Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Bimini Top Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chuckactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Bimini Top Question
    Posted: April-01-2014 at 3:43pm
Sorry... I searched a ton of the Bimini Top Threads and couldn't find the answer.

I want to add a bimini top to my 85 Ski Nautique. My current plan is to install a 5 foot long 3 foot tall model. I have been looking at GMI's offerings as well as some others.

I would really like the top to be able to fold forward over the windshield. Is there a particular size, brand or mounting configuration that will allow me to do this? Slightly taller, longer?

Thanks,
Chuck

85 SN 2001
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 5:07pm
Has it a tower? Ive been looking for a fitted one for my Tique and have come to the conclusion that would have to get one custom made.
This would cost far more than Im prepared to pay so am toying with the idea of buying a generic tower bimini (ie without those nasty straps) and modifying it to fit a smaller beam width by shortening the frame and altering the canvas.
Will be a pain in the a$$ mind
'82 Ski Tique
chuckactor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 5:49pm
No tower. I figured if as long as it was mounted outside the windshield frame, I would just need one tall enough to clear the bottom of the windshield when folded forward. Is there more to it?

Chuck
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 6:05pm
No, thats about it. Being able to fold the bimini forwards in front of the windshield is a lot easier if you install the bim backwards.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No, thats about it. Being able to fold the bimini forwards in front of the windshield is a lot easier if you install the bim backwards.

and the bimini doesn't care which way it is mounted. GMI bimini's seem to be the best value and many CCF members have them. Mine has to be about 5 years old, used everyday, and still looks like new.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2014 at 10:04pm
I just looked up GMI, and their website has expired.   Maybe an oversight, but could indicate that they are no longer available. does anyone have recent experiences with them?
BoatCoversandTops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoatCoversandTops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 7:56pm
Look no further Chuckactor!

It looks like you have done your homework and already know the size you need but here is a link to the suggested size Carver top for your boat:

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/CORRECT_CRAFT_129/SKI_NAUTIQUE_2001_I-O_3820/all_0/

Here is the 30" tall top on a Mastercraft boat:

http://www.carvercovers.com/wp-content/gallery/bimini-tops-new/3-bow-30-in-mastercraft-aquamarine-action.jpg

Our Bimini tops can be folded forwards or towards the rear by removing one set of hold-down straps.

Carver Bimini tops are USA made in Landrum, SC and are built with only the best materials and components in the marine industry.

Visit our site for full instructions on how to measure, assemble and install your Correct Craft Bimini top:

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/by_dimensions/

Feel free to contact me again for any further questions or to place an order. I will be happy to extend an additional discount to our already discounted online prices.
Shannon with Boat Covers Direct
1-866-626-8377
shannon@coversdirect.com
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2014 at 12:34am
I have recently ordered a bimini through tower bimini's will be installing this weekn end. Will let you know how it turns out.

For what it is worth I would suggest that if your bimini is to extend past your pylon that you equip it with a zipper so that a fly high could be used if desired.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 3:52pm
i
schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 3:53pm
i have the super sport bimini from carver covers direct online and it is the best looking one. sleek tight and low comes 36in and can easily be cut down to 30in. folds flat when folded forward. use the link in the previous post. its the best one Period. forget the other brands! also the site is running great!
schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2014 at 4:03pm
just go to boatcoversdirect.com scroll to bimini tops click the 4th box to the right Super Sport. you wont be happy with the regular one make sure you get the SUPER SPORT trust me
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 12:59pm
I have a Carver on my '89 SN and it will lay in front of the windshield when folded.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:54am
Allow me to jump in here with questions?? I had the great fortune to WIN a Carver Bimini from White Lake Marine, last week at the White Lake mini!! Carver called me and were great about it, even gave me the more expensive "Sunbrella" fabric!! My Questions;
Mount backwards?
What about my Sky High pole? Advice? 5'x 30"H x 85-90"w.

Jerry
Js
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 1:16pm
Jerry
I cannot recall what boat you have but the ability to lay the top flat when not in use is preferred.
If you frequently use your skylon extension I would ask the to install a zipper that would permit the pylon to extend through the top (I had this option on an old top I got from Taylor)

Your tolerance to the sun and what times you are on the water should help guide you in the size of the top
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 1:31pm
I am pretty sure that you won a boat cover at WL, not a bimini... just in case there was some confusion! A cover is quite a bit more valuable.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 2:30pm
You are correct, a cover was won, however, I garage the boat (1992 SN) and I could use a bimini. They were great about allowing me that, and its not that much different in price according to web. The going price on the Bimini with the Sunbrella fabric is $450 +/-. And the question for the "backwards" mount was for the ability to lay it down in front of the windshield?
Js
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Jerry
I cannot recall what boat you have

You can click on the picture under his name.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2014 at 8:58am
Thanks Adam,

I was replying from my phone and am admittidly challenged in doing so.....
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2014 at 8:13pm

Thanks Adam,

I was replying from my phone and am admittidly challenged in doing so.....

I can help out Greg, give me the new 2005 that the girls fell in love with, and #1, I will not need a Bimini, and #2, you will NEVER forget what year and type boat I have!! Deal? Haha.
They have the cover being specially manufactured for me now. I have all questions covered, ha, get it, covered?!
Js
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 9:03am
Jerry
Boy that sounds like a great plan. Ran this by the family and well they just did not fully see the up side to this offer sorry about that. You guys are welcome to stop and play if your traveling brings you close by
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 9:49am

Jerry
Boy that sounds like a great plan. Ran this by the family and well they just did not fully see the up side to this offer sorry about that. You guys are welcome to stop and play if your traveling brings you close by

Well, we sure saw the upside! Haha. Same to you if ever down this way.
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic