Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 Ski Nautique Rebuild
    Posted: May-05-2014 at 8:39pm
Hey everyone. I bought a 88 Ski Nautique last fall and recently started working on it. I have been reading a bunch of peoples threads so I figured I'd make my own. This is how my boat looked when I got it.
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 8:41pm
And this is how it looked last weekend. Since then ive gotten more foam and decking out.
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 8:44pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:26am
So what's the plan? Watch out for the basketball hoop!
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:42am
Looking like a project that needed to be done, and you can do it!

These guys on the forum are great resources, and there are a ton of threads detailing exactly what you need to do next ~ alternatives, etc. ~ and when in doubt ask.

I am nearly done with my stringer replacement job and I had no idea what I was doing when I started, but there is certainly something empowering about it.

My two cents: invest in a quality respirator and don't quit ~~~ and never tell anyone "You know I think that was the last time I'll need to grind anything." ~~ because a couple of hours after you say it, and vacuum out the boat, you'll discover something else that needs to be grinded down ~~~~ and you'll grind that, celebrate, vacuum, and then repeat the whole process over again. I am on my 3rd shop vac (all bought with American Express ~ so they automatically come with a 12 month warranty...) ~~~ lol

Fun times!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
Stringer replacement job completed July 3 2014.
Exterior painted June 2015.
The Trailer is next.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 4:30am
Originally posted by iplan iplan wrote:

Looking like a project that needed to be done, and you can do it!

These guys on the forum are great resources, and there are a ton of threads detailing exactly what you need to do next ~ alternatives, etc. ~ and when in doubt ask.

I am nearly done with my stringer replacement job and I had no idea what I was doing when I started, but there is certainly something empowering about it.

My two cents: invest in a quality respirator and don't quit ~~~ and never tell anyone "You know I think that was the last time I'll need to grind anything." ~~ because a couple of hours after you say it, and vacuum out the boat, you'll discover something else that needs to be grinded down ~~~~ and you'll grind that, celebrate, vacuum, and then repeat the whole process over again. I am on my 3rd shop vac (all bought with American Express ~ so they automatically come with a 12 month warranty...) ~~~ lol

Fun times!

...If you are on your 3rd shop vac, then I bet you are using the filter they come with? You need a fine dust filter, like for drywall dust. Just clean them out once in a while and the vac won't overheat.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

...If you are on your 3rd shop vac, then I bet you are using the filter they come with? You need a fine dust filter, like for drywall dust. Just clean them out once in a while and the vac won't overheat.

"Fine Dust Filter" ???? We don't have such things in the United States!   

What we have instead is this thing called an "AMERICAN Express Card" ~ which provides a 12 month warranty on every purchase you make; so even if they did make a "fine dust filter," you wouldn't need it (at least not for 12 months).

Just kidding! ~~~~ That might explain a lot actually. I'll look into it!
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 4:05pm
Hey Iplan, I actually just got caught up on your build thread, it has been helpful. My plan is to do the stringer repair and all that goes with it, foam the hull, board the deck, carpet the interior with a dark gray, get new seat foams and skins, paint the boat, build a new wake tower, and add some goodies to it.
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 4:11pm
I did get more foam out last night, also got the blower motor and bulk head out. I wasn't sure if I had to remove all this but my fresh air vents were all falling apart and weren't hooked up so I figured it would be best.

Actually most of the vents for the blower and fresh air werent hooked up when I got it. Im not sure how safe this was for the previous owner.
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by wade_ab wade_ab wrote:

Hey Iplan, I actually just got caught up on your build thread, it has been helpful.

Really? I'm shocked! I think there are much better threads out there that do a much better job of documenting the work. The problem with a lot of the best ones is that the photos are not active anymore (because they used photobucket) and the files were eventually deleted or something) ~ so you really can't see what is going on.

All that said: your plan for the rebuild sounds good. I'm going to paint my boat this fall, and it'll be completely restored:
2012: engine rebuild
2013: chairs, doghouse, etc. were redone (should have waited on that because they were completed last May ~~~~ and the boat is still not done.
Now: Stringers
Before Next Season: Paint, and overhaul of the trailer..... then the boat I had a poster of on my bedroom wall in 1985 will be complete ~ except that the boat in the poster had was blue & white.....

Ahhhhh, the things we do for love.

~~~~ Do you have an idea or plan for pulling your stringers? I know I pulled the starboard side main and secondary ~~~ doing a good job to try to keep things intact so I could make a template. I made both port and starboard side templates off of that set.... There was a significant bit of rot underneath the captain's chair ~ and my secondary stringers ended up being about 3/4 inch too low. I built the area back to the proper height using expoxy and fiberglass, but it would have been much easier to cut them too big and sand them down with a electric planer instead.

You're making a ton of progress. Kudos ~~~~~~
85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:23pm
3rd shop vac?? I don't care if you bought them with an American Express cad or not. They will catch on. The problem you have is buying CHEAP home center vacs! Have you ever read the specs? The cheap ones have a very bad duty cycle. You run them for any long period of time and you will burn them up. A good quality vac with a 100% duty cycle would be a Milwaukee but they get up there in price. We use only Milwaukee's at the plant since we went though so many of the cheap ones. Buy CHEAP and you get CHEAP!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 10:24pm
I used to work at Home Depot. I have had my Ridgid shop vac for 10 years, and done tons of work with it. If you use the right filter and make sure you shake it off often so it doesn't cake up, then the motor will not overheat. Its the heat that kills. Sure there are more expensive units out there, but a good 60 dollar unit can last if you look after it.
But you are right, one day someone will notice the wrong filter was used, and void the warranty. The Ridgid rep used to look for any signs of drywall dust as evidence.......
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 10:52pm
try taking the filter off and cover the exhaust with a wet rag.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 10:58pm
The filter keeps the dust from clogging up the motor....
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 11:33pm
mmmm, the motor almost has to be sealed. No way can China design a vac that pulls air through the motor. If so, I wouldn't think they'd last 5 minutes under any conditions. Plus if they weren't sealed that time I had to use a shop vac to pump gasoline should've been a major disaster from the reaction of the armature. I've never taken one apart but certainly the motor drives a separate squirrel cage of some sort and the dirt moves through the cage and filter just catches the discharge air. That's how I'd design one anyway. Sorry, end of thread jack. Just thought removing filter might help suck the dust a lil better.
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 8:05pm
Haha to end the discussion of vacs ill share yesterday afternoons progress.

I got the starboard secondary out without destroying it.
I got to find someplace to order some fir. Everything is just pine here.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 10:34pm
Clear "yellow" pine will work also.
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:32am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Clear "yellow" pine will work also.

Will it work for the primary stringers too?
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:13pm
Wade - pine is fine for the secondary stringers and you can find that at a Lowes or Home Depot.

For the primary stringers, you shouldn't use pine. Plenty of other people have done rebuilds in Texas. Hopefully one of them will chime in with a source. You may be able to ask the place to order it.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 9:09pm

I used to work at Home Depot. I have had my Ridgid shop vac for 10 years, and done tons of work with it.

And how long did you run it?? Over an hour for each use?? Have you ever looked at the duty cycle as I mentioned?? I don't care who's name is on it, it's still a piece of CHEAP from China. As I mentioned, we went through plenty (4 if I remember correctly) at work before we went with a $600.00 Milwaukee.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 10:01pm
I called a lumber yard and they said they could order me some fir for $69.90 a board. Seems a wee bit much? Or is that the going rate for fir?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 7:52am

I called a lumber yard and they said they could order me some fir for $69.90 a board. Seems a wee bit much? Or is that the going rate for fir?

You need to clarify. A "board" is what? If it's board foot then yes, it's WAY high. If that's per stringer then it's good. Get your lumber terms correct!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
iplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I used to work at Home Depot. I have had my Ridgid shop vac for 10 years, and done tons of work with it.

And how long did you run it?? Over an hour for each use?? Have you ever looked at the duty cycle as I mentioned?? I don't care who's name is on it, it's still a piece of CHEAP from China. As I mentioned, we went through plenty (4 if I remember correctly) at work before we went with a $600.00 Milwaukee.

Such a tool purist. How many shop vacs could you buy and replace for $600? At the rate I'm going I could replace 12 vacs before I crested the cost of your 1 vac.

Further, I'll probably use my shop vac (and probably every tool I've bought to do my project) once a month (on a good month) after I get my boat done.... so spending that kind of money on something I'll rarely if ever use is not a wise investment.

85 Ski Nautique 2001.
The Trailer is next.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 10:17am

Seems your terminology is correct here as that seems to be a likely cost per board which is what you said. Some here are very quick to pick apart what has been written and criticize and a lot of time is lost on the constant nit picking. That said please use douglas fir, not yellow pine. You will not get good service from the pine.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 11:02am
Clear southern yellow pine!! NOT SPF THAT YOU FIND AT HOME DUMPO!!!
Yellow pine is used as bleacher seats and also as exterior porch flooring. It is strong and weather resistant it also easily absorbs weather proof treatments as in CPES

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fpltn/fpltn-119-1952.pdf
wade_ab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade_ab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 11:29am
Yeah that price was for a 2"x10" 14' long. $70 per board for that just seems high but ill go with it.   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 11:36am

Yeah that price was for a 2"x10" 14' long. $70 per board for that just seems high but ill go with it.   

...as long as you confirm thats douglas fir your good, go with it
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 11:41am
Pete, I used to think that buying the "best" was the way to go, but found that more times than not it disappointed me as it was never as good as I expected. Now I buy "cheap" and I find it seldom disappoints me. We've had a Ridgid shop vac for more than 10 years and not only has it serviced all our cars and boats, but also the many cars and boats my kids have detailed for other people. It's still going strong. For hand tools Craftsman is by far the best value/quality out there.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 12:06pm
what Bruce said...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I used it to vacusand drywall over 1000 sft basement more than once, plus other things. Its more than paid for itself. 50 bucks vs 600. Don't think so. If you look after a cheaper tool, it will look after you in most cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic