NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

91 Excel, reverse rotation engine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 91 Excel, reverse rotation engine?
    Posted: April-09-2014 at 7:31pm
It has been a dismal winter here in CA and I am thinking it would be a good summer to pull the engine. So do I rebuild it or just buy a built? I can't remember if the engine is reverse rotation and if so do I need special parts when rebuilding? If I were to buy a rebuilt engine would it have to be specially built as a reverse rotating engine?
1991 Nautique Excel
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 9:48am
89 is the first year Correct Craft went to standard rotation engines.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 10:29am
Jeff - What symptoms are you having with your engine? What are the compression readings? Did you do a cylinder leak down test?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:42am
Jeff, V drive footers are in fact reverse rotation engines. The gear reduction of the V drive is actually a double reduction so it spins the shaft the same direction as the crankshaft unlike the 1.23 DD boats which reverse the shaft rotation in relation to the engine.

The tell of that is to pull the timing cover and look for a gear to gear camshaft drive. If the gear drive is present that is reverse rotation. If the gear drive isn't present it is a standard rotation engine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 12:11pm
Zach, you're assuming it's a big block- in which case, you're correct. If it's a small block, then the distributor gear will tell the story.

I too, would like to better understand why you're considering a rebuild. I would never rebuild something "just because".
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 12:58pm
Yeahhhhhh, I was thinking footer in my head instead Excel. Regardless the SBF would be reverse rotation as well.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 2:18pm
Shouldn't need a rebuild, but if you just want to play with the motor I would do the CHI upgrade after I did a compression and leak down test just to be sure there's no issues. With a regular 240 motor that upgrade will make a very noticable difference in a boat that's already sluggish out of the hole.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Shouldn't need a rebuild, but if you just want to play with the motor I would do the CHI upgrade after I did a compression and leak down test just to be sure there's no issues. With a regular 240 motor that upgrade will make a very noticable difference in a boat that's already sluggish out of the hole.

+1

That , plus a big Trim Tab! hahahahaha...
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 3:56pm
Yes the 240HP motor is lacking and I am looking for more umph out of the hole. What do you mean by the CHI upgrade (Cam, Head, Intake)? If that is what you mean then yes I definitely want to do that but this motor is 23 years old and was in a salt water location so I would like to pull it, check bearings, hone the cylinders with a new set of rings, replace water pump and oil pump. An overall freshening along with a good boost in power.   
1991 Nautique Excel
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 4:32pm
BTW- Love the Cranberry and Gray!
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 5:29pm
Gt40P heads aluminum intake and a cam is the most commmon upgrade to these engines and will easily put you in the 310Hp...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

Gt40P heads aluminum intake and a cam is the most commmon upgrade to these engines and will easily put you in the 310Hp...

Thanks Kapla and all the info. Definitely going with the GT40P heads. Is there a consensus on the cam and intake?
1991 Nautique Excel
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 5:53pm
Now say what about the rotation zach? the engine is in there bacerds, but you say it also rotates in reverse? That don't seem quite right, I dont have one sittin here but I tore one all the heck apart once and I dont remember being particular about putting reverse rotation specific parts in it..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 6:06pm
Joe, I guess the way the gear reduction in those V drives work is they don't reverse the engine rotation like a 1.23 does. Mark and I were curious and got to checking numbers on pre 07 V drive boats with RH rotation propellers. They all had serial numbers for RH rotation engines. Mark's footer has a gear camshaft drive which as you know means a reverse rotation Big Block.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 6:08pm
Oh and another note, PCM won't spin a 6.0 bacerds now so it makes sense on this 409 sport sitting beside me the prop rotation is LH and the engine is LH.

One assumed in 07 they swapped the V drive to change the rotation of the props. My guess is PCM said screw you, we aren't building reverse rotation engines on boats that it doesn't matter on anymore.

Or Correct Craft said hey it'll be cheaper if we spin the props LH on boats that it doesn't matter on anymore. Because, lets face it, you can barely notice which direction these big old wake boats back up.
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 8:16pm
Well if your attempt was to confuse me even further... success!   
1991 Nautique Excel
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 2:09am
Does this help - 1991 BFN..... Look at the engine tag. It provides rotation indication.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 10:34am
Correct me if Im wrong- wasnt there a v-drive change during the Excel years? Early boats got the 1.25:1 and later ones the 1.5:1 maybe? Perhaps only the earlier box required a RH engine to swing a RH prop?

No way was CC using RH engines in their v-drives until ~2011 when they started using LH props. I believe that change coincided with a v-drive change as well.

Somebody has to know the complete story.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 10:53am
It's obvious the OP is still confused understandably. FWIW, as long as the boat is still whole, this should be easy. Go and turn the thing over while someone is looking at the front of the engine. That means to actually be looking at the front of the crankshft pulley. Forget which way the engine is facing. Look at which direction the crank pulley spins. If it turns over CW it's standard, CCW is reverse.
Let us know what you find out.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 10:55am
Mine is an early 93, RR 351, GT40's are SR so the change would most likely be in the Super Sports in 95.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 12:00pm
Let's start from the top.

Cross checked a 2007 6.0 V Drive, a 2006 5.7 V drive, and an 01 GT-40 V drive and they all show being LH (Standard Rotation engines).

Checked the 91 Footer sitting outside my window and it shows an R in the model number showing that it is a RH (Reverse Rotation) engine. So like said above they must have changed over in 95 when the Excel/Footer went away.

So, nothing about the engines changed in 2007 but the V drive selection Correct Craft used.

I guess the only reverse rotation V drives ever used were the 91-94 Excel/Footer.

To answer the OP question, if your prop spins RH so does your engine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I guess the only reverse rotation V drives ever used were the 91-94 Excel/Footer.

C'mon Zach, dont guess- you have the parts books, right? Check late '93, '94 and '95... see if you can figure out when the change occurred. I vaguely remember someone saying it changed mid-cycle on the Excels.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 1:22pm
All this talk about 2007 6 liter chevies is confusing the hell out of me.

We know PCM was building 240 hp 5.8 liters in LH and RH configurations through 1993. I don't know *************** about v-drive gearboxes. If there was a changeover, I'd have to guess for 1994.

Did PCM stopping building RH engines? If so, did this drive the gearbox change?

Joe, wasn't that engine you worked on a 1994?
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

It's obvious the OP is still confused understandably. FWIW, as long as the boat is still whole, this should be easy. Go and turn the thing over while someone is looking at the front of the engine. That means to actually be looking at the front of the crankshft pulley. Forget which way the engine is facing. Look at which direction the crank pulley spins. If it turns over CW it's standard, CCW is reverse.
Let us know what you find out.

I can do this and will... For some silly reason I thought this would an easy question
1991 Nautique Excel
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 1:57pm
Jeff:

These guys are talking big picture - what you need to know is what rotation your engine spins, right? I posted the pic of my Excel's engine ID so you would know what to look for.... The model number gives you your engine's rotation........... all done.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 2:01pm
Ive seen pictures of Swedish's BFN/Excel and it has the earlier (91-93) gel scheme. I just asked Joe and he cant remember which v-drive it had, but the prop he mentioned wanting to try back in 2011 was big (13.5x19), which makes me think it has a 1.5:1 mated to a LH engine (just like the later v-drives).

PCM still offers the 305/350 motors (Excal included) in RH last I checked- just not in Correct Crafts as far as Im aware. 6.0L has never been offered in anything but LH. So thats no clue, other than the fact that CC had gone to all LH engines by 2003 (but I think it was much earlier than that).

My official guess is that CC switched from the 1.25:1 and RH engines to the 1.5:1 and LH engines in mid '93. Total guess, cause I dont know jack about Excels! I'd say its a safe bet that the original poster in this thread with a '91 has a RH engine and 1.25. Like Steve implied, the engine tag will confirm that- assuming its there and nothing has been changed.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 2:08pm
In my example:

the R after the P (for Pleasurecarft) stands for right rotation....

The V drive markings vary by model and year(s) but for mine, the Rs after the W (or V in other models) and before the 10 stands for right rotation of a Walther's V Drive with Reduction.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Mine is an early 93, RR 351, GT40's are SR so the change would most likely be in the Super Sports in 95.

Here's the tag from a 95 SS

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
1StopJeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1StopJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Jeff:

These guys are talking big picture - what you need to know is what rotation your engine spins, right? I posted the pic of my Excel's engine ID so you would know what to look for.... The model number gives you your engine's rotation........... all done.

Great, I will look for the tag! Thanks!
1991 Nautique Excel
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 3:07pm
We're getting closer! Where's the '94 v-drive representatives?

Can't count on Zach to help.............(He's only got about a billion boats under cover at his place.....)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic