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 8:27pm
John B, it's actually illegal to have the flag up when towing in California. Else, people would just put it up and leave it up all day. Wouldn't mean much. I know that to be the case in Kansas as well. I haven't checked the other 11 states that have flag laws.

Andy, I think you can outlaw stupidity, that's kind of what this law attempts to do. But, I agree with you tht you can't eliminate stupidity. We put the flag out when we stop for a swim as well. Around here it's enforced antime someone is on the platform, or in the water. Also agree that it probably saves as many ropes as anything.

Side note, you will find out quickly how stupid your non-boating friends are. Give them a simple task to raise the flag, when the skier is in the water. Guarantee you find them drinking a beer, fiddling with the stereo, staring at girls in another boat. You'll have to tell them all day long "put the flag up." Then, give the flag to an 8 year old. They'll treat it like a life or death responsiblity, every time. So what did California do, they raised the age of those who can do flag duty to 12 years old. Go figure.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

They won't see a flag if they can't see you towing someone. In CA it's up when skier and or rope is in water alerting others that they need to look out. It works very well. There will always be idiots doing stupid stuff because you can't outlaw stupidity.

I disagree about not seeing the flag if they don't see the skier. When you are towing a beginner, a tuber, or a wake surfer with a tower or Have any visual obstruction oncoming boats may not see your rider. I have seen a beginner suddenly decide to cut outside as an oncoming boat was passing.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 8:38pm
If I recall the guy that ran over the child had coke and alcohol in his system, don't think he was in any shape to see anything anyway.While I cannot imagine what the parents went thru,and feel bad for them, I question why they chose to go out when and where they did. Im sure it goes without saying if they had to do it all over---
"Encompassing more than 7,100 acres (29 km2) of water, 488 miles (785 km) of shoreline and 45 miles (72 km) of river, the Chain is the busiest inland recreational waterway per acre in the United States".
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

If I recall the guy that ran over the child had coke and alcohol in his system, don't think he was in any shape to see anything anyway.While I cannot imagine what the parents went thru,and feel bad for them, I question why they chose to go out when and where they did. Im sure it goes without saying if they had to do it all over---
"Encompassing more than 7,100 acres (29 km2) of water, 488 miles (785 km) of shoreline and 45 miles (72 km) of river, the Chain is the busiest inland recreational waterway per acre in the United States".

Wow, that's astonishing. You would know.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:02pm
I'll bet no one even heard about this one,I guess when you do it to
yourself it's ok. Maybe every pier needs lights. Rumor has it this
guy,who did not survive,had something in his system too. And to think the 25mph night time law did not prevent this Pier on the left
is what he hit first.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:04pm
So where does this flag go? Do you simply fly it from your tower or fly high pole?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:06pm
I've heard that some law enforcement frowns on using the flag for swimming.

I forgot to say it's also up if you have a ski or other device in the water.

The flag is about towing...not swimming, I understand why people do it but it's better to swim where you don't need to warn others with the flag or it will start to get ignored.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:24pm
I agree in the Delta Andy. Lakes, not so much. In the Delta, we just don't swim in ski zones, too crazy. I would hope the law would be frowning on swimmin in unsafe zones.

Jpass, just a hand held flag. In most states, it must be red or orange and be a minumum of 12X12. There are some companies that sell fancy pop up flags. Push a button, and an electri motor raises the flag. Push the button again, and it retracts. Waste of money IMO, but it is a nice piece of bling for those who favor bling.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 9:52pm

Because it's the "busiest" is exactly why you need the flag.
This is the life
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2014 at 10:20pm
You may want to fly a white flag on the Illinois Chain Of Lakes Gary.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 12:36am

Typical knee jerk reaction,we have to do something let's make it a law! While it was a terrible thing that happened, a flag would not have stopped or even helped. I cannot comment on the Lake County end but I do know in the McHenry County end of the chain, the laws in place now are not enforced. The only way to get stopped is when you don't have the user fee sticker displayed.We had better start writing our reps

Lake Oconee GA has 374 miles of shoreline and is typically deserted so not an issue, and I've never once seen any form of law enforcement craft, but gotta ask...what is a "user fee sticker"???
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:01am
It's another great Illinois way of getting more money out of you.All states have to maintain navigable waterways but poor Illinois is broke. So they created another govt body to oversee the Fox River Chain of Lakes.In 87 or 88 it was started and it was $10 for our boats.It has since gone up to 80 for our lenght and hp.Here are the fee's. As a Homeowner with property stakes actually in the water I have no more rights than the average Joe who only comes out to boat from the city.I live in one of the 2 counties that are involved,the sheriff's departments are contracted for enforcement. Our county is the most lax,if you learn their pattern you can go out with out a sticker and like I have said their main job is to make sure you bought a sticker,any thing else goes. Exhaust noise law,jet sking after dark,25mph speed limit after dark,all over looked. It's just another corrupt Illinois way of giving your supporters a job.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:06am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Lake Oconee GA has 374 miles of shoreline and is typically deserted so not an issue, and I've never once seen any form of law enforcement craft, but gotta ask...what is a "user fee sticker"???

The user fee pays for the nearly $4,000,000 budget to maintain and provide patrol and emergency services to the chain. It is a user fee that to me seems more fair than passing the costs on to those taxpayers who may never ride in a boat and may not have extra money in their personal budgets to subsidize our boating habit.
Fox Waterway Agency budget

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 1:23am
That nice to think but since the fee system has gone into effect now that the State does not have to maintain the system,have your taxes gone down in responce? You came out with me did you see what the 4mil budget has done? They charged the homeowners across the river from me to dredge the canals that have been there for 80+ years and hit the sewer line and then argued with the village on who should pay. Next time I see you I'll tell you more,don't forget Dad was Township Supervisor and County board member when this all went down and so knew the the who and why this went the way it did.I just saw by going on their site that SB2696 is being argued over to dissolve the agency. One of their points is to maintain my property value,surprised they didn't say it's for the children. Tell that to the neighbor who listed his house for 1 mil and sold for 400K
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic