Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acme 431 Prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acme 431 Prop
    Posted: April-01-2014 at 12:04am
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy an Acme 431.

3 Blade, 13 X 13, LH, 1" Bore

Let me know if anyone has one laying around they'd rather see on the water!

Cheers
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 8:20am
Whatcha putting it on? That's a pretty specific request- not a prop suited for any correct craft I can think of.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 9:05am
Would suite mine just fine.
Get two
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 9:21am
14 x16 OJ available. Came off my 96 Sport
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 2:48pm
Going on a 351W with GT40p heads, custom Comp Cam, Edlebrock intake, etc. so the old stock Federal isn't going to cut it. I'm also now considering the Acme 475 (just a little less pitch).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 3:05pm
What boat? LH powertrain must mean its a non-CC?

Youre describing a pretty common upgrade package that'll probably put you in the 300-325hp range. Assuming this is for a 18-19' ski boat, a stock 13x13 sized prop is still going to work best. The stock sized replacement Acme is going to be a 13x12 (540/541), and that is probably your best bet. An Acme with 12.625-13" pitch is going to turn more like a 13x14 Federal/OJ. More hp does not usually drive a prop change. Only when you make modifications that result in a higher hp peak at a similar RPM (stroker, etc) do you need to go bigger... with a top end upgrade like you have, youre pushing the hp peak up and to the right (higher RPM), so you'll want to let the extra power turn the engine faster.

Really, a water test with the stock prop is your safest bet... but if you want to have a new prop lined up, I'd be looking for an Acme 13x12.
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 5:39pm
It an '88 Ski Supreme (If I had my choice it would have been a Nautique, hands down haha). But yes, 18.5 feet.

Right now with the stock 13x13 Federal at WOT its spinning 5300 RPM with only a top speed of 41 mph. So I figured the Acme 431 or 475 CNC'ed (with more surface area and therefore 'more' pitch than the nonCNC'ed stock) should drop the RPMs back down into the 4800 range with a higher WOT speed. Where as the stock-to-Acme comparable 541 would probably keep me at those higher RPMs. Thoughts?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 5:54pm
I think your 13x13 is junk. Its not a good baseline anymore, as the numbers dont make sense. Its either been repitched significantly or its flexing at higher speeds. This behavior is not being caused by your modest hp increase. Put it on the mantle.

Borrow a stock 13x13 if you can to get a good baseline. Otherwise, take a chance on a 541. It should have you turning in the 5k rpm range based on what youve done. That should also be the sweet spot in terms of where your engine is now making peak power. A 431 would knock you back another 400rpm. I dont think youve got the hp to turn it where you want to, and it will put extra stress on your driveline.
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 11:47pm
Well we've got too much ice to make that happen now. But I've been getting the itch. So I'm open to finding a 541, 475, or 431 and maybe I'll do a whole test series and write something up. I can borrow a stock 13x13 Federal/Michigan no problem. So if anyone has any of these three, let me know!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 10:55am
You gotta listen to Tim. He's definitely on the right track.

My LH American Skier with a stroker pushed a stock 13x13 federal prop 5900RPM @ 55MPH. I'm currently running the 431 at 5200 (maybe touching 5300) and 54MPH.
Something isn't right with your numbers. 5300 @ 41MPH is either a junk prop like Tim says or a tach/speedo is way off. Was that with a GPS?

There is no way you're gonna be able to turn a 431 with your mods. Stick with the 541. You're gonna like it a lot.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 1:25pm
I agree with Timmy and Eddie. The Chevys like to spin a few hundred rpm more than the Fords and Eddies set up is pretty stout. With the power range you are pushing even with a stock 13x13 you should be seeing a much higher speed at that rpm. I vote junk original 13x13. It would probably be a hole shot turd with a 431 on it.

I have a new 541 on the shelf I ordered for a guy I can try to make you a deal on.

The supreme isn't a slow hull I think my uncles stock 240 horse 87 is good for about 42-44 or so I assume you should be seeing a lot more speed than that. Confirm with GPS and Tach.
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 3:09pm
Thanks for all the great info and insight guys.

The 41 mph was taken with a GPS. I suppose my tach could be off. Anything else I should be considering or thinking about doing?

You've all sold me on the 541. Can't wait to get on the water to get some numbers and finally see what this boat can do.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 3:39pm
Geez, If you're only seeing 41 out of it with those mods and at that RPM, I just envision that prop being twisted like a pretzel and have only two of the three blades left on it. I'm surprised you didn't have any vibration.
Even in stock form that boat should easily see 42-44 or more like Zach said.
Was the GPS a real GPS and not a cell phone app? The Cell phone apps are also junk. You need to use a real GPS.
You should also try and verify the tach. See if you can borrow a shop tach from someplace.

Like Tim said, see if you can borrow a known good 13x13 federal from someplace to get a good baseline before you start swapping props. Then make sure it has a really good tune with the stock prop. Then you'll really know what the new prop does for you after you change it out.

You have to eliminate a bad prop, bad GPS, bad tach and a bad tune (or any combination of all the above) before you can get the best performance out of those mods.

Definitely keep us updated.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
cannonball23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannonball23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2014 at 7:05pm
Looking for prop advice too. 351 is at the speed shop right now getting a complete overhaul with heads, intake, and cam upgrades. Expecting 325hp or so based on what I've seen in posts (and it will be so pretty, too!) I have had the stock prop serviced a few times and was wondering about getting a second. Mulling over the idea of having two different pitches--one for towing and one for cruising. Does anyone use two different pitch props for different times? When my stock prop is clean, I get in the mid 40's but just a little ding in the prop and it comes way down. So I'm either going for an exact prop to use for a spare or have two to swap out for different activities.
Jeff S
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2014 at 11:02am
More info needed. What prop, boat, WOT RPM and speed were you getting in stock form? Any high altitude running?
What kind of watersports are you pulling?

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannonball23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 11:22pm
Ok... I spent an hr at the prop shop the other day and they are setting me up with an acme 542 i believe. They will have me run the boat, note the wot rpm and tweak it from there. They said they can really move these newer props around for you
Jeff S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannonball23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 11:31pm
The '85 2001 Nautique came with a 14/14 OJ prop when I bought it. It topped out about 4200 rpm wot and gave me 45mph or so measured with a gps. 700' above sea level here where we tow all kinds of toys and ability levels off of the classic tow loop on the stock pylon. It pulled pretty well but was not running reliably. The main reason for the rebuild is nagging little problems that keep popping up.
Jeff S

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannonball23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 11:37pm
Is 541/542 the left and right hand version of the same prop? If not I have made a grave error...
Jeff S
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2014 at 10:42am
541 is a LH 13x12
540 is a RH 13x12
543 is a LH 13x11.5
542 is a RH 13x11.5

Yes, you made a grave error.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2014 at 11:01am
By the way, if the mods you speak of are correct and you're not loading up the boat with 2000# or more of ballast for wakeboarding, don't waste your time with the 543. Get the 541 and call it a day.

Eddie
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:22am
So with the Acme 475 on my boat, I get 46mph at WOT spinning 4700 RPM.

Turns out the 'stock' prop I had said 13x13 on it but once I got it off, we all looked at it like whoa that's small. Its roughly only 11" in diameter and the blades are not radially symmetric at all. But the Acme... yes! She's so smooth with the Acme.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 12:05pm
They wear down with age...if that prop came on the boat its 26 years old, it was probably 13" when it started just got ground down. You must have pretty hard water in your lake.

Glad the Acme's working out for you. My dad and I both upgraded this year and we love them
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 2:54pm
I bought the boat to restore it completely and rebuilt the engine, so it was a true mystery prop. Could have been a couple reconditionings later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannonball23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 8:48pm
well I ended up with a 542 as my CCSN is a right hander. Prop tech says he can work around the .5 degree. The 14/14 OJ will be my spare. It will be interesting to see what they each do...
Jeff S
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic