NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad PCM raw water pump?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad PCM raw water pump?
    Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:28pm
sorry just saw the year
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:19pm
make sure you dont have it on backwards. it is easy to do.
Lakedog55
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:10pm
Did you ever find any resolution on this?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 2:05am
We've talked a lot about the suck, but not much about the push side of the equation.

I know you said you controlled for all air leaks on the suction side by just going hose to bucket for the input.

But, what about the output side? This goes to the heat exchanger correct?

Have you tried temporarily disconnecting the hose from the RWP to the exchanger to see if you get flow then? There could be a blockage on the input side of the exchanger.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 1:25am
Originally posted by KeithOnline KeithOnline wrote:

I think the geometric dimensional differences on the impeller are the relevant issue. This would cause several orders of magnitude more bypass leak than a leak through a thread.

Has anyone seen this much variance on an impeller, or actually measured the fit requirement of an impeller in a housing?

I think your on to something here but I don't know what the answer is. If it is a Jabsco you might try contacting them,I know it was over 20 years ago but they were very helpful to me on a discontinued pump. Once again maybe you could get a genuine Jabsco impeller and see if that cures your problem. I know several years ago a member here,let's just call him Marty had a aftermarket impeller in his 60's boat that would not pump. He put in a genuine sherwood impeller and it worked,the only difference between impellers was that the genuine one had little ridges on the sides of the impeller blades, the after market one did not making the impeller just fractions narrower.
Another thing that strikes me as odd is that there are no wear plates in your pump,many of the older ones like my Jabsco and Sherwood's have a replaceable plate on one side of the impeller maybe a newer design either saves money or if it is a stainless body as opposed to a softer brass one holds up against wear better
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KeithOnline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 12:35am
It has two flats in the shaft. Jabsco calls it a type 5 drive, I believe.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 11:03pm
It's been a few months since I put mine back together, so I don't remember - - is there is a key that drives the impeller?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 5:49pm
I think the geometric dimensional differences on the impeller are the relevant issue. This would cause several orders of magnitude more bypass leak than a leak through a thread.

Has anyone seen this much variance on an impeller, or actually measured the fit requirement of an impeller in a housing?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 5:12pm

I didn't pull it. I'll check, but at worst, it could be a tiny tiny source of leak through the threads, and probably nil with the screw head seated.

Tiny, tiny sources are all you need to suck air instead of water.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 5:01pm
I didn't pull it. I'll check, but at worst, it could be a tiny tiny source of leak through the threads, and probably nil with the screw head seated.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 4:56pm

The three bolt o-rings are mainly there for an assembly aid as they are outside the sealing boundary of the main O-ring. But yes, I put them in. It does have a weep hole for the spindle pump body cover. I leak checked it, and also covered it during operation. It seems the bearing seals are fine.

What about the cam bolt o-ring and the pump housing plug?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 4:03pm
The pump has only been tested in the boat. The picture is in the boat with cover plate off. The top of the pulley goes to the right- CW.

Only have a hose on the intake, to a bucket on the swim platform. Maybe 2ft of head required.

For the photo on the desk, I didn't pay attention to how they were oriented. BTW, I did flip the one month old impeller to move against it's set, and that's why it looks so straight now. Didn't work that way either.

Right now, I can't get either of the new pumps to work, even with a prime (putting a garden hose on the inlet, while holding the inlet submerged in a bucket). The original (taller one) will pump if you prime it. If you pull it out of the bucket for a second and put it back in, no flow.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 3:36pm
Have you tried precharging it with water? I know you shouldn't have to.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 3:30pm
Someone has to ask the dumb questions, so I'll do it:

Are you spinning this pump using an electric motor or something on the bench? If so, are you for sure spinning it the same way it would spin when installed on the engine?

Part of the reason I ask, is in your first pic, the impeller vanes indicate a pump turning clockwise. And, the set of the vanes from your original impeller sitting on the table indicate it was spun Counter-clockwise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 3:08pm
The three bolt o-rings are mainly there for an assembly aid as they are outside the sealing boundary of the main O-ring. But yes, I put them in. It does have a weep hole for the spindle pump body cover. I leak checked it, and also covered it during operation. It seems the bearing seals are fine.

Here's a picture of how it looks installed.

I rotates CW, and the left hand port is the intake. I have it running straight to a hose and a bucked to eliminate any boat equipment (strainer, valves, HX, etc.).

I have tried three diffent impellers.

The ordignal (6-8 year old) appears to be about 1/16" taller. See picture for actual dimensions.

I cannot get either of the "new" ones to pump. When I put the original back in, I can get it to pump after priming it, but if it loses a prime, it doesn't recover.

The pump body has about the same depth as the axial width of the impeller at 1.977.

But the cover plate/spindle that goes over it has a counter bore that is close to a 1/16".
This

This means only the original impeller is tall enough (axially) to protrude into that cavity. The others would leave the gap. The others are offical PCM products. I assume the first one was factory OEM installed.

I cannot find any other variation between the impellers, but I'm still stumped as to why they won't work. Are they that far out of spec? What else is left?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:45pm
There are several O-rings on this pump. The main one for the impeller pump housing. Three for the bolts that bolt the bearing housing and body housing together and another one for the cam bolt. Are all of these in there?
You also have a pipe plug that should have thread sealant and be installed.

See page 38 of the PCM manual for exploded view.

You're obviously sucking air someplace on the pump itself and you have to find out where you're missing a seal at. I have no idea what weep hole you speak of. I don't think you should have any holes in it.

Eddie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 10:04am
Do you have any pics of your pump?

On the old ones, like most of us have, the pumps are designed to work with either rotation engine, but if you orient the pump incorrectly for your rotation engine, it won't pull. Don't know if that could possibly apply here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithOnline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2014 at 12:00am
Has anyone had an experience with the RWP on a close cooled PCM engine (mine is 06) going bad, regardless of the impeller. I've put two impellers in, and pulled everything off the intake side and I'm running a hose straight to a bucket, and it won't pull a prime. It has a cam in there that is removable, and there is a O-ring, and they seem good. I've even blocked the weep hole on the body, and it won't pull a prime. I'm not sure how much suction this should have, but I recall on a I/O that I had, it would suck a garden hose flat. I'd think the same should occur here with a good pump. Our model number is RA057032.

I found this notice. The part I bought from nautiqueparts is the one recommended, but I weighed it and it's lighter than the original (8 year old one). I put the old one back in, and it doesn't seem to work either. I replaced it with a new one about a month back, and it worked for while, but now it's not.

http://dealer.pcmengines.com/assets/securefiles/serviceupdates/SUP2013-02-Aftermarket-Impeller-Notice.pdf

I'm stumped to figure out what is wrong. A new pump is $577 and I can't imagine this stainless steel pump is bad.

Any help is appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic