Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

howling noise when put in gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: howling noise when put in gear
    Posted: May-24-2014 at 5:32pm
I just purchased a 88 cc Dominique. While on the trailer with a garden hose the engine/transmission makes a howling noise when slipped in gear. Also the prop turns very hard by hand?
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2014 at 6:14pm
No don't that. It's squealing bc water lubricates the shaft bearing. Next time, take a second hose and squirt water on the strut while prop is in gear. But in the driveway there's not much reason to go in gear except to do quick vibration/tranny check.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2014 at 6:17pm
First thing don't put it in gear on trailer.What's done is done disconnect drive flange where it connects to output flange on trans and determine how bad the allignment is.Prop should turn easy then and you can spin and check for straightness.Next step is adjust engine and trans with adjustment bolts on mounts to get straight with shaft.Search here for alignment thread study and check back when stumped these guys can walk you through it not rocket science.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2014 at 2:19pm
Brett,
Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? We love them! A diary entry would be great too.

As mentioned, the cutlass is water lubricated so do not put the boat in gear dry.

Also as mentioned, it would be a good idea to check the alignment. Here's the thread Next question is how are the stringers? A 88 is at the age where you could have some problems.

One more thing is you may get more member views by posting a question of this nature in the boat maintenance section. The "new" section is typically for items new to the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 7:58pm
Brett,
How about some feedback? We love to help but also like to hear results. You were on site on the 4th so hopefully you saw the suggestions. Is this your first inboard?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 1:42pm
I want to thank you all. I'm happy to be in the CC Family. The response I've received have been super helpful. The squealing was due to a dry shaft strut bearing. She runs great. My 88 has only 386 hours so everything is original and in pretty good shape. I am unable to turn the motor mounts and all probes indicate solid stringers. Other than replacing the impeller she seems good to go. I'll post some pics.

Here is a question for you all. I have a 81 Southwind that needs a floor and possibly a stringer job. The interior is also rough. However the prop, tyranny, swim deck and hull are in great shape. The motor turns over but we couldn't get it to start. Do I part it out or restore that is the question. Lol. Look forward to suggestions. Thanks.

Brett
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 2:43pm
Orlando 76 your advice was spot on thanks. I was so relieved as I was unable to water test at purchase site. Thanks again..

Brett
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic