NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 BFN Exhaust Manifold Porting

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 BFN Exhaust Manifold Porting
    Posted: April-07-2014 at 1:59pm
I'm finally getting around to pulling the engine with the cracked block in my BFN and i popped the Exhaust manifolds off an saw this.

The black marks are where the exhaust manifold is exposed to the exhaust gases, the silver area is where the exhaust gasket was. the exhaust gasket more or less matches the exhaust ports on the 454 heads but the exhaust manifold ports look like they need to be opened up significantly to match the exhaust ports. BBC heads are exhaust flow weak to start with, is it worth my time to open up the Exhaust manifolds while there off, or is that just a waste of effort. there seems like theres plenty of meat in the manifold to enlage the mating surface areas and radius it into the runners.

The engine will we getting some HP upgrades, +22CC .030 over pistons, Stock peanut heads are getting dumped replaced with a pair of 71 3993820 LS-5 open chambered, cast iron, large oval port heads (still with the smaller valves), the melling 22220 cam used in the 503 magnum engines, and an RPM air gap manifold.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 2:18pm
Good thinking Mark, I noticed that when we pulled the manifolds off Mark's footer. I bet its scabbing off 15 hp or so between all the cylinders. A smooth transition would make a difference I think.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 2:29pm
Zach, I need to get you to get me the dark blue, light blue Lightning Bolts for the BFN. It's getting warm enough to wrap up the exterior work as well. Maybe by the time the ice comes back this project will be floatable. (it will never be done). I'll give you a call.

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 2:45pm
820's have 113 chambers and will really benefit from 2.19 intakes and some minor massageing.Are you going to have block 0 decked? Be carfull with quench.Compression is going to north of 10:1 what kind of pistons?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 3:15pm
Sealed power H693CP Hypereutectic Cast Pistons, full floating pins, aon a Heavy H Beam 6.135 rod. Not cutting the deck, it will be what ever it is once the pistons go in (unless something is horribly wrong with the block). Should be just under 10:1 at about 9.8(my goal) if the block has never been cut. I'll adjust with the head gasket thickness to keep it under 10. But I won't know exactly what it is, till I get the pistons in the bores and see how far in the hole they are (or aren't).

Heads are a VAST improvement over the small peanut port heads coming off the engine, and I'm not really looking for a +500HP engine so I'm cheaping out and keeping the stock valves. If its really lame I can always pull them over the winter and have them massaged. I'm trying to keep the engine replacement reasonable in cost for now.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 3:32pm
Mark, Decal operations are down currently (don't know if I told you that). I will keep you posted.

I bet she's gonna run good.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 4:06pm
+1 on what Zach says.
The exhaust gases hitting that wall could rob some serious HP. I wouldn't do it based on the exhaust markings unless the exhaust ports on the new heads are the same size. You wanna port match to them.

IDK about the hypereutectic pistons either. Unless I've missed something along the way in some of the builds that have happened here, pretty much everybody runs with forged in marine applications including the factory. I have no idea how well hypereutectic will do in a marine engine. Maybe somebody with more knowledge than myself would know better.
Just a CYA precautionary warning.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 4:19pm
Not quite as simple as adjusting gasket thickness to get desired compression .Top of piston at TDC to flat pad on combustion chamber "quench"should be 0.040-0.045 smaller the problem is obviously bigger you are inviting detonation.Cast piston will not live long in this build one little timing issue and back to drawing board.BBC'S are sensitive to there issues not trying to talk you into more power just like to see you do it one time.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 4:28pm
The exhaust gaskets do pretty much match the ports on the head. They are maybe 1/32" larger than the actual port, but that portion on the top of the exhaust manifold flange is easily 1/4" high.

The 330HP BBC's have cast pistons, and cast cranks, the 502 magnum versions (never used in CC's) have forged guts.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 4:39pm
The 330 has low compression less than 8:1 so cast is fine.I have a 85 330 hp with closed chamber 063 heads compression is almost 9:1 about as far as I would push cast piston.Don't understand what mag 502 has to do with what you plan on building
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 5:27pm
That was a reference to a statement 4 posts above about all marine engines having forged pistons, not anything related to your post. Seems like 400HP is the transition from cast to forged parts in marine engines. I'll have to look into forged pistons, as i don't have them in hand yet.

But back tothe question at hand, should i spend the time porting them or just bolt them back on and go with it. The picture is deceiving everything that looks lighter black (more greyish) on the top of the port (bottom of the picture) is on the the flange of the exhaust, none of it is inside the port. Thats how bad the mismatch is.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 5:52pm
Can't hurt but stock manifold/performance two words don't belong in same sentence
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 7:11pm
Just a suggestion if you are going to buy pistons and rods go with a piston for 6.385 rod length and get 6.405 rods which gets "0" deck without touching block.Making gasket selection easy 0.041.Don't mind me just stting around nothing to do
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Can't hurt but stock manifold/performance two words don't belong in same sentence

Agree, but these are relatively new (2002 casting date) PCM manifolds, and are in very good shape other than choking off about 20% of my exhaust flow. I'm just trying to get anything out of the motor thats relatively free. I'll put in the time to clean them up some, but stock manifolds for the BBC are like 500 new so i can't imagine what "performance" ones cost. If I hadn't noticed how much of the ports are mismatched I wouldn't have thought anything about just bolting them back on. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done it before I spend 2 days with a grinder trying to open up the ports to match the gaskets.

I've already got the rods, so I'm stuck with whatever piston height I get when they go in the block. I've got the block as well but I don't know if its ever been cut, or if it has a stock deck height. I need to get the engine in the boat out and apart so I can see how the rest of the parts are going to fall into place.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 8:50pm
                                 Put a set of these on flow better and they'll hear you coming.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2014 at 9:22pm
It sure looks like the bottom of the exhaust manifold is restricted.
It can be BLENDED some with a carbide burr and a cartridge roll but not
much more than a bevel 1/2 inch into the manifold. The manifold will get thin fast if you go too far into the manifold.

If it was me, I'd invest a couple of hours on it   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:10am
Those logs are super cool but unless the ports are significantly larger than the PCM's, I'm not convinced they'd offer a performance advantage. Log manifolds have to make relatively short radius bends coming out of every cylinder, and there's just no way to get the runners anywhere near equal length. Alan dissected some SBF PCM's and they actually looked really good inside. Sort of a shorty header design- I would assume the big blocks are similar.

I'd spend a few hours on them too, if you're so inclined. Aftermarket manifolds or headers are widely available for bbc's and are actually fairly reasonably priced (at least compared to the limited Ford options). The cheapest options are about $1k though, so still not cheap.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:47am
[QUOTE=TRBenj]    Alan dissected some SBF PCM's and they actually looked really good inside.
QUOTE]

Long ago I sliced & diced my cracked PCM's. Alan wanted to see them and was kind enough to post pictures. I really don't remember but I think he paid the postage. Not everybody would send a 40lb. package of broken parts across the country just to see whats inside. I bet he still has it. I still have the other one.

That disected manifold picture would go good in this post, but I can't find it (Tim) help a brother out.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:55am
I stand corrected, sorry Andy! I loved seeing that cross section, very insightful.

Pictures are in this thread here:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12311&PN=2&title=new-commander-engine-orig-exhaust
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:13am
Andy for some reason I can't find that post and I don't have the photos anymore BUT I do still have the manifolds so when I get a minute I'll snap some new photos. I've started to toss those in the scrap pile several times but every time I look at the amount of work that you put into cutting them in half I just can't do it. I figured someday these will come up in a discussion again....

edit, THANKS TIM
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 10:33am
Alan, I found em:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Couple of quicky camera phone pics of the PCM's

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 11:43am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Those logs are super cool but unless the ports are significantly larger than the PCM's, I'm not convinced they'd offer a performance advantage. Log manifolds have to make relatively short radius bends coming out of every cylinder, and there's just no way to get the runners anywhere near equal length.

I respectfully agree and disagree Tim. I've often debated this subject between the angel on my right shoulder and the devil on my left.

Your theory definitely makes sense. The logs do indeed make a short radious bend into the log itself but the PCM's do the same into the runners. That point is moot but the PCM's do indeed have the runners which would have some advantage. How much is debatable.

I know I've read more than once that every 90 degree bend in an exhaust is the equivalent of adding 10' of exhaust pipe which obviously restricts flow. The path of least resistance wins.
With that in mind the riser of the PCM makes a crazy sharp bend well past 90 degrees (just guessing someplace near 110-120 degrees???) and runs parallel to the angle of the backside of the manifold then. The logs elbows (at least in this case) do have a bump to get around but still doesn't have the super short bend of the PCM's. Again, is that any advantage or not? Certainly debatable and if so, how much?

My thinking is that the path of least resistance is the path with the least amount of bends. Eliminating the "bump" risers of the logs and replacing them with a 30 or 45 degree elbow would be even more advantageous using that theory. Then again, the relatively large exhaust on our wet marine engines is huge compared to the automotive world and does that theory even apply then?

Just interesting debate fodder.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 12:04pm
I run them with 45 degree elbows a lot less restriction I believe
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 12:04pm
I personally wouldn't be scared of the hypereutectic pistons at that compression level with the lower water temperatures in a FWC engine.

My 67 is in the neighborhood of 10.5:1. It has 0 deck height and slightly machined heads with flat top Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons. On pump gas in the summer it detonates like a mother (I think the dizzy over advances past 4000 RPMS). It gets beat on like a rented mule. When I pulled it apart the pistons look like the day I installed them with no detonation damage. Just tune it so it doesn't detonate and it should be good to go. Anything has to be better than stock cast pieces.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 12:51pm
Long ago I did a flow test on a few styles of manifolds. This was scientific to a very small degree using a shop vac, a water line and pitot, a home made scale and several coors lights.

We tested 2 sets of edelbrock logs, one set port matched to my heads, one set stock, a set of stock Holman Moodys and a set of stock PCMs.

Simply measuring air flow the ported Edelbrocks flowed best, then the stock Edelbrocks, then the HM and last was the PCM's.

In the case of our wet exhaust marine engines I don't think that the short runner length of a pyramid style manifold (even though in theory should be better than a log)is getting us any scavenging effects at all. With that said in our applications an engine is doing more pushing to get rid of exhaust gasses than the exhaust system is doing pulling, so I would think the path of least resistance (logs)would be the better choice. We just don't run cams with enough overlap to generate scavenging that you would get in a tuned dry exhaust so the shorter runner may in fact be better choice.

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 1:18pm
Now we are getting scientific. Coors light being the standard.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 1:28pm
Alan, I have always thought the same. When I think power production and numbers I try to completely block out headers and camshaft selection when I talk boats.

Everyone was mind boggled that the 550 was still rated at 550 with the headers or the manifolds.

They don't understand that forced induction engines give a rats ass about scavenging. FI engines generally don't care for cams with lots of overlap. As long as it still has the unrestricted flow it needs to produce that power number it still will.

Like you said, most of the camshafts available for reveres rotation engines don't really get into the realm of taking advantage of a scavenging style exhaust system.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 4:00pm
Scavenging is one thing but conflicting flow fronts is another thing all together, the crappiest of logs dump right into a common tube the flow from each cylinder – which then then pushes out in both directions, not just in the way it should be going, where it will be met with another puff of exhaust from further down the line, impeding its flow and requiring energy to turn it around and send it back in the right direction. Its like bringing waterflow into a pipe with a t instead of Y, no es Bueno.   So even the short runners if they set all the gases going in the same direction can be very beneficial even if not to the point of reaching actual scavenging like you would get in nicely matched set of long tubes. The logs above feature swept runners, and possibly an expanding unidirectional design of the actual log, which wouldn’t be all that bad.   

An old interceptor log though.. that’s a hard son of a gun to push air through. The chyrslers or omcs that go on either side wouldnt be much better eitherI personally doubt that any of the logs offer any performance benefit over a port matched pcm pyramid with the 3.5 inch risers , and most of them I suspect are worse at everything except looking cool and sounding sweet.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 4:31pm
Thanks for digging up the pictures Tim (i did look)
I wonder if when the water gets introduced at the riser
if it pulls the exhaust out of the manifold or blocks
the exhaust off. (gas vs. liquid)   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2014 at 5:09pm
Just checked and ports on the aluminum logs are much bigger than manifold.see if i send pic with phone.Ports where actually little bigger than gasket .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic