Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Click or Knock in Valve Cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Click or Knock in Valve Cover
    Posted: July-03-2014 at 1:07am
So two weeks ago I was getting the boat all cleaned up before the 600 mile tow to Lake Powell for a week long houseboat trip. Had the floor and engine compartment pulled for a cleaning and decided to fire it up to make sure everything was kosher. The engine fired right up and idled great, however, I noticed a knock or click coming from the starboard valve cover. The sound was clearly coming from that side and sounded like it was happening every time one of the cylinders fired. I decided not to bring the boat because I didn't have the time to dig into it before I left. Howeever, I did check drain a little oil and didn't notice any visible milkiness. It looked maybe a little high but nothing crazy. I am dropping at my mechanic next wednesday to have it checked out.

What are the thoughts of the experts??? My wallet is hoping its just a loose rocker but...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 1:40am
Could just be a stuck lifter,has it been sitting long? Some Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam would help that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 1:58am
Ran it once in May, and two days over Memorial Weekend, and never noticed the sound but then again wasn't really running around with the engine cover open. It is in audible with it closed. Also had it at the mechanic before memorial to try to track down an oil leak and he didn't hear it then...
jblocal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblocal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2014 at 10:53am
Little while back I had a tapping coming from my 351 it ended up being an small exhaust leak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2014 at 1:27pm
http://youtu.be/ZIX7YhJliNo

Video of it running

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 1:26am
So been a while since I have been on the forum but the motor has been in to the mechanic and the problem has been found. The mechanic agreed that it sounded like lifter noise but when they pulled the valve covers they could not find the problem. Since they could not find the issue, the mechanic pulled the motor and and then the oil pan to search for the issue. They found some metal in the oil and eventually isolated the problem to a cooked piston and scuffed cylinder. Mind you this motor had no more than 50 hours on it since a complete rebuild...needless to say I am not using the same mechanic or machine shop. Everything else other the damaged cylinder and piston looked brand new so the mechanic believes that that cylinder was not clearanced properly when it was rebuilt. Screwed up the summer but should have it back for at least two more trips out to the Colorado river.

Words of wisdom from the experience would be always vet your mechanic. The one I used previously was a pain in the ass to say the least and obviously did not use a machine shop that new boat motors. It is apparent why they only offered a 90 day warranty for marine engines.

Good news is the mechanic I used this time is a family friend that has been building performance boat motors and race car motors for longer than I have been alive.

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand...or in this case a couple

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 10:28am
Wow, that's too bad.

What will they do for a remedy? Bore out that cyl only, or do you need to do all of them again?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2014 at 10:30am
You've certainly been a trooper through all this.

I hope get a chance to get back on the water this season. It's great that you live in San Diego at least, that's a really nice thing in general. I actually skied in San Diego in January one time, just needed a wet suit. At least your season is never "over" like ours is, like lake is frozen solid over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic