Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Wheel Loose.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Loose.
    Posted: April-23-2006 at 10:17am
I have a 98 Nautique and the steering wheel is loose, and so is the throttle how do I tighten these. Also does th eignition key open the gas tank?

Thank You
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2006 at 12:08pm

You'll need to be more specfic as to what you mean by loose. Is the steering sloppy when you turn the wheel? Does the whole helm unit seem loose, etc. Same with the throttle, when you say loose, exactly what do you mean.

Gas cap - If you have a locking gas cap, that is unusual. On most of these boats, the gas cap is really just a threaded plug which screws into the gas fill line. It has a large slot machined into the top of cap, or sometimes, just two holes drilled into it. There is usually a special "key" which is a flat bar with two prongs protruding. If yours is missing, you can usually use a screw driver short term, and can buy a new key at any marine supply store. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2006 at 12:35pm
The steering wheel wiggles up and down like it is loose. Same with the throttle it wiggles around. The whole unit does seem loose.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2006 at 2:36pm
There should be four bolts holding the helm unit to the dash. I believe you will need to loosen the thumb screws which anchor the upholstered pod. Pull the poda back slightly out of the way. Now pull back the rubber which covers the steering column so you can access the nuts. You should be able to get a wrench on both sides to tighten up the helm.

I'm not familiar with how the throttle unit is secured. Perhaps someone else can chime in. I do suspect you will need to remove the drivers seat to get good access. If you lift up the driver's seat cushion there are four nuts to remove to get it out of your way. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:21am
Are you sure its not just the play in the tilt wheel?Mine has a bit of up and down to it but its the normal slop in the tilt wheel assembly.

On the throttle,wiggle it and observe where the movement is.If its the handle there is a small allen set screw in the bottom.if its the whole assembly 4 nuts on the back reach under gunnel and feel for them I believe they are 7/16ths.

Good luck Munday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:26am
The wheel moves quite a bit up and down. The throttle wiggles side to side. Also with the gas guage when does it star treading after the boat is started. When I turn my ignition on it doesn't move it is registerting below E. It iwll be a few weeks before I have the boat in the water. Also is it ok if th eblock sits empty for a few weeks? It got below zero so I drained th ewater out last night.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic