NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vernonfarmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Removal
    Posted: March-09-2014 at 12:15am
1955 Atom Skier. I'd like to restore the steering wheel but I don't want to screw something up trying to remove it. What do I need to know in order to remove this steering wheel? The center button feels spring loaded like it might be a horn button. Boat doesn't have a horn...doesn't mean it didn't have one at some point, though. Any help is awesome!
John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 9:49am
John,
Remove the throttle linkage from the bottom of the column and disconnect the wire to the horn button. The center throttle assembly will then come out the top of the column. Under it you will find a nut holding the wheel on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 4:34pm
Thanks! You make it sound so easy. Does the horn button come out with the throttle assembly? So that IS a horn button?

John
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 4:53pm
Yes its a horn, like Pete sAid it's attached to a tube that runs inside the column. Loosen it just below the gear box and the entire assembly will pull out. That's the easy part, you'll need a puller most likely have make a plate to behind the wheel for the puller to grip. If your wheel is real bad they can be found on eBay pretty cheap . Search for Sheller wheel
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 5:04pm
John,
It doesn't look like your wheel is in that bad of shape. Some surface crazing but no evident cracks. They can be restored by sanding and painting. The one I did for my Atom was painted with some white Easypoxy tinted at the hardware store to a ivory color. If you do have some cracking, just epoxy them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 8:52pm
I used Fil-It on the cracks in this wheel. Works great. Shouldn't need much more than sanding and paint for the Atom Skier.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by vernonfarmer vernonfarmer wrote:

I used Fil-It on the cracks in this wheel.

John,
What is "fil-it". I did a search for it and could not find it. If it's one of the products designed for the DIT'r like JB weld, I would not trust it to hold anything!! Stick with a decent product for industrial use. The "fil-it" sounds like something Billy Mays would have sold! JUNK!!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 10:51pm
Didn't spell it exactly right...Fill-It. Check it out. Good stuff!

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1264&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=fill_it_epoxy
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2014 at 10:52pm
What search engine are you using with that fancy U-Verse?? My Verizon service and google found it right away at your second most favorite place

fill-it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

What search engine are you using with that fancy U-Verse?? My Verizon service and google found it right away at your second most favorite place

Gary,
Thanks for the help with the search. I use Chrome so that's the search engine I typically use and as mentioned it didn't come up with anything.

John,
Smith's products are all very good. I feel he did plenty of research in developing his products but I would worry about the Fill-it for a high strength application. It uses wood flour as a filler and "is easy to sand" so it's a very low strength product meant for bulk filling and fairing. You are also paying a very high price for it. Get some epoxy base resin and hardener and different fillers to add for the specific application. Cab-o-sil would be my filler choice for fixing a broken wheel. Check out US Composites for all your epoxy needs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vernonfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 11:14am
I'm glad you found the Fill-It info...I didn't buy it specifically for the steering wheel. I used product left over from another boat restoration project. After eight years of use, the Fill-It repaired areas are still pristine. I thought it was a little pricy at first but it is super easy to use, goes a long way, and does what its supposed to. That, to me, equals value.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic