Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Southwind 20

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Grape Ape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grape Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Southwind 20
    Posted: April-24-2014 at 9:06pm
Got a chance to buy a 1979 Southwind 20. Boat is in good condition with original correct craft trailer. The only problem is the motor has water in the oil. Can get it for $2000. Is it worth it?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 9:36pm
Michael.
There are plenty of other factors involved to determine if the 2K is a good price. Condition of the stringers, hull, upholstery, gauges, etc. How about some pictures? They may give us a better idea of what you are looking at. The water in the oil is not a good indicator! Off hand, I'd have to say the 2K is too much.

What is your intent looking for a larger hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grape Ape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grape Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 9:50pm
The boat is overall in very good condition. Upholstery is original and in good condition. Hull is in good shape with the expected scratches etc for a 1979 model. Owner says he thinks head is cracked but not sure. The boat has a ski pylon and swim platform that I am looking for. I recently purchased a 1978 Southwind 20 that is in excellent shape but has no ski pylon or swim platform. I was thinking of buying the 79 and attempting to fix the motor. If cost got to high on engine at least I would have a ski pylon and platform for my 1978 and could possible sell the trailer to recover some money.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 10:14pm
Stringers????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grape Ape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grape Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 10:23pm
Stingers are good. The boat is a solid boat, just concerned with the motor.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 10:36pm
To begin with, (and I can say this) "us" him down 10%. If he won't come down 10% he isn't serious, and likewise, vise versa. Then I'd compare the 2 boats and your attachment to current boat and decide which is better. Head... idk $500? Hopefully just a gasket. Rob pylon and platform or swap engines or repair "new" boat and sell current. Pylon=$250, Platform=250, plus time searching and waiting for pylon and platform, so thats $500 from 1800=$1300 to recoup which is doable even without parting a boat out which I hate to see. Keep in mind a Southwind may be hard to sell especially in the south so be prepared to store for a while.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2014 at 12:44am
Didn't think they ever offered a Southwind platform, except on the (IMHO) uber-goofy SW Open Bow.

Hard to sell in the South? Years of perusing Southwind boats and parts leads me to believe Alabama must have been one of the best original Southwind markets. Certainly not as easy now to sell as one of the standard trendy ski boats, but I think there's always someone out there looking for a well-built Deep-V inboard.

I've got a 74 SW18 in GA and my bro as a 72 SW20 in NY, so if you do start parting things out let me know,
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic