NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick trick flick for JMurph

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick trick flick for JMurph
    Posted: June-16-2014 at 12:42am
When we were at White Lake, I was in Jackie Deen's boat when we were pulling JMurph on tricks. After just cruising around a while John asked for some tips on rotating. I gave him a few. I didnt get a chance to demo for him that day.   My neighbor pulled out his old trick skis today so here is a short clip of a couple turns. It's been many years. If you look real fast at the end, you might catch the bacerds start, but unfortunately we had a camera problem.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 1:35am
Larry any idea on what speed you were at? Rope length? Can't remember what we used to run at. I have a new to me boat and a set of new to me tricks just have to get the Mrs back in the drivers seat,it's been awhile----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 8:57am
17-18mph and a ~50' rope (22' or 28' off a slalom line) is about right on the boats I ski behind. HW likes it a little hotter with a longer rope. I prefer about as slow as the boat will put out a clean wake- no washiness on either side. A v-drive might need a few more mph before it gets clean.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 12:49pm
Too fast is too fast but too slow is exhausting. I look for a clean wake at whatever line length I am at. Therefore longer will be faster but can feel the same as shorter and slower. Tricking is the foundation of all waterskiing, keep it up.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 12:57pm
I like just slow enough so that the tails drag slightly and the skis are not slippery.

"Tricking is the foundation of all waterskiing". I like that quote Hollywood. I going to use that on the younger group we have coming up.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Too fast is too fast but too slow is exhausting. Tricking is the foundation of all waterskiing, keep it up.

I feel the same on speed, too slow kills. I trick every time we hit the water, that doesn't mean I'm any good at it but I completely agree with HW . tricking to me is my practice for form, balance, body position and endurance. You barefooters should get in the back position on two skis and ride for miles crossing the wake.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 2:45pm
I can trick 500+ points on 1 ski but I'm all thumbs when it comes to trick combos. I don't know how you guys can use those.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 4:29pm
Joel, I don't know how you do one. I got my first (and only) pair of trick skis in 1969, age 14. I got to the point you see in the video in a season or two and never progressed beyond that, tho they were never a real priority for me. I actually just threw those skis out a year or two ago as they had pretty well rotted out. To me, one ski is like standing on a bar of soap in the shower. Never quite got the hang of it and mastering 1 was the next step in advancing. I suppose if I really set my mind on it I would have progressed, but I understand that advancing on trick skis can be extremely tedious and I stuck to the faster paced events.

I just posted those couple of turns above because there is always talk of and pictures of trick skis at gatherings, but I've never seen them used for anything other than group skiing and beer drinking, tho I did know that the folks that posted above do have experience and expertise.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 5:37pm
I guess you haven't been playing attention Larry! This was several years ago, I'm sure I've posted it before. The videos from starting on the ice are under the same user, me, kfleisch88. I have since lost control of the account after the Google/ YouTube merge.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 5:51pm
HW thats nice training for barefoot surface turns!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 6:17pm
No, I definitly remembered your trick vid and the ice start HW, hence my qualifier about knowing some of the posters above having trick expertise. I was not referring to never seeing tricks being done by a CCF, I was referring to the recent surge in pulling out the trick skis at CCF gatherings. Tho Adam did a pretty good trick at White Lake when he was sitting in the water puking out his nose. I was waiting for a shark to come by and eat him. (speaking of drinking on trick skis)

I know what you're saying about google screwing up youtube. They told me the other day I would have to create a channel before I could post. I alrady had a channel. I don't want another channel and I fearerd what you just said about losing what I had. I went back later and they didnt say I had to do that. Nor do I want to use my real name on youtube.    Its not googles or anyone else's business what my real name is.   Hard to believe you actuallly lost some vids in the process tho. That stinks. Google drives me nuts lately. They feel the need to insert themselves into everything you try to do on the interwebs.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 6:20pm
I did not lose any videos. I have 2 accounts now, the frozen previous YouTube account, and now my Google account, where I've been putting LLBD videos and such the last year or so.

kap, the purpose of the 2 trick was initially to practice for [show skiing] shoe skis. Johnny and I did a bunch of shoeing late last season. If course shoes are also good practice for barefoot. It's all relative, and beneficial!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 10:36pm
By shoe skis do you mean show type shoes or BF trainers
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 11:24pm
Have been looking to add some trick skis to my list of toys in the boat.

Second hand trick's are very rare in Aus. have seen plenty of the Body Glove Wake Ski's though. Are they any good ?

What are theseConnelly Legend Tricks like ?????
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 11:43pm
HW: Nice video. Drysuit with hoists on the beach are a nice touch. Ever think of moving south of the Mason-Dixon line??
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 1:38pm
The summers are hot enough up here!

lewy, those Connellys look nice! Some plastic and most wood skis are flat on the bottom (not counting the rocker). These are really slick. Dimples and/or channels will help the ski track and edge a little better.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 1:50pm

The summers are hot enough up here!

All nine days of it. I love it down here. I never looked back.

Although my goal this past winter was to get out every month which was very doable, I didnt make it because 1 it was unusually cold, even down here and 2 I was up to my elbows in a house renovation and 3 (sadly) its not always easy to find drivers/riders in the winter. Next winter!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 2:08pm
I could definitely do without most all of the precipitation around here... Lemon Grove - San Diego County - California - "Best Climate on Earth". Problem is that it is nowhere near skiable water or my family and friends. Everywhere else is a compromise. I won't be moving anytime soon.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 2:17pm

Problem is that it is nowhere near skiable water or my family and friends. Everywhere else is a compromise. I won't be moving anytime soon.

+1 Lots of skiable water here and being centrally located it's a quick flight to almost anywhere in the US when we need a break for winter. Also just hours south of the "great northwoods", northern Wisconsin, which is my favorite place on earth.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 3:51pm
I will grant you, it is a lot prettier up north. Whether its the mountain and lake region of New Hampshire, Wisconsin (never been there but have seen pics and its the same deal) or the Adirondacks, the fringe of which where I spent my summers, and it gets nicer and nicer the deeper into the mountains you go, it is georgeous country and the lakes are beautiful. Some lakes in western NC I understand that are in nice country. Here in the "Sand Hills" its not particularly scenic, but the weather is nice, ocean is a couple hours away and mountains are a couple hours away. If the summers were not so short and winters so severe, I would certainly prefer the geography of upstate NY where I spent most of my life.

How did we get so far off track from trick skiing?
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 3:20pm
Larry,

Thanks for posting the video and remembering my feeble request for advice. HW, awesome video. I also remember the ice start video and mention it often when referring to my northern brethren and how much some of them like to ski. I was at the lake for a week over the 7/4 holiday. My brother seems to have forgotten how to drive for any skiers. I tried tricks one time and it felt like he was at about 25mph. Whatever it was, it wasn't fun. I went back to driving for everyone else and made a few slalom runs.

I may invest in some real tricks too. All of my current pairs are old flat bottom wooden CG pairs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic