Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’94 Ski Nautique Overheated

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ncc74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncc74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’94 Ski Nautique Overheated
    Posted: April-15-2006 at 8:20pm
Today I lake tested a '94 SN I am interested in buying. Boat was at about 3/4 throttle and the engine started popping. Temp was at about 230 degrees. After shutting down engine we noticed the water intake line was left disconnected after winterizing and not hooked back up. Needless to say the impeller was melted, as it didn't pump water after the line was hooked back up and continued to overheat. Should I walk away from this boat due to potential damage to engine or do the pcm pro boss engines have an automatic shutdown for this reason?
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2006 at 10:36pm
The audible alarm and temp light should have gone on way before 230 degrees. If they didn't, that's something else to check out on it. I'd walk unless you can get a really good deal on it. If you stick with it, make sure the "fried" parts are replaced, a PCM certified tech checks, and you give it a good lake test for a few hours. Then maybe pay someone else to check it out. There are other boats out there, you may just have to keep looking.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2006 at 9:56am
The engine "popping" was probably the limp mode coming into play. After the impellar is replaced, remove the exhaust hoses and see if the inside was overheated sufficiently to cause them to collapse internally. Do a compression check to make sure head gasket did not blow or other internal damage. Run the engine/boat on the lake for awhile and then look for water in the oil or other signs of a cracked block or head(s).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic