NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting Issue
    Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:46pm
Hi all,

Spring is here, so we have started getting the boat (73 Nautique 351) ready for summer season (bout time!).

Went to start her up the other day, and the solenoid seemed to stick, causing the starter to turn over continually. We disconnected the negative terminal to make it stop. I gave the solenoid a whack, cleaned all the connections (battery, solenoid, starter) and hooked er back up. Now when turning the key, all I get is a loud click from the starter area and that's it.

Battery (not deep cycle) is on a tender, so when I go to test, it is at ~13.1V. Turning the ignition drops it to ~12.8 and it slowly goes lower with a few more tries. I have full voltage at both sides of the solenoid and I think at the starter (was an interesting balancing act trying to test the voltage alone!) so I *think* my wires/connections are good.

Taking the battery in this weekend to be tested.

Any thoughts? Solenoid? Battery? I don't think it is the starter as it has about 2 years on it since being rebuilt.

Separately, the solenoid on the boat is illustrated below. Two questions: Is this the normal solenoid? It looks different than the standard Ford. Second, does the wiring look normal? I know the coloring is incorrect, but I have done my best to label. The wires going to the tranny seem odd to me...

Any help is appreciated! Cheers!

Derek

1973 Nautique 351
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 11:43pm
I'd bet the battery is bad,some seem to last forever,others a couple. I have one battery here that's 14 years old thru it in a 302 powered boat the other day with no problems. The 4 year old battery in the new to me boat only clicks,12-13volts but won't take a load. Your solenoid is common to older boats,the wires to the trans is the neutral safety switch,it prevents you from starting the boat in gear.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:06am
Since it turned over good perhaps too good the first time sounds like solenoid is toast.Some last forever some don't make it through a season in both boats and cars.I say jump the solenoid quick to see if turns over easy just bypass with 2 screwdrivers to each side.CAREFULLY will spark so make sure no fumes are present.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Since it turned over good perhaps too good the first time sounds like solenoid is toast.Some last forever some don't make it through a season in both boats and cars.I say jump the solenoid quick to see if turns over easy just bypass with 2 screwdrivers to each side.CAREFULLY will spark so make sure no fumes are present.

+1 on jumping the solenoid. If she cranks, then your solenoid is more than likely bad. If not, try another battery or use a jumper box.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:22pm
Here's Pete/Tim's electrical diagram for reference. Is that green wire you've got going to the coil always been there?

delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:26pm
Thanks guys. Will try jumping the solenoid tonight.

That wire to the coil has always been there.
1973 Nautique 351
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2014 at 9:31pm
After taking the starter in to have it looked at, the starter is indeed toast.

The shop said it is a reverse rotation starter and that it would take 3 weeks (!) to get a new one in. I'd rather not wait, so I'm looking for one online.

For my own clarification, the starter I will need is a RH starter? Also, any issue using a 9 OR 10 tooth starter? Last, should I go with a permanent magnet setup, or keep it old school?
1973 Nautique 351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic