Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

newby with questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
95 _SNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95 _SNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newby with questions
    Posted: April-19-2006 at 8:50am
Just wanted to say hello. This is my first season with my 95 SNOB. I posted as a guest before and want to thank everyone that replied. This site is awesome. Here goes my question. The steering seems to be really tight on my 95. I've read most of the posts on this topic. But, I wanted to know exactly how hard is it to replace the steering cable? What length should I buy? And does anyone know if the 95 has a grease fitting that could loosen it up? Thanks again. I'm glad to finally be a CC owner!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 10:55am
I dont believe that a '95 will have a greasable rudder. Before you replace the cable, you may want to see if that is the true cause of the tightness. Disconnect the cable at the rudder and turn the wheel. If its still tough to turn, its your cable. If its smooth, you may benefit from dropping the rudder and smoothing up the shaft or greasing it.

Ive been toying with the idea of doing the same since my steering can be tight at times (especially when its cold). I believe you will need to remove the gas tank to get to the rudder. If you drop it, consider getting some of the new goretex packing. I dont remember which diameter you need for the rudder vs the prop shaft, but I know someones shared that info on this site. The folks at SkiDIM probably know as well.
95 _SNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95 _SNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 11:39am
Thanks TRBenj. I'll try it and let you know.
95 _SNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95 _SNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 11:44am
nice pics TRBenj. My 95 has the same color scheme. I'll try to post some pics soon.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2006 at 7:09pm
Rudder shaft packing is 1/4. You do have to remove the gas tank. if you replace the cable you may have to go to correct craft I read a post somewhere that it is a somewhat odd size. If you do replace it attach a line to the rudder end Then ppull it out at the steering end Then repeat after tying the new one to the line.
95 _SNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95 _SNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 8:51am
thanks Rick. it'll probably be a while before i get to it. i'll let you know. Corey
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2006 at 10:34am
Thanks Corey, I love the red. My father had a '92 in the same colors. We have friends with a closed bow '95 in red/black as well. Lets see some pics!
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2006 at 1:05pm
I installed a zirc fitting on my 95 SN this weekend. Now I can grease it right from under the ski platform. When i took out the rudder it was bone dry, no wonder steering was tight. It moves much eaiser on dry land, will water test soon. I took step by step pics if anyone is interested, email me. c21darrel@hotmail.com.
95 _SNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95 _SNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2006 at 8:18pm
Thanks for pics Darrel. How much was everything? How long did it take? Just wondering.
I took the boat out to Jordan Lake on Sunday and the steering seems to loosen up a little after its been in the water a while. Is this normal?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2006 at 9:32pm
Yes its normal if it sat all winter. Thats when many learn that they need to replace the steering cable. When they sit idle for a period of time corrosion occurs.
Project took about 3 1/2 hrs. I like to work kinda slow and take my time when I'm going to drill into my boat. Grease fittings are just a couple bucks apiece and copper was $1.60/ft. I bought parts to mount in engine compart and thru the hull because i wasnt sure which way i was gonna mount it. I spent less than $20 for all.   Have Fun.
95 _SNOB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 95 _SNOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 11:41am
Sounds like a plan. I think i'll try this before i replace the cable. Thanks.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 11:48am
All you have to do is move the rudder every other week when laid-up and it doesn't get stiff or the cable doesn't get stiff. Haven't seen pictures put sounds counter productive since once it's in the water and ran the grease is going to be removed by the water flowing around the shaft.

Sounds like a big hassle for nothing other than creating a big mess of grease on the back of the boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic