NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition trouble
    Posted: April-16-2006 at 9:48pm
Help or suggestions???

92 SN think I have protec trouble,seem to be down on 2 cylinders,New plugs,new wires,rebuilt carb.

Anyone know how to test the coil packs?

Parts for these?

Thanks in advance guys

Munday
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 10:05am
Check for spark at the plugs connected to the suspect coil pack. the coil packs do indeed control two spark plugs, so you may be on the right track.

Since you have a '92, you have a carbed engine and thus PCM will say the coil packs are no longer available. PCM does however have NOS coil packs to sell to TBI owners to keep those engines running. So, worth a shot to call PCM. Otherwise, search around for persons who have already done the conventional ignition conversion and may have the coil packs lying around.+

Almost forgot...to test the suspect coil pack, simple change its location and see if your dead cylinders move location as well.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2006 at 5:58pm
Thanks David I've been awaitting your reply.

I came home and did as much research as I could with owners manual and this site.

Think I'll go back to lake this coming weekend and do a full connectot clean up see if i get any where,and if still bad i'll swap around see if i can identify bad coil.

Is the conversion at DIM a point system seems llike it what little they tell you.

I think I can do total MSD with 6al box cheaper than that.Do you foresee any problems going that way?

I also found GM HEI's remanufactured to ford shaft,this seems pretty simple and readly available parts.One wire set up.

Thanks again David

Munday
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic