Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine don't start then stop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Richard Wong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine don't start then stop
    Posted: June-15-2014 at 5:38pm
After fighting the engine over heat and solved , another issue happen immediately ,
after fix the overheat problem,Went out for wakeboard on the sea 4 hour ,all is fine,until back to the hard stand and flushing the engine,it can't run continuely , test the following:
1 ) spark plug,remove a spark plug,no wet,has spark when crank,
2 ) fuel rail and fuel cell ,has gasoline splash,fuel press looks like normal ,
3 ) check all breakers ,in kick board and engine room,no tripped,
4 ) lanyard checked ,no open circuit,
5 )battery checked good enough ,
    any where I should check ?
* the temp gauge long time in zero,
* oil gauge don't drop to zero even turned off the engine,
* recently idling not so steadily and had few times stall these not happen before,
* when press start ,the engine looks firing until release the button.
Appreciate any advise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2014 at 11:09pm
still not fix, any thought ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lnv-nFlJQ&feature=youtu.be
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 12:33am

We need a working link to your video.

I searching "Richard Wong Nautique" and YouTube served up the following, which is entertaining but not necessarily helpful:

http://youtu.be/5WW1zSuV5Yo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 12:40pm
The link is ok now,I forgot to publish sorry.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 12:48pm
Ok, cool, I got it now.

Here is the video embedded:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 1:15pm
Seems to be a fuel supply problem.

I'd check:

1.) Your safety lanyard. These control the fuel, not the starter motor or ignition. They cause more problems then you think. Even if it's on, fiddle with it a bit to see if it might be faulty and causing problems.

2.) The Fuel Control Cell (If you have one) there is a little piece of tubing in there that can crack and cause problems

3.) Relays. The Fuel Pump relay, identical to the EEC relay, can cause problems.

Hopefully others will weigh in as well.

Let us know what you find. Also, read some of the threads here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 3:52pm
Is the fuel/gas fresh and good?
When the low pressure fuel pump on my excal was failing the symptoms were very similar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 7:08pm
* it ran strong few minutes backward on the ramp for removing the boat to water because the trailer and boat stuck on the ramp, then the issue occur when flush the engine .
* find the gas finished at the moment,than fill it up with new gas.
* suspected Lanyard and checked, open current of the lanyard is 45ma on DVM,is this right ?
* Both low and high pressure pump are running,so can get gas strong fire out from the injector rail test point.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Richard Wong Richard Wong wrote:

* suspected Lanyard and checked, open current of the lanyard is 45ma on DVM,is this right ?

You want to check Ohms and not ma. You should get a near zero Ohm reading.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2014 at 12:05am
when the lanyard put in place, its zero ohm,when not in place I measure the current to make sure the loop is not open.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2014 at 5:05pm
got a OBDII scanner from China, but can't find the right connector for the GT- 40, seems they are unify to a standard type but different from GT-40 used in Nautique, how you guys connect it to the STO of GT-40? or any one know how to modify it?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2014 at 5:34pm
What year is your boat? I did not think they had obd II on them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2014 at 9:49pm
2001 Super Air Nautique with GT-40 EFI,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 7:58pm
ok ,after some search and study, I believe Gary are right, my engine should be OBD!, any body could direct me the source of the Star Tester ? I can not find in Ebay.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2014 at 8:23pm
lewy2001 is our resident gt 40 expert. If I recall correctly I think this is the tester,he will know for sure. I also think you need the extension cable too. If he sees this I know he will weigh in.
I don't know if you have seen this either it may help oops I see Brian already posted that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2014 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

this is the tester,he will know for sure. I also think you need the extension cable too. If he sees this I know he will weigh in.

Yes Gary that is the correct tester for the GT40 OBD1. You dont really need the extension cable.

Hard to get a handle on the problem from that video. My first thought was the lanyard but then I heard it idle for a longer duration. I did hear a hissing noise maybe take a better video of the problem if you can enlist a camera person to help.
Fuel pressure check is your next step and if you get the code reader this little video may help.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2014 at 12:37am
ok,I should get one,this scanner can control engine start and throttle ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2014 at 9:06pm
Turned out the issue was caused by the faulty fuel siphon valve,when stronger suck, it stucks
saintjon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2014 at 2:59am
help with 79 tique please jfbowman8@gmail.com
...saintjon
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2014 at 11:28pm
Congrats on finding the problem Richard, I'm going to add this one to the thread.

Jon, you might want to start a new thread as your 79 tique has totally different fuel and ignition systems from a GT_40, although the antisiphon valve is one commonality.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2014 at 11:38pm
the breaker on the kick board beside the toggle switch always stripped down when start the engine that misleaded me a while when trouble shooting ,that controls the fuel pumps,.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:54pm
update:
the issue finish ,finally found the connection wire blue/orange from ECM pin52 to fuel relay pin86 have serious intermittant,that is the reason why fuel pump some times don't run and the breaker striped , make a new wire to connect it, it start every time !
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2014 at 9:27am
Good you found it Richard

I added this to the GT-40 thread.
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 4:58pm
Hey Brian,

Great work on keeping that spreadsheet up to date. It's only a matter of time before I'll need it.

(Glad to see Richard got his issue sorted as well of course!)

D.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 8:18pm
update: the issues: fuel pump and starter intermittent cause by a connector found under coolant tank ,its design don't water resist, many salts build up ,clean it every thing become fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic