Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 Ski Nautique 2001 Rescue!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
erickirchey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickirchey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 Rescue!
    Posted: May-05-2014 at 8:29pm
Hey guys I am working on my buddy's old 88 ski nautique trying to get her ready for the lake for summer the transmission went out on it two years ago I told him i would help get it going no labor just parts as long as i got a seat on the boat or free reigns to use it so he agreed! anyways we got the transmission out of the boat today and cracked her open found a few things that made me wonder if the needed to be replaced On the drive gear assembly there is some pitting in the gears is this normal or does this need to be replaced?

also on on the oil pump there is wear and looks like the metal is wearing grooves does this also need to be replaced?

I have a lot of picture I am just trying to find a re-sizing software so i can upload them directly as of now i have to re-size each on manually so be patient I plan on posting all my steps and pictures along the way just for fun!

Thank you for any tips or help in advance this is my first run at this but I am fairly confident I can get the job done as I am very detailed and have been reading forum and manual after manual just to prepare!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:09pm
Eric,
I'm sorry to say you may not get much help with the details for a Velvet rebuild here on CCfan. There have been members try to do a rebuild and only a couple have been successful. We even have several threads where so called "pro re builders" have tried and failed. Most have had theirs rebuild by Fantastic Finish Marine. Eric the original owner is a member and used to be very active on site. He has since passed the business onto his "right hand man" and as I understand is as good at the rebuilds as he was. They are not as simple as just throwing a kit in. There are plenty of idiosyncrasies.

From the looks of the pictures, it sure looks like there's plenty of wear. What do the clutch plates look like? I'm sure pretty bad!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:15pm

I am one of the few who has been successful and I wouldn't fix that one.
Yes, that is exceptional wear. Mine was sitting out in a yard half full of water and didn't look that bad. From your pics the oil pump is shot and the planetary is also shot.
Pony up those parts against the 700$ swap deal and I seen no sense in going any further.
A milk crate makes an excellent shipping crate.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 12:12am
I had a pump that looked liked that a while back. The flywheel dampener( I think that is the term??) was bad and apparently was putting pressure where it was not supposed to be. Cleaned it up and and put in a rebuild kit and luckily it worked. That was 20 years ago and to my knowledge it is still working.   But I agree with the others.....crate it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickirchey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 10:36pm
SO I took your guys advice I found a guy in tarpon springs with a rebuilt one his dad was going to use for a project boat but could never get the engine right had paper work from the local marina on the rebuild fluid looked great so i bought it and i couldn't argue with his price of 300$!
I ordered the new damper plate it should arrive Thursday or Friday from these guys http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/p/ALTDA-106A/

Today I got a new igniton switch put in the starter and found new bolts for it went up and got two new belts from advance discount if you need the cross reference for the belts or the part numbers here ya go!

Alternator #R066001 crosses to Goodyear # 15406 & Sierra # 18-15400.

water pump #R066008 crosses to Goodyear # 15461 & Sierra # 18-15455.

Also just to verify this is for a 88 ski nautique 2001.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickirchey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 11:06pm
Here are some basic pics of the boat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickirchey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:02am
So I am still waiting on parts so i figured i would tackle the floor while waiting we talked it over and we didn't want to go with the carpet instead lets make it look like a dock using pressure treated 2x6 and some good stain sealer and trim it with Manila Rope here is my progress so far.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:18am
Oh boy! You were going on the right track with the tranny, but that floor ain't good! Did you check stringer condition or sings of rot?
Are you going to leave the floor like that or plan to add carpet over it?
Its your boat and you can do what ever you like but that a different approach to all rebuilts we've seen around!
Get ready for some action...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickirchey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:33am
Not planing on putting carpet back down on the boat the supports are all solid and no cracks in any of the fiberglass we could walk in the boat no sagging issues it was stored under the dock on a lift with a cover most of the time. The plywood that was there was very rotten and need to be pulled as you can tell so i see no difference in using 2x6 over top instead of 3/4 plywood also this way the water seemed to run off better to the middle of the haul.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 9:22am
Better check your local building codes, the spacing on those floor joists looks a little wide.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 9:39am
Good job on the tranny swap. You definitely made the right decision there, but I'm afraid of what's to come with that flooring you chose.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 10:42am
WTF???? You do whatever you want but I question the reasoning.
So did you just remove the carpet and lay this over the glass floor? The way you have it now you've provided no access to the bilge area behind the tranny. You can't access the shaft packing gland or the rudder packing or the exhaust if you ever need to without completely removing the floor again.
Is that concrete block by the gas tank?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:21am
That's going to trap a lot of water. Not good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erickirchey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:49am
No it is all raised up off the glass and this is laid in place but there will be hinges for access to the spots that will need to be maintained such as rudder packing exhaust etc.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:57am
Originally posted by erickirchey erickirchey wrote:

Not planing on putting carpet back down on the boat the supports are all solid and no cracks in any of the fiberglass we could walk in the boat no sagging issues it was stored under the dock on a lift with a cover most of the time. The plywood that was there was very rotten and need to be pulled as you can tell so i see no difference in using 2x6 over top instead of 3/4 plywood also this way the water seemed to run off better to the middle of the haul.

I'm confused about what plywood you are talking about already being in the boat that had to be removed, but then you mention how solid the floor is. Except for the removable cover aft of the engine, there shouldn't have been any plywood on the floor. It was glass over foam. 2x6 PT sure seems heavy.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:58am
Quote Better check your local building codes, the spacing on those floor joists looks a little wide.

LOL Alan... I also don't see concrete piers or metal hangers.

Besides not being able to access the shaft and exhaust, you're also going to have a hard time fitting the observer's seat back in because the floor is now 1 1/2" taller. It's going to throw everything off as far as seating goes.

If the plywood was rotten, why didn't you just replace that 3'x3' piece?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:01pm
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Holy Crap, I think I just peed my pants a little
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:30pm
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Is this going to be a temporary solution to get it on the water for the summer or a permanent "fix"?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Is that concrete block by the gas tank?

nop, my guess those are the plastic rotocast bases for the rear seat!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 2:11pm
I'd put down a rubber membrane under the decking and run the boards stern to bow, like plank floors on most boats.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 2:51pm
Insane in the membrane.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 3:48pm
5 quarter deck boards would have been plenty. Even for the trans shipping crate. What's the plan for the wake board tower? Can't wait to see it!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 4:01pm
You bunch of nay sayers,if it was up to you guy's the Paragon's would have never been built
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

What's the plan for the wake board tower? Can't wait to see it!

Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by erickirchey erickirchey wrote:

The plywood that was there was very rotten and need to be pulled as you can tell so i see no difference in using 2x6 over top instead of 3/4 plywood

I'm confused about what plywood you are talking about already being in the boat that had to be removed. Except for the removable cover aft of the engine, there shouldn't have been any plywood on the floor. It was glass over foam.

I was thinking the same thing.

I guess we have different definitions of "rescue".
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 4:16pm
Maybe this hybrid?

Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 4:17pm
CPhase, that is hilarious. Is that the optional TCT (Termite Control Tower)? Looks like it hasn't managed to attract any females.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Looks like it hasn't managed to attract any females.

I don't know why, plenty of "wood" there.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 12:20pm
Wheres Pete??? Thats definitely not original. Wonder if he has installed some dock foam under the decking for flotation? You know some here make bars from ski nautiques, maybe we misunderstood and hes building a nautique dock?
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic