NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hydrodynamics of inboards

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydrodynamics of inboards
    Posted: February-28-2014 at 6:32pm
Can anyone point me to a technical paper that discusses the physics of inboard boats such as our CCs. Until I saw Tim and Joe's boats at Green Lake I mistakenly believed that DD inboard ski boats were limited to speeds <60mph. There are so many forces that seem to be in conflict with this design. I can't get my head around some of them.
Thanx.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 7:27pm
more importantly...whats the fastest Tims boat will pull a barefooter?
This is the life
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 7:37pm
Flat bottom V-drives will easily go over 100mph. A flat bottom DD should be capable of the same. Just put a bigger motor in it and some dry stacks.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Flat bottom V-drives will easily go over 100mph. A flat bottom DD should be capable of the same. Just put a bigger motor in it and some dry stacks.

Ya might want to do a little more than that, less angle on the drive shaft would be a good place to start, steel running gear/prop, high speed rudder, and less hook on the back would be a minimum if you really want to push it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

more importantly...whats the fastest Tims boat will pull a barefooter?

Faster than just about anybody I know is willing to go! Low 60's, I'd guess. The boat is capable of mid 60's under the right conditions. This is the fastest I've clocked it, though I think its capable of a bit more with some carb tuning and hull tweaks.

John, I'd be interested in reading some articles too. Everything I know (which isnt much) has been gleamed from various sources on the web. There isnt a lot of widely shared hull theory, but some of the go-fast websites (screamandfly, offshoreonly) provide some clues. Lots of tribal knowledge out there. I think some of the principles that apply to go-fast outboards and i/o's are applicable, though inboards have more constraints and tricks surrounding the running gear, like Joe touched on.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2014 at 8:41pm
If I remember correctly Tim, you did 64.X on my iPhone on Green lake with me in the back seat. It was not a real speed run, just a quick roll on with no attempt to shift weight or try different water surfaces. There was some chop so that probably loosened it up a bit.
A couple of the hard to imagine things going on are asymmetric thrust, prop shaft turbulence, and possible rudder stall from being at least partially shielded by the slip stream of the prop shaft and the unequal pressure from the p factor. Sometimes when I try to picture it I envision a condition where one side of the prop is actually producing drag while the other produces thrust. I know it is possible since my friends V drive Cole runs over 100mph in the 1/8 mile at Blarney Island. It is quite a different animal and very dangerous even by my standards.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 2:39am

NG,
Besides some HP gain, what do the dry stacks contribute to the hydrodynamics?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 2:31pm
They sound faster
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 11:37pm
To alter the strut angle very much you have to move the engine forward or down or go to a v drive. Lower strut agle would make it faster, but then you get more bow rise. Everything's a trade off, how fast do you want to go and how much handling and ski ability do you want to give up?
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 12:52pm
John,

Take a look at anything by Savitsky, he goes well beyond the principles of planing hulls.

Savitsky 1
Savitsky 2

Noel
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 3:42pm
Wow, I wonder how many boat manufacturers did this amount of math.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Wow, I wonder how many boat manufacturers did this amount of math.

I'd say not many especially in the early days. Gar Wood for example would design his hulls from his knowledge and experience. It was more of "seat of the pants" engineering.

John,
I've been trying without success to find the patent that was used to design the hull for my X55 Dunphy with the steps. The principal of getting more hull out of the water was an old one but for the X55 it worked. The 55 designation was for them wanting the boat to go 55. Mines close as it's been radar'd at 54. Steps in the hulls go way back to the gentleman's racers and then carried over to to the modern hydros. I remember one comment Reid said way back that he was going to take the chain saw to the bottom of one of his hulls and create steps!! I know he never went that far!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 8:16pm
Yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yet

Pending and I'm sure still in the back of his mind!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 7:25pm
The Problem Child top fuel hydro set the world drag race record
at 262 mph in a 1000 feet.

THAT was a pass!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 7:46pm
Problem Child isn't a flat bottom or a v hull, it's a hydro so totally different animal. It's also got a W drive 2 props with 1 motor.

Oh and the 1000ft record is 3.39@258, I was there for that one.    They seem to have that boat dialed in now to run 3.50's at about 250mph, it's very reliable and they still have something left. Spirit of Texas can get into the 2.40's, but it they break a lot of stuff some time though they break Problem Child and get a win.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2014 at 10:50pm
Hydrodynamics of inboards is the name of the thread so I though it out there.

The Problem Child face book page says 265.52 is there best MPH

If the Spirit of Texas can hit on the combination before they run out of
money they CAN win the championship but it'll be a while before there in
the 2.40s (I know ya meant 3.40s)

Texas has a LOT of hot rods (how bout those Texas Fuel Altereds)    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2014 at 12:11am
It is kind of funny how almost every Fuel boat is either based in TX or has a driver from TX.   It's a pretty big deal locally, I know at least one person who races in every class all the way up to Alcohol Flat, and mr Erlich lives just up the road in Round Rock.

I was trying to keep things pointed in the hull differences that we have, flat and V. The W drive is a whole mother ball game and as far as I know that is a custom piece. Last summer Eddie Knox was going to rebuild one and had every thing ready to crack it open, but unfortunately a guy I work with was on the rope so I had to leave the pits to watch him run. I really want to know what's inside that box, and the next time I get a chance I won't leave.

I think they may have made some quicker and faster runs, but haven't backed them up for an official record. As for the Spirit of TX, I've seen some absolutely amazing driving by Scotty over the years and I know they are the only ones that seem to be able to push Problem Child, unfortunately last year they were so far back all they could do is try to take out PC. They purposely sand bagged qualifying in San Angelo to meet PC in round 1 and ran a quicker time but red lighted. They came back in Marble Falls and qualified 1 and then all hell broke loose on Sunday with the broken drive shaft. Can't wait for things to get started again, another month or so till it's game on.

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2014 at 8:47pm
Back to tow boats.
All of them are designed to wet a lot of the hull to track straight. While the guy at the end of the rope is doing his level best to knock it off course.
Joe and Tim pretty much over power the friction of the water to get to 60mph. Most will do 50 with a warmed up engine.
300 hp should get ya to 50, 400+ to 60 is pretty much common knowledge.
Pretty soon after that the stock underwater hardware would be seeing
its stress limits.

When I worked on the F-4 Phantom we would say with enough horse power you can make a brick fly
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2014 at 9:37pm
Not only is a larger wetted surface advantageous for tracking, but spreading the weight of the boat over the largest possible surface area makes the smallest wake. That sort of design methodology makes for plenty to overcome when it comes to pushing these tugboats faster. Thats one of the reasons the hydrogated 196 (and possibly 206 and 216) offered in the late 2000's have pretty good speed potential- they essentially have removable hook, allowing them to lift the bow at high speeds. They arent small boats and require a lot of hp to push them faster, but there is speed potential there.

If youre using a 2nd gen SN (70-81) as your benchmark hull, 300hp will get you over 50mph, but Im not sure that 400hp will guarantee you see 60mph. Alan's '81 and Hotboat's Martinique were in the 380hp range and were 56-57mph boats. Newer/larger hulls, starting with the BFN and 2001 will require higher power levels to hit those speed numbers. Both of those boats start to reach hull limitations in the mid-upper 50's that require even more hp to push through. Joe's '83 probably is pushing a tad north of 500hp to touch 60mph, and I'm not far behind... though the v-hull BFN does a better job of getting up and out of the water than the flat bottomed 2001.

Bill Burgess shared a few secrets on here as to how he got his '80 SN to run fast (allegedly 72mph on the radar). It included turning a steel speed prop (11x15ish) a lot of RPM, as well as a shallower shaft angle. Not sure what he had for hp, but he did have nitrous on the boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 1:27am
Here you go, roughly same size boat as ours 20ft and an slight V bottom. Notice the expected Hp and the expected speeds. Since it's a GN mold I suspect it will handle and not just go in a strait line. If they don't get really carried away with the rigging my guess is the price would be about the same as a 200.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?106665-Connolly-21-V-Drive
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 4:07am
I'm still here, I have been watching this thread and have nothing to add since I really don't know anything. I'm also still trying to muddle through the Savitski papers. Thanks everyone!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 9:25am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Here you go, roughly same size boat as ours 20ft and an slight V bottom. Notice the expected Hp and the expected speeds. Since it's a GN mold I suspect it will handle and not just go in a strait line. If they don't get really carried away with the rigging my guess is the price would be about the same as a 200.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/showthread.php?106665-Connolly-21-V-Drive

Im surprised that they only expect 75-80mph out of 700hp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2014 at 9:56am
Those guys will run an automatic transmission which probably takes more Hp to turn and then add in a drive shaft and a drive and a very long prop shaft and you loose a lot more Hp by the time you get to the prop. Also figure that's in some very nasty water where you can't stay on the throttle all the time.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2014 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

NG,
Besides some HP gain, what do the dry stacks contribute to the hydrodynamics?

NG,
I'd still like to know about the dry stacks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 3:11am
Not an inboard, but I think everyone would be happy with about half what this thing does.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ5sLPcWsDY&sns=fb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic