Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Stuck - Yuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
chuckactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Stuck - Yuck
    Posted: March-10-2014 at 4:03pm
I picked up an 86 2001 at the end of the summer. The boat was in decent shape and seemed pretty well maintained up till about 2011.The boat ran strong but has been down a bit on power. Of course the 5,000+ altitude here doesn't help.

When going back through the service records, I found a receipt from 1999 that said "distributor stuck, couldn't adjust timing". Sure enough, the timing light revealed that I was off by 10 degrees. Needless to say, the base of the distributor was heavily corroded.

I assumed the first time I put any force to it the housing of the distributor at the base would snap. I went out and purchased a new Mallory unit in anticipation.

I soaked the distributor down with Kroil for about 2 weeks. Grabbed the strap wrench and "pop", the housing cracked right at the base. So I went medieval on it for about 3 hours. Using everything from giant pry bars, torches, dremels and drills. Somehow the aluminum casting had become one with the cast iron block. Of course even the hold down bolt rounded off and needed to be cut off.

After fill the put with chunks of broken distributor and aluminum chips I gave up. I put the boat back in storage and let it sit for a month. With a 60deg day yesterday I went and got the boat and resumed my attack. I grabbed a right angle air grinder and cut the distributor shaft off just under the advance mechanism. This allowed me to get the rest of the body off and out of the way.

After I had room, I whipped out a real big drill bit (almost 1/2") and took some big chunks out of the casting. Once I did this I could hit the bottom of the housing (what was left of it) with a big screwdriver and got it to finally move a little. After some persuading with my giant channel locks, it let go.

I had to grind a little screwdriver into a file to chisel off the corroded aluminum from the block.

Things were going so good I tackled the broken hold down bolt. After getting the threads soaked with Kroil for a month, it barely put up a fight. I drilled the bolt with a cobalt bit and tapped in a bolt extractor. For the first time in my life, the bolt screwed right out without breaking off the extractor in it.

Now I just need to swap the gears on my Mallory distributor and perform a long awaited tune up.

Chuck
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 4:09pm
Wow, what a nightmare! Job well done. No bits and pieces made it down into the engine?

Dont toss the reverse rotation gear thats attached to the old shaft... it'd come in handy for somebody. Same goes for the points plate, etc in the old dizzy.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by chuckactor chuckactor wrote:

Using everything from giant pry bars, torches, dremels and drills. Somehow the aluminum casting had become one with the cast iron block. Of course even the hold down bolt rounded off and needed to be cut off.

LOL I'd love to see a time-lapse video of this. Nice work finally getting it out.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 4:57pm
The only thing left from the original distributor is the gear. If anyone needs one, let me know. The rest was literally beat, cut or mutilated into tiny bits.

I bought the Mallory one for the new distributor. Of course the two Mallory gears have different size roll pins. The reverse gear has a larger diameter pin and requires drilling the hole in the distributor shaft larger to install the new gear. I did get smart and waited to see the original gear before I modified my new distributor....
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 6:06pm
Why not drill a properly sized hole in the gear to save modification of the new shaft?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 6:50pm
The replacement gear is already drilled with the larger hole. Mallory said they had issues with the 1/8" pins shearing. They moved up to a larger pin and all the replacement gears are sized for the larger roll pin. Since my distributor came from eBay it's probably old stock.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2014 at 6:55pm
Gotcha. I was just thinking if you mess up the gear that's a whole lot cheaper replacement than a Dizzy. I scored a NOS standard rotation 87- pertronix unit for my boat in the day and just swapped gears.
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 6:32pm
The same thing happened to me on my 1987 351.

I tried everything from air hammers...

To this chain wrench.

I also tried heating, freeze sprays, Kroil. The only thing that worked was making a slide hammer attachment with jaws to yank it out. I was thrilled when it finally came out. It took weeks.

And a fresh one went in.

1987 MC ProStar 190
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 8:32pm
I guess cast iron and cast aluminum don't have a loving companionship. My 75 307 Mustang distributor came out without effort. Maybe being up front near the wet stuff (pump, thermo.) makes a difference..
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 9:43pm
Since I installed EI 5 years ago, I haven't moved my dizzy.    I think I'll loosen it up just to avoid this calamity.

Thanks for posting, it wasn't on my radar at all.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 10:41pm
Now that's an accomplishment.
Hope I remember the slide hammer trick.     
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Since I installed EI 5 years ago, I haven't moved my dizzy.    I think I'll loosen it up just to avoid this calamity.

Thanks for posting, it wasn't on my radar at all.

Exactly my thoughts. I guess I have to question how long it's been since a tune up was done on either of these engines? It must've been an awful long time for the dizzy to freeze up that. And what extraneous conditions may have been a contributing factor in this? Water splashed up on the dizzy? Salt exposure? Electrolysis?
Maybe it's some other phenomena about having the dizzy being in front of the engine? You Ford guys always seem to have some kind of weird problem like this.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Maybe it's some other phenomena about having the dizzy being in front of the engine? You Ford guys always seem to have some kind of weird problem like this.

That's because they keep running and running you never have to mess with them. Pretty soon 20 years have slipped by. Good example is Jbears motor, 34 ish old only has had heads replaced. Now his mechanic,who has a newer Chevy has had to bore the block,replace pistons,cam,why I'll even guess the crank isn't original that's my theory anyway and I'm stickin to it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 1:26pm
I have a 29 yr old Chevy that's never been apart purrs like a kitten.Maint..Maint....
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

That's because they keep running and running you never have to mess with them. Pretty soon 20 years have slipped by. Good example is Jbears motor, 34 ish old only has had heads replaced. Now his mechanic,who has a newer Chevy has had to bore the block,replace pistons,cam,why I'll even guess the crank isn't original that's my theory anyway and I'm stickin to it

That's too funny. You are absolutely correct sir. The crank is not original but it does run a lot better now then it ever did before, and it wasn't exactly a pooch in it's factory form.

FYI, I still do have the original crank. It's in prefect shape and I plan to use it for a new tow vehicle if the planets ever align. A marine forged crank would be the perfect base for a really stout 355ci tow motor.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
H2oXtremes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2016 at 10:16pm
did you have to use a lot of force using your slide hammer? I would be worried it would bust off the top like the previous post of pictures had issues with. I have not given or looked at my distributor just yet but I do know it wont turn to advance.

I am dreading this but I may buy a slide hammer if this really did work for you.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 11:52pm
I'm the guy who used the slide hammer. It worked really great. I'd recommend combining it with the chain wrench. I had it spinning about 1mm in either direction with the chain wrench before attempting the slide hammer. The slide hammer DID work really well though. I'd spray down the base with penetrating oil for days leading up to it.
1987 MC ProStar 190
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 11:26am
Wow what a mess.   This is one reason i keep my engines clean and painted. Compressed air to blow it dry. Some WD once in a while in areas like this will help prevent this problem.   

I would hone the distributor hole. Stuff a rag down it with atf on it to catch the junk. Rinse it all down with diesel fuel and drain out the pan.
beretta5spd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 6:41pm
Hey guys,

I realize this is an old thread but I thought I'd add to it instead of starting a new one.

Here's what the inside of my 86 PCM 351 distributor looks like. As you can imagine the boat runs terribly.

Where do you recommend buying a new Dizzy and what was the part number you used? Man I'm not looking forward to getting a rusted unit out of the block. Thanks for all the info in this thread though.

Dwight
1996,1997 Sport Nautique 1986,1992 Ski Nautique - Sold
1995 Sport Nautique - Current
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 8:15pm
If you can afford the $385 price tag, the DUI marine distributor is the ticket:

Link

I have one in my SN. Love it.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

If you can afford the $385 price tag, the DUI marine distributor is the ticket:

Link

I have one in my SN. Love it.

JQ

That looks awesome... does it come with the correct gearing for the 86 engine?

Also, I'm hoping for a cheaper option.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 9:15pm
Hi, I am going to be tackling this project maybe next weekend. I ordered my distributor from www.skidim.com last week for my 1985 351w motor. It wasn't cheap but I guess to be on the safe side I would rather be safe than sorry. Apparently this is the exact fit match up for these boats. The link is below to the one I purchased. I spoke to skidim on the phone just to verify it would all just drop in and be exact for a left handed turning engine and he said it would be the same as the original Prestolite distributor, I guess Mallory just bought prestolite. He also informed me for some reason the distributors are going to be going up in price soon.

351 Distributor
1985 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 9:24pm
Those look like fantastic distributors but I find it hard to justify $600 Canadian dollars after exchange rate and shipping for a distributor.

I'm hoping someone may have used one of these:

click me

And swapped the gear from their old distributor.

That would come to around $275 Canadian dollars after exchange and shipping which would be a lot easier to justify on a $3000 boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 9:37pm
Well why not go this route and reuse your old gear? Can't get any cheaper than that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 9:37pm
Ill tell you what, if my old one comes out in one piece you can have it.

I just had new advance springs, new cap and rotor installed last summer. Otherwise its going in the trash if no takers. There is nothing wrong with mine other than the fact its rusted into the block and I couldn't advance it for my timing.

All winter my boat has been in storage and had the distributor in the block soaking in some PB Blaster. So im hoping it will beak free when I attempt to remove it next weekend.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by H2oXtremes H2oXtremes wrote:

Ill tell you what, if my old one comes out in one piece you can have it.

I just had new advance springs, new cap and rotor installed last summer. Otherwise its going in the trash if no takers. There is nothing wrong with mine other than the fact its rusted into the block and I couldn't advance it for my timing.

All winter my boat has been in storage and had the distributor in the block soaking in some PB Blaster. So im hoping it will beak free when I attempt to remove it next weekend.

that sounds fantastic. please keep me posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta5spd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well why not go this route and reuse your old gear? Can't get any cheaper than that.

thank you Gary that's a great idea if h20extreme's offer doesn't work out
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by H2oXtremes H2oXtremes wrote:

I spoke to skidim on the phone just to verify it would all just drop in and be exact for a left handed turning engine and he said it would be the same as the original Prestolite distributor,          

An 85 should be a right hand turning engine,has yours been replaced with a automotive engine?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H2oXtremes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 10:57pm
No its stock, I verified the rotation, I thought it was right handed based on how the front of the engine pullys turned. But I verified that its left handed of course with several mechanics and when I ordered the distributor that indeed if my pullyes are turning right handed if I am standing in front of the engine that I would have a left handed turning engine.
1985 Ski Nautique 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2016 at 11:21pm
Well as long as you did your homework Keep us in the loop on how the install goes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic