NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slalom driver help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 3:08pm
Dude Tom, for sure. This is why I have always hated the throttle set up of other manufacturers. CC always got it right in the arm rest department.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2014 at 3:11pm
you could also demo one of the easy up widebody skis, those things pop out of the water on their own, and it would make it easier for you to hone in your position when you go back to the standard ski
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Tom351 Tom351 wrote:

Driver form is important as well- make sure that she is resting her arm on the gunwale and only moving thumb/wrist to apply throttle.. Many beginners move their entire arm (pushing from elbow or shoulder) and this makes throttle movement MUCH less precise. One analogy is a computer mouse..try clicking around on your PC by moving elbow or shoulder compared to wrist and thumb movements.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Tom hit the nail on the head. Went out last night, made very minor adjustments in my form, basically, extended arms so my front knee and elbows were all lined up. Dad slowly rolled into the throttle, slower than he says he has in 50 years with a skier, and Vola! I got up 4 times in a row. No pain, no strain, no sprain. He's used to his Nautique which doesnt shoot out the hole like that. Skied 4 times around the lake. On my way home I thought about everything you guys have said. Ive always drove like Tom described, with the wrist, but it occurred to me that both my wife and I have only driven stick shift vehicles. So when I get home her and I talked and asked her to show me how she drives and asked her without leading towards the correct answer, does she use her wrist to move the throttle or her elbow. She innocently said and displayed her elbow. Holy heck, her throttle movement was all shoulders and elbows as if she's shifting an old long throw tranny. It makes my forearms hurt thinking about it. I said maybe tonight we can go out and keep your elbow in the same spot on the boat, wrist in the same location towards the base of the throttle and move the throttle like a flamboyant gay man using his hands when he talks. You know what I mean.   I wonder if she had a water balloon in her palm between the throttle ball if that'll help ease the throttle, almost like an egg? I may tell her only touch the, throttle arm below the ball so she'll have less leverage. Maybe I shouldn't have dismantled and cleaned/lubed the Morse 3 weeks ago along with those Teleflex Extreme cables and correctly aligned all the components together.

Thanks for the help and input guys. She always does good but Hope I can tune my wife in a lil better.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 3:41pm
I think this thread has pretty well covered everything, and with almost no side tracks!

Maybe removing the knob will also minimize the throttle mashing?

You do realize that when she figures out how to accelerate she will also find the snake and all of this will have been pointless...
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 5:39pm
If you plan on continuing skiing, go ahead and order a perfect pass now. As you get better you are going to start fighting about speed control.

PP saves my marriage several times a season, when the kids aren't around, and she is the only driver available!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Air206<br />It might be you, It might be your wife, it's probably all of the above.  Ski WITH someone else who knows how to do it....  <br /><br />It's like sex - you can read about it, or try it alone, but it's much better if you do it with someone who knows what they are doing!  [/QUOTE Air206
It might be you, It might be your wife, it's probably all of the above. Ski WITH someone else who knows how to do it....

It's like sex - you can read about it, or try it alone, but it's much better if you do it with someone who knows what they are doing! [/QUOTE wrote:

Most awesome statement I ever read on ccf

Most awesome statement I ever read on ccf
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 6:18pm
Roys wife had the heavy hand while he was learning to foot so I stepped in with her and gave her the tips live as sje drove and explained why ...she figured it out and peace and happiness prevailed...have a buddy take the heat.
This is the life
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 6:35pm
Our boat has spent literally more time in the water this past month than on trailer with 2x a day being launched not uncommon and no signs of snake. Plus our night temps are up which I really think the snake was catching heat off the engine. If she finds the snake, we'll I know nothing about it.

I'm not familiar with perfect pass other than its cruise control? I don't need EFI for that? She does EXCELLENT once on plane, my dad is the one who needs it, he insists on pulling me at 27/28.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2014 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I'm not familiar with perfect pass other than its cruise control? I don't need EFI for that? She does EXCELLENT once on plane, my dad is the one who needs it, he insists on pulling me at 27/28.

It will keep you at a constant speed as you ski. Perfect pass was originally designed for boats with a cable throttle (Carb or EFI), while Zero Off works on the drive by wire boats. They are well worth the money. One less thing for the driver to think about it. I pull tons of kids on all kinds of things, so being able to dial in a speed over and over again, makes it more enjoyable for driver and rider! Keep on skiing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic