Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

502 Python Motor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
plendroth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plendroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 502 Python Motor
    Posted: June-12-2014 at 12:42am
What year(s) and model(s) were the Python engines put in the Nautiques? How many were produced? Were they sold in a particular part of the country? Looking for some pros & cons regarding the engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
PHL
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 7:45am
Phil,
Tell us more about your intended use for the 502.

Welcome to CCfan. What model CC do you have? Don't forget we love pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 10:17am
99' thru 02' iirc, the latest editions were a little different, 496 maybe. It was about a 6k option available for all models except the 176. They most likely ended up wherever a buyer was willing to drop the extra 6k for what would have been on average a 35k boat. There are not many out there, not sure on the numbers but they are relatively rare. As far as reliability, one member here had his need a rebuild relatively early in it's life, around the 1k hr mark iirc. Pro of course would be 430hp, con perhaps being fuel consumption depending on your use, they are loud as all were dual exhaust and sometimes made the platform rattle at idle.

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 10:46am
What trans and prop did they use?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 10:57am
According to Tim a python in a v drive has no muffler,this could be a pro or a con depending on your use!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 11:01am
They also shook the boat like mad... and if you had this motor in a v-drive SAN you lost a flat sun deck as they had to "hump" up the center section to fit the thing in under the cowling.

I remember Raindogs, which was beautiful in black, but man you would stand on the platform with the motor running and it would vibrate you dry in a minute..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 11:04am
Pythons didn't get anything special transmission-wise as far as I'm aware. All were bolted to standard PCM 40a trannies, I believe. Direct drives were mated to the 1.23. They did get 1-1/8" shafts and big props (13x18) though.

I'm not sure any of the pythons got mufflers, supposedly no room for them in the v-drives. No sure what the rationale was, but direct drives got dual exhaust tips too, making them about the only cc's to not have single exhaust after 89.

502 (gen 5) was used 99-00, and 496 (gen 6) offered 01-02, I believe. The extra hp is very obvious on a properly tuned engine, but don't forget it comes with a 300 lb weight penalty over the small block. In addition to the extra noise, they're rumored to be oil consumers.
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 6:53pm
I think the 502 Python was offered from 99-01. It might have been mid 01 that they switched to the 496 Python and I know at least a few 03 models got the 496 Python but those could have just been what was leftover. The same 496 is still being made today under the Crusader name or at least it was 2 years ago. Both versions of the Python are pretty rare but as was stated it could be had in any model but the 176. Some of the Ski Nautiques that got it were for pulling ski flying tournaments but customers could order it if they wanted to. I think the majority of them went into Super Sport/Super Airs and I have seen quite a few Pro Airs with them. I have never seen a Sport/Air with one but doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

I believe the 496 is a little more civilized but the 502 is certainly loud and rumbly. It is nearly impossible to strap into a wakeboard without getting bounced off the platform if the engine is running but that is just another reason to shut the motor off when changing riders. When sitting in the boat I don’t feel any additional vibration compared to other Nautiques. There is no inverta-flo so just twin 4” hoses coming directly off the risers. The 502s are known to burn a little oil. I always keep a good eye on oil level and it seems to burn less than a ½ quart in 50 hrs. Since switching to Rotella T I have burned hardly any oil between changes.

As you can see in the pics with my sundeck removed they did need to notch the sundeck to fit the motor. The notch is much more prevalent in the later years with the 3 piece sundeck than it was with the 1 piece. I also had my upholstery guy add extra foam to smooth it out when it was recovered and I have been very happy with the results as has my wife.

I think the factory prop was a 14” x 18” on the v-drives but maybe it’s a 13” x 18”. Trans and V-drive is the same as the small blocks.
The 430 HP more than makes up for the added weight of the big block. My Super Sport will GPS in excess of 50 mph but I don’t go anywhere near that often because the fuel consumption is just silly. Keep the RPMs down and speed under 40 and she is downright economic. With about 2000 lbs of ballast at 23 mph it only spins about 2400 rpm and it doesn’t take much effort at all to get on plane. There are lots of pros and the only con I have found is that you need to look a little harder for parts but Zach has been able to track down anything I have needed. I know you guys like pics so here you go and I will try to get around to my diary entry sometime soon.

scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2014 at 10:45pm
I have a 99 ski with a 502 python. It shares the transmission with the GT40. The engine was built on the GM 8.2L which was known for using oil. GM said 1 quart in 8 hours is normal.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
plendroth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plendroth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 7:28pm
I am considering selling our 1999 Sports Nautique.   Folks have been referring to vibration issues but we haven't experienced that. It has the 502 Python Motor (430 h.p.) and only has 220 hours on the engine. As most of you must know, you can pull as many skiers as you would like. We had a tower installed after market. It is our first wakeboard boat and truly handles like the "porche" of boating. What is a fair price to ask for this boat?
PHL
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 12:08am
Hey PHL, the value is really a function of the condition of the boat....

While some may pay a premium for cubic inches, the vast majority will not, but will pay a premium for a super clean, low-hours boat.

Market value on a low-time GT-40 Sport, with some additional options and such is 18k or so. This would be for mid to late 90's boats like yours. A bit newer, more, a bit older, less, until you get older than 94, then really low values, but you're not competing with those boats...

I just sold my GT-40 Sport, with the wake board options, heater, perfect pass, shower, etc...500 hours, interior very nice, everything working, dual axle trailer, etc...

For 18k, through this website.

And yes, I sent in my 1%.

Thanks CCF, I'll be here daily...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 2:04am
I test drove a '99 Sport with python before buying my GT-40 Sport. I thought it was a different ride, more side spray, heavier feel in the water, appeared to be more of a wake. The sound and power are very cool, really thought hard about it, but since I wanted the boat for slalom it really didn't make sense.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
skierox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 4:54pm
My 99 Python has been an awesome skiing and barefoot boat. I like the slalom wake way over 2005 ski 206.

Only other thing to mention is that the engine really likes 91 or higher octane. This is what I was told to put in. More expensive at the pump.

Such a great boat, that mine will never leave. My daughter has already requested this one someday. We have owned at least a dozen correct crafts over the years, for sure this is our best boat. Also, it sounds like a Harley and yes the swim platform shakes a lot when starting.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by skierox skierox wrote:

Also, it sounds like a Harley and yes the swim platform shakes a lot when starting.

What else could one possibly ask for?

hi to Paulie for me!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 10:17pm
For the longest time I was on a quest for the Python. I didn't think the GT40 had enough punch for the TSC1 hull. After my discussions with Tim, he convinced me I'd be more than satisfied with the GT40. Although I'm a fan of the Python, I'm glad I went with the GT40. Excellent on gas, nice hole shot, quiet but still has a slight rumble and super easy to get tune up parts for. I wish Ford still made inboard engines!

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic