NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ice Out - Open Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I hate Spring. I wish we could have 8 months of Summer and four months of Winter!   

Mike

Fall is really what we need, warm water, no wind and nobody around. Good spring and summer days are few and far between, almost every day in the fall is great.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 12:08am
^^^ Perhaps in Texas haha. Up here in the fall everyone in my area calls it quits mid Sept to catch up on stuff they put off all Summer in anticipation of Winter. I'd rather skip Spring and Fall and go straight from the boat to the sled, then back to the boat again ! We start to have nights below freezing up here usually by mid Oct. I own a seasonal business that is crazy from March - Aug so it makes for a short Summer. Fall is our looongest season it seems like.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 11:59am

This was Squam Lake in NH yesterday. I walked right out from the shore, it was absolutely solid. We went for a hike to look down over the lake, and there is really no visible open water to speak of. It could be a record-breaking late ice-out this year (the latest on record is May 3). Nearby Winnipesaukee has been as late as May 12, but that was in the 1800's. It was as late as May 2 in 2001.

It's a little sad, considering I've been out on Squam as early as March 18, just a few years ago in fact. Tick tock...
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 1:28pm
All docks/lifts are done and in!! Saturday was a little goofy, lighting storm then hail, by 11am it was clear again and relatively warm (mid 70's), was a great day to get it done.
Snow in the forecast for today, LOL

Mikey I am with you, summer + winter is best although fall is not so bad, you can have the spring.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looks like the lawn is ready for a CCF get together

+1
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 2:28pm
That's not even 1/4 of it all!!

Leave your boats at home but bring your mowers. LOL
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 9:37pm
Well pack it up, summers over---

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 9:47pm
Our lake went from 90+% of coverage to 5<% in 6 hours while I was at work on April 10th, thanks to a 20mph wind straight up the lake on a 65 degree day.   It was a beautiful thing, followed by a spectacular weekend in these parts.  I was guessing it was going to be May 1st based on the amount of ice.  I spent the weekend tearing down 16 dock sections for stripping/repairs/new-hardware/paint.  Between getting them back together and building 6 more I would be extremely happy to have docks in by early may, would have started working on the old stuff sooner if it wasn’t covered by snow and ice till last week.  

75 and calm on saturday and 82 on Sunday will make tomorrows snow easier to live through.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well pack it up, summers over---

I,m looking at the same thing out my window! Gary, You shouldn't have come north so early!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 11:24pm
Gary nice bumble
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:10pm
Ice is for margaritas
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Ice is for margaritas

and caipirovskas!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:18pm
Are those the same nasty things they make me drink every time I go to Brazil?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:21pm

Saturday
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:43pm
Joe, is that your FJ? More pics!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 3:16pm
Joe

What lake are you on? Seneca didn't ice and I didn't think Cayuga iced that much. Are you on Owasco, Skaneateles, Otisco? So many choices.

David
86 Martinique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 4:30pm
David - I am on Owasco Lake, just south of Auburn on the west side, feel free to stop by some time.

Bret that is not my FJ it just lives in my garage or shop depending on the season and makes for a nice way to tranport the generator down to the water - my buddy Matt owns it He is a teacher with the summers off so he gets to spend all summer home with his girls (almost 4 and almost 2). Unfortunately it is not approved to transport his daughters due to the lack of doors, roof, or any seat belts other than lap belts in the front so since he doesnt go many places without them it falls to me to give it some exercise every now and then. I am pretty sure the next time it will get any regular usage is when his oldest turns 16 and paints it pink.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 4:39pm
^^^ +1
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 7:53pm
Joe, that's a pretty good deal for you! I remember as a kid in 1985 sitting in the passenger seat of a cherry used desert sand colored hard-top FJ on the showroom floor of a Mercury dealer. I begged my father to buy that thing and take it home. I ended up riding home in a wood-paneled '85 Mercury Colony Park wagon with my head slumped down below the windows.   
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:24pm
Tuesday I awoke to 19 degree temperature.

Thursday I awoke to this.

And this is lake Minnetonka just west of the Twin Cities as of this morning.

We are heading the right direction but with many steps back.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 2:34pm
went up north to put the dock in last weekend...got 1/2 of it in. lake is still 90% covered with slushy ice...2nd year in a row that happened to us.

back to my home lake/boat erratic temp 1st time out...i think the fluctuations I observed make perfect sense. t-stat is a 150 ('99 SAN w/GT40)...so it opens when it reaches 150 degrees. now on my 1st run, one side of the stat has 35 or 40 degree water flowing past it while the other side is exposed to water circulating in the block...in order for the stat to maintain 150 degrees long enough to open, the water in the block (not the block itself or any other part of the engine) had to get up to 200 degrees...then, when the stat opened, the rush of 35-40 water quickly dropped the internal water temp down to 130 as the water was really cold and the block wasn't necessarily "warm"(i would also qualify the exhaust manifolds as "cool" to the touch). compare that to normal summer operating conditions where the raw water is 70-80 degrees and the water inside the block only needs to get to 160 for the stat to be at 150...and doesn't drop drastically (or noticeably at all) since the temperature difference is not as severe and the block is a toasty 160 (and exhaust manifolds are "warm" or "almost hot" to the touch)...who's with me??
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:08pm
I think you're out to lunch with that theory.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:18pm
how do you figure?? put one end of a copper pipe in ice water...how hot would you have to get the other end in order for the center of the pipe to reach 150?? should be same concept i think...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:26pm
That is not a good comparison for how the thermostat or thermostat housing is arranged. The thermostat is sitting right down in the water coming from the block/heads/intake- its darn close to that temp sender. If the sender is reading 160, you can bet the thermostat will be opening if all is well. Ive never been in a boat that overheated in such an exaggerated fashion when run in cold water- they all struggled to achieve and maintain temp instead. The PCM cooling system is pretty robust. I think youve got an issue if you really saw 200.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:32pm
200 is not normal for operating in cold water. I do more of that than warm summer water. It's damn hard to get the gauge much past 160 with the 143 thermostat. The cooling system won't allow it.

Based on your observations I would have to say your thermostat is not operating correctly (plugged or not opening) for the engine to get to 200 and have cool exhaust manifolds. Or everything is fine with the engine except the gauge.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:44pm
Or you got an air leak or your impeller is getting wonky- thermostats usually work or don't
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 5:38pm
clarifications. '99 SAN with GT40. 150 stat. new impeller this season. air leaks doubtful due to everything tightened with 5/16" socket.
idle temp: 120-130
cruising temp: climb slowly till it would touch 200, then in ~ 2 seconds drop down to 130-140.
GT40 ECT is ~ 6" away from the stat. stat has 35-40 water running over top.
HW, when cruising, does your temp gauge fluctuate the same in april as it does in july??
i definitely respect your opinions...i'll let you know what happens as the water warms up.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:21pm
Could be wonky electrical connection or ground issue. Not that any of our boats have substandard wiring or anything....
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:37pm
yes, yes...assorted wonkiness...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 9:41pm
Temp readings are only significantly different below 160. Doesn't really get or stay above 160 ever, definitely not anywhere near 200. 170 maybe on idle after a long hard barefoot run but I'm usually the one at the end of the line for that. Quickly back to 155-160 after enough water gets through the block.

The slow creep really screams lack of cooling water to me. I have seen cracked and stubbornstrainers that won't seal up. Try bypassing that. Also, swap in your 88 pump.

Assuming this "wonkiness" is new to this year I'd go back and check anything you touched this past off season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic