NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Choke broken??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:16pm
Should be same as your battery voltage.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Should be same as your battery voltage.

Gotcha. I'll check it tomorrow after work.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:22am
John,
I gotta agree with Zach here. The coil is toast. Pretty common really. I had the same issue as you (hard to keep runnimg when cold and then ran fine after warm).
As long as it's adjusted properly, you'll be amazed how nice the boat will start.
Just make sure you make the adjustment (1/16"-1/8" crack) in the choke plate before you try to turn the key on. As soon as power is applied the choke plate will start to open up and if you haven't made the right adjustment yet you'll have to make sure it completely closes again before you can set the gap. It can take a while for it to completely close again so just do it before you power it up.
Also, it's easy to miss getting the loop of the coil properly placed on the pin of the choke plate arm. After you get everything back together (before powering up again), rotate the plastic coil housing and make sure that the choke plate opens and closes with the rotation of the housing. Then set the gap and you're good to go.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:38am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

John,
As long as it's adjusted properly, you'll be amazed how nice the boat will start.

+1^^^

Also, voltage doesn't give a rats ass about the choke closing. The only thing that causes the choke to close is the spring retracting as it cools off. The 12v will open the choke. You want to check and make sure. PCM wired chokes directly to 12v source wires (should be red) Other maranizations I have seen sometimes use the resisted side of the ballast. Anywho, you will probably see between 11 and 11.5 with the key source on if you are reading it with a meter.

I think the only reason the red piece is there was to be the function of fast idle if it was an automotive carb.

We see coils out of range all the time on boats that customers bring in the say they have to pump it more than they used to. I am kind of a stickler on cold starts.

The pcm manual gives you a 2-3 pump procedure and hold at 1200 rpm for 30 seconds. I like to try really hard and make them start with the key only and no pumps . Every boat is different though.

Another note, don't turn the coil past the range listed on the choke housing or you could bend the spring out of range and be right back in the same boat (no pun intended).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 11:52am
Thanks again guys. I ordered a new choke cover plate this morning. I also have another carb coming from a forum member so I have a spare that I can tear into and rebuild eventually. Only had to pay for the shipping.

She fires right up after three pumps when cold. You saw in the video how easy she fired. I agree with you on the spring more than likely being toast. I'll set the gap as you recommend and post my findings when done.

Thanks again for all the help. G-D I love this site
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:17pm
Ha, it's a pretty neat spot to hang out. Outside of that I really haven't tinkered with the Fish Bowl style Holley's. We did run a "Summit" fish bowl style on a fairly hot SBC a while ago. I am sure Holley made it and branded it "Summit Racing".

Jet changes are cake easy on the fish bowl style carbs as you loose no fuel when you crack the top open.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2014 at 3:48pm
So I got the new choke cap yesterday and went for the install today. I noticed that when I set the cap pointer to the center of the arks on the carb, the choke was full open. Upon closer inspection, it appears the springs are oriented differently on the 2 caps (not sure if this due to stretch in old one). I went head and adjusted the new cap so the choke is closed with the key on. I'm waiting for the engine to cool down as I did try to start it when I first put it together. I'm getting 12.4V at the battery and 11.8 at the choke cap. Now the cap is oriented about 90 degrees off from where the original was and the connections are near the 3 o'clock as opposed two the 6 o'clock as it was originally.

Am I on the right track or did I mess up by turning the choke cap like I did?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2014 at 4:51pm
No you need to adjust it cooled off and the key off. As soon as the key is on that coil under the cap heats up and opens the choke slowly at a predetermined time giving the engine time to warm up. You are almost there--- just make sure you have about a 1/8" gap from fully closed.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2014 at 7:12pm
So I let it sit for a few hours, but she wasn't cold. Still read 110 on the temp gauge. I removed the choke cap and held the plate open 1/8". I then lined up the spring loop with the choke arm and put everything together. Here;s what I've got:

I plan on checking it again another day, when she's absolutely cold. The cap pointer mark is on the second mark from the far right on the carb choke body.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 9:11pm
So I readjusted everything yesterday. Engine was cold. Choke was open 1/8" upon start-up. She fired right up after the triple pump, but she sputtered out after about 10-15 seconds. Seemed like she was idling low, but once she's warm she idles at about 750 in neutral on the hose. Should I up the idle even more? Very annoying when trying to start cold.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 9:56pm
JP,
I've always heard people say the Fords are a little "cold blooded". I can attest to this with my experience with my 302. I need about a 5 minute warm up before I even try to pull a skier out of the hole.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 10:10pm
I agree with Pete, Ford's in my experience are definitely cold blooded but my '76 seems to be an exception. Our '75 SN can't even pull off the trailer until 140 so every time it goes to the lake we have to do a thorough hose and bucket warm up to prevent hogging the ramp. My '67 Bronco 302 is ridiculously cold natured too.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 10:21pm
Yeah, I've heard they're cold blooded. The problem is when I'm trying to power it off the trailer and holding up the ramp while struggling to get it to idle high enough so I can put it in gear and out of the way before pissing everyone off.

I may have to start it at the house prior to leaving if I can't get it to cooperate better. Once she's warmed up, she runs great. Even starting her up hours after she's been sitting, she's good to go.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 10:32pm
Sounds just like dad's boat to a T.

Whenever I feel bad about blocking the ramp, I just think of the guy before me who blocked, and the guy before him, and so on.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:22am
John,
I don't think I've even been in a carbed boat that didn't need a little feathering of the throttle to keep it running when you first start it up.
On my boat and John's you need to keep your hand on the throttle to keep it running for at least the first 45 seconds to a minute with a little gentle persuasion to keep it running. It'll want to sputter and die a couple times in the first 30 seconds and if it does die, I guaranty it'll be flooded. You have to hold the throttle WFO to start it again.
I don't care who's waiting in line at a ramp, one minute while getting it warmed up is not unreasonable. Too many people have become spoiled by the fuel injected motors now days and many newbies/youngin's have never even started a carbed motor. They can't comprehend what "cold blooded" even means.

By the way, 750RPM in neutral and warm is too fast. Shifting into gear at that RPM is really hammering the tranny. It should be 600-650.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 11:57am
John, there are a lot of things that go into tuning it to run perfectly after first start up. You need to get a vacuum gauge on it to set the idle circuits properly. I personally like a little hotter idle than specified.

Like Eddie said, I like to run about 600-650 in gear while moving. Pushing the trailer is when the idle circuits should be set to max vacuum readings. 600-650 in gear moving will make neutral idle between 800-850.

The factory timing setting for idle is very conservative (I don't know why). It is also conservative on total advance. These boats run very well cold when the BTDC timing at idle is around 10-12 degrees instead of 6 or so (which makes them very lazy). That will also get you around 32-34 total advance on the all in. More timing (to a point) will allow easier starts and less laziness into gear especially when cold.

I just set up a 4160 on the river yesterday on a 93 with P heads. This was before it was tuned up(wrong plugs, nasty cap/rotor, original wires). With a few pumps and one clear out (small rev) I was able to put it into gear immediately off the trailer.

Another thing that needs verified also is that the timing advance is moving freely. I have seen sticky advance mechanisms (mine included) that will give you trouble because you set it up while its stuck and go to re start and it goes back to no advance completely negating the settings you just did.

I was being cheap last year and my choke spring went bad (won't close properly). So essentially my boat has no choke. With a pump and a rev and 15 seconds of run time or so my boat will plug right along at idle with the choke completely open so it is possible to get it set up exactly right.

Side note, what we can do is actually better than per the pcm manual back in the day. It specifies something like 30 seconds run at 1200 rpms before going into gear.

We just set up another big block footer that will fire off the key with no pumping. Just turn it and it fires.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 12:45pm
Zach,

I have my old vacuum gauges from my motorcycle. I allowed me to sync all 4 carbs. I'll have to see how to hook it up to a holley carb (I'm not sure how to do this yet).

I'm also still running the stock ProTec ignition. I'm saving the money for a DUI. I'm about half way there and hope to have it no later than July or August.

I don't own a timing gun as of yet, but I can check the timing once I get one of those as well. As you know the choke cap and spring are new and seem to working as they should.

She usually idles at 700-750 in neutral and about 650-680 in gear once shes warmed up. Motor has 1684 hours on it and the plugs were changed last July.

I'' have to see if I can borrow or rent a timing light so I can see where I am at currently. I'm assuming this is stuff I can check on the hose at the house.

Thanks for the input. I now have a few more items to check.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 12:54pm
Different boats like different things.

The vac reading in gear loaded should be greater than 15hg. If it isn't it's either worn out or there is a vacuum leak somewhere. Also, another reason I like a little more timing at idle is because it allows you to run the butterfly setting closed more allowing more accurate control from the idle circuits. My rule of thumb is the further closed the better as long as they are resting on a static setting of the idle screw. You don't want to go so far as to have the butterflies closing on the venture themselves because that won't be exactly the same 100% of the time.

Procedure for adjusting the idle circuits is a 1:1 ratio. So if you turn one 1/4 turn you turn the other 1/4 turn. Pending the carburetor, I have found this sometimes to not be the best. If the adjustment is vastly different per side there is an issue but if it takes being 1/2 to 1/4 turn different to make it run exactly the way it's supposed to there is no harm of foul by doing so.

I have found it's all pretty subjective from boat to boat, carb to carb, etc.

Just take the PCV off and get a proper adapter for your Vac gauge to hook to that. That will give you the Vacuum reading you need. If it changes the behavior drastically of the engine when you plug the PCV back in it means A) either the incorrect valve or B) worn out.

Shut it off before you unplug the Vac gauge. Plug the PCV back in and try to key start it.

If you can't kill the engine by turning one idle circuit screw all the way in then you have other issues.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 1:29pm
I'll have to get some pics off my spare carb so I can make sure I am adjusting the right things.

Thanks again for the help Zach.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 1:32pm
You are getting close to getting it the way you want it !
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2014 at 10:57pm
So here's a pic of the spare 4010 carb. The unlabeled red arrows are what I am assuming are pointing to the idle circuit adjuster screws.

I was going to tee my gauges where the arrow is pointing to what I think is a vacuum circuit??

Also a pic of my gauge. Worked great on my skis and bikes. I can take four readings simultaneously.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 10:30am
Cool vacuum gauge! Wish I could answer definitively on the idle screws but I'd guess you're right. The only tinkering I've done on a 4010 was to remove it and put a 4160 on.

For the vacuum source, why not use the Pcv port on the 1" intake spacer?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 10:53am
Yea that gauge is sweet. Ha Tim, I prefer the 4160 as well but I am guessing those are the idle circuit screws. You want to use the rear PCV port like time said because you want to take the PCV out of the equation when you are tuning for vacuum.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

For the vacuum source, why not use the Pcv port on the 1" intake spacer?

I'll have to see this spacer you're talking about. I don't recall seeing a spacer between the carb and intake manifold, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I can tee into that if you guys think that's the best place to do so.

Vacuum tool is pretty sweet. Older ones were mercury filled, which would dry out over time. This one has SS slides that move up and down to show vacuum levels. I'll try to post a video of me testing it.

Can I still move the "dizzy" to change the timing if needed with the ProTec?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic