Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replace bad GT40 heads with aluminum ones

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
the bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace bad GT40 heads with aluminum ones
    Posted: June-08-2014 at 1:24pm
I have a 1996 Ski Nautique with a 351w pcm motor. My stock gt40 heads are testing bad (leakdown test shows air leaking into intake. I want to replace the heads and came across Ford Racing ones on summits website http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6049-x306
They look like they fit right in! Anyone use these or have any input before I pull the trigger?
Cheers
Tommy
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 2:42pm
You could,I think Joe has aluminium ones on his stroker motor. Other than that if you use them on a stock engine you won't see any gain. Many,myself included have used GT40p heads with excellent results.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
the bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 4:24pm
I want to be able to run 87 Shell Marine gas with out any worries. Don't the p heads bump up the compression? The only 93 octane gas around here has ethanol in it. Is there a place that sells new p heads or do I have to gamble on a used set then take them to a machine shop and hope they do it right?

If it runs good I am happy, just don't want to use something that is going to make me lose that low end torque that the boat is designed for.

THX!
Tommy
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 4:32pm
Tommy,
Tell us more. Why are you concerned with ethanol 87 fuel? Both straight gas and ethanol are still unleaded.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
the bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 5:07pm
I do not use ethanol gas in my boat. It draws water in from the atmosphere from what I have seen and goes bad quicker. It tears up plastic and hoses as well. 87 marine gas works great in cars as well. I have seen it make cars with failing catalytic converters run cleaner. I also get better fuel economy in my cars with as well.

the bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 5:08pm
BTW 87 Shell Marine gas does NOT have ethanol in it.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 6:36pm
Valid concerns Tommy however Pete and I live where it's easier to buy a hand gun on a corner than it is to buy gas with no ethanol We have to run it in everything we own. The only engine I have had trouble is in a Stihl weed whip and I'm not even sure that was the cause. Keep in mind Ford had to design their heads for where ever they were used so they had to be for all 50 states. I personally would be more worried about dissimilar metals using plain water than running alcohol in the fuel and really that's not a problem in fresh water.
The reason you get better mileage in a car with no ethanol is because ethanol has less btu's than gasoline. I have heard that is why you get better mileage with a top tier gasoline compared to a no name brand. A no name will sell for price and can use up to 10% ethanol where as a top tier might only have 5%.
As to compression you will have to check out what the aluminum heads have for chamber volume,they too might raise it,but aluminum does disapate that heat better. I believe my low end with the p's is better now than with the early 70's heads I had. You can buy remanufactured heads.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 7:02pm
Whats the price difference between the Ford Racing heads and GT40s?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 8:46pm
As Gary mentioned, I too would be concerned with dissimilar metals. Yes, it has been done but with the expansion rate being different there's always a chance it won't work out. Have the old ones worked on or as mentioned get a set of the GT40's

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 12:21am
Any good machine shop can repair your current heads to 100% new condition, you can ask around and find great shops in your area, NC is home of Nascar shops so many good shops are around. I would certainly use word of mouth on recommendations not local adds.
Aluminum heads are not an issue and many times can give you better flow than factory heads. AFR would be my first choice if an upgrade is wanted but with our boats maxing at 5,200 RPM you may not realize all the potential a good Aluminum head can offer and at $400 for a rebuilt set of heads vs 1,800 for a set of good AFR heads you might want to consider what you really want. The GT40 runs really well factory stock.
If you were spinning your engine to 6,000 RPM I think the power gap would be wider and the advantage of good heads would go up but at 5,200 I doubt if you would find 25 HP even in AFR design heads.
the bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 6:44pm
Yeah I hope they can fix the GT40 heads for me, but if they are cracked then they are boat anchors. The ford racing heads are almost the same specs as the stock heads. That is why I like them. Skidim has the gt40 heads but they are a little to proud of them for what they are asking.
Where do you guys pick up reman heads(gt40p)from?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 7:12pm
A good set of rebuilt gt40p's will run on the 500 or 600 range..bolt on ready...
try either Tri state cylinder heads or Clear water cylinder heads...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2014 at 11:27pm
Check with your local machine shops, they may have cores sitting on the shelf. Many people upgrade to Aluminum heads for car applications and the old heads are set aside. You may find a spare easy if needed.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 1:02am
When you put it together, I recommend Fel-Pro gaskets.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic