NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 Shamrock 20 referb

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 Shamrock 20 referb
    Posted: June-10-2014 at 12:42pm
Thought I'd share some pictures of this summers project. Dad bought
it in Miami for use here in Illinois back in 94. Mechanically in
great shape,repowered PCM 302 with 275 hours but with a poor paint
job. I had repainted the transom with Imron when bought and it has
held up well so the plan is to reuse with a possible color change,
a swim platform and new electronics.Then a return to South Florida!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 2:05pm
What color Blue are you painting it??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 4:34pm
The thought did cross my mind- maybe a little lighter

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 5:00pm
Signing up for this thread! I've always loved the Shamrocks!

Looking good, Gary.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 8:42pm
that is a beauty, good for any water , i love the teak, the blue is a good choice. i find myself looking for a coastal boat thats not been in salt water and there are always some shamrocks from lake champlain area . a boat built for chop but in fresh water
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 8:52pm
Right now I have the transom done and almost one side sanded using a DA. Going pretty fast have about an hour and a half in on sanding but I'm getting deep in to the might as well stage,I pulled off the rub rail,I guess I'll replace it,same with the lighting. Originally was only going to do the hull but the deck has some runs and orange peely paint and holes in the dash from old mountings. So now I'm waiting on some fiberglass safe paint stripper so I can remove the build up in the non slip areas so in the mean time I'll keep sanding and removing parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 9:01pm
Gary,
Do you have any idea what was used for the bad paint job? It may not come off with the safe for glass stripper.

Looking good. Keep up the hard work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2014 at 9:40pm
I have no idea Pete,wish I did but it was done sometime before Dad bought it,could be house paint for all I know! It is thin though and sands fast,might be why there are runs in it. I only ordered a quart of remover to see if it works. I wish it was gel but that's not going to happen.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 4:19pm
I think I'm finding out why it was painted, the gel is in pretty bad shape. Looks to me like it's alligatoring, it's where the gel crazes much like the glazing on a dinner plate can do. I have read that it can be caused by too thin of gel and then the solvents in the glass attack it . It seems worse where the sun has been on it and many of you know the Florida sun! It then telegraphed thru the crummy paint job. I'm going to do the best I can but since it's going back to the fun and sun I'm not going to go crazy on it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 1:43am
had a friend on Sandusky Bay with a Shamrock.....will be awaiting my Florida ride on her!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 12:17am
Well I have it apart as far as I'm going to go. Turns out the
fiberglass safe paint remover removes the gel too.I was going
to only use it on the nonskid areas but now I'm just going
to use an abrasive wheel to knock down the gloss so the new
paint sticks. This thing sure had a rough life in the 16 years
before my Dad bought it. Look at all the holes that were drilled
in to the dash,none were done on our watch.I'm filling them all,
I need new electronics anyway. Bought some Imron primer surfacer
nearly fell over on the price. 1 gallon of primer,1 gal activator,
1 gal of reducer came to 450. At current rock lobster prices thats
37 pounds worth!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 12:48am
Nice project, got to love the shamrocks.
Are you spraying the hull yourself? having it sprayed? rolling and tipping?
Do you plan to use imron for the topcoat as well?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 1:11am
Spraying it myself Tony with Imron all the way,got a fresh air hood setup too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 1:19am
Imron is some tough stuff.

any specific reason your going with that vs awlgrip or another comparable product?
I have never sprayed awlgrip But i believe thats what i will be using when i get around to doing my hull.
both are great products. both expensive, and long lasting from what i have seen.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 2:01am
I have 0 experience with those other paints,have been a hobbyist painter for 30 years who also has a good friend who has his own body shop I can fall back on. I was just talking to Merrit Marine Supply where I got my paint,they were saying Awlgrip is thinner and needs more coats to cover, and color choices are few. I have heard it supposedly cannot be repaired but really don't know anything about it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 10:23pm
Been working myself to death to get this thing done,havn't even touched the Mustang since I got stuck at Chris's. Got it all painted at the first of the month and been putting it together since.Good thing it is only a 20 footer,it took up the whole garage.The last time I painted the Mustangs trailer,paint got over everything. This time I used the other garage and lined the whole thing in plastic which helped alot. New glass side windows to replace the crazing tinted plastic ones,new lighting,new air horns. Waiting for the hardware to finish the install of the new platform and a few other miscellaneous things and I'm done!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 10:27pm

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 10:34pm
It is looking great Gary. You are adventurous to make that garage bay a paint booth and still pull off such a great looking job. How many coats of Imron did it take? Is there still a spray, sand, spray process with that product?

Has the boat always been registered in IL? I thought it was going back to the Keys?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 10:52pm
looks awesome man, not that I'm surprised. how many footers will it pull when its finished? keep up the good work.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:15pm
Depends what I'm trying to catch Adam    When a Dad brought it home John he registered it up here. I will just keep it registered up here. As to the Imron, it goes on in two coats. No sanding unless you make a mistake, I should have pulled it forward in the garage and done the transom. I was too close and got some runs near the rub rail. I waited 12 hours and was able to sand and polish them out,wait too long and Imron gets too difficult to sand. It did turn out way better than I hoped. Not too happy about the color of the bottom paint though,maybe next year I'll go lighter. The deck/gunnel was the hardest to do,very hard to stand and reach while trying not to lean on what you just did. I don't think I'd want to do an any bigger boat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 1:15am
awesome job..still waiting for my ride!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 9:52am
looks good Gary. you must have added some lights to that garage bay to get enough sight to spray that well in there
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 9:52am
Looks GREAT! Where in Florida are you taking it? The Keys?
Js
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2014 at 10:10am
Looks great Gary!

I hope you used a fresh air hood with that Imron.

How much did the paint put you back - $300?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 10:44pm
My internet has been out! Too hard to post from phone but now I'm back. I used stand flood lights and kept the door open to see worked ok would have liked 1 more light.Boat is headed for the Keys soon but found out today manifolds are bad,just when I thought I was about done. Paint was just under 800 Chris for primer,it's thinner and activator,color and it's activator.,kicker is I only needed about a qt of thinner and primer activator,but only comes in a gallon for around 100 a gallon :( and I do have a fresh air hood that I bought a long time ago so that cost was not put on this project ;). Was originally going to paint it out side but when doing some trim found out some bugs really liked the color too so that's one reason I ended up inside,so then you really need good light and hood.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2014 at 11:02pm
That looks awesome Gary, I'm so impressed with the work you do! The hull is timeless, really like the look.

Seems like the 302 is probably the perfect engine for it, plenty of power and very efficient at low cruise speed.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 4:57pm
Gary - Ford 302 PCM?? I have a set that may work. I'll shoot you a PM.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2014 at 8:50pm
Sent you one back Chris
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 8:15pm
WOW. I do not know how I missed this thread. Great job.

Donald
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2014 at 9:14pm
Very nice !!
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic