Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hydraulic boat-lift

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hydraulic boat-lift
    Posted: May-08-2014 at 12:39am
need help. im making a hydraulic boat lift for my sn. does anyone know want kind of fluid to use that is safe for the lake?
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 1:01am
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 1:31am
I'm sure any of those linked above would be fine, but another option is to check with the folks who make the lifts (Basta, Sunstream), I know I saw the fluid advertised on one of their sites.

So, you are making your own? Interesting. I have thought about it, but I have no metal skills. New ones cost more than my boat (cant justify that) and it seems all the used ones are in Seattle. How far are you on your project? If still planning stages, maybe this would be a possible alternative for you, but I'm not sure if 3000# is cutting it close for a SN (vs my ST) If this was closer to me, Id look at it.

Nyman lift in Western MA

Anyway, if you are building, I'd be interested in how you are going about it.

wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 12:54pm
I have a Nyman lift that I'm converting to a hydraulic lift. I found a 68inch stainless cylinder on eBay, bought a 12 volt pump off eBay, I had some mounts fabricated for the cylinder to fit. all I need now is my hydraulic hoses, a dock box and solar panel. and of course to me the most important thing is the safest hydraulic oil to use on the lake. I will be into the conversion about 900 to 1k once down. TY
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by wsavini wsavini wrote:

I have a Nyman lift that I'm converting to a hydraulic lift. I found a 68inch stainless cylinder on eBay, bought a 12 volt pump off eBay, I had some mounts fabricated for the cylinder to fit. all I need now is my hydraulic hoses, a dock box and solar panel. and of course to me the most important thing is the safest hydraulic oil to use on the lake. I will be into the conversion about 900 to 1k once down. TY

Wayne
It's always great to hear about someone engineering their own system especially when the needed cylinder bore diameter, stroke, pump displacement, HP and pressure needed to create the force is calculated. When looking for an oil, use "food grade" as a key word. All the oil producers have the product as it's NSF certified. The easy one to find is: Food grade at McMaster Keep the MSDS just in case one of the DNR jerks stops by!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 4:05pm
Wayne, Is that now a water lift? Did it ever fail or hang up? Did you buy it from someone in Webster, Ma? I was going o suggest vegetable oil but Pete kinda beat me to it!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 6:55pm
Kevin,
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I was going o suggest vegetable oil but Pete kinda beat me to it!

Not a bad though but straight vegetable oil is something you don't want in a hydraulic system.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dkilcoyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkilcoyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2017 at 3:44pm
Did you every get the lift converted? I'm looking to do the same thing. I have an old Nyman, someone dropping next to my dock and I want to convert it to oil. Can you share any specs? Specifically the cylinder, and brackets used?
Dan
dkilcoyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkilcoyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 11:59am
Did you every get the lift converted? I'm looking to do the same thing. I have an old Nyman, someone dropping next to my dock and I want to convert it to oil. Can you share any specs? Specifically the cylinder, and brackets used?
Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 12:25pm
Dan,
Have you tried to send Wayne a PM? He does come on site and with a PM, he most likely won't miss your question.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 12:42pm
Hi yes I did convert. I found a stainless cylinder on eBay and drew up anplan around the cylinder. Had a welder make me up some brackets.
wsavini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsavini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 1:03pm
I'm Not sure this video will work. It shows my lift. Send me your email and I'll send you a video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic