NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'86 Ski Nautique 2001 Surf Gate

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 12:33pm
Post pics either way!

Nothing revolutionary about surfing behind a boat. It has been around for about 50 years. If you are looking for low pressure and impact stay on the dock. No risk = no reward.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 1:27pm
Gotta say, I don't understand all the hating on surfing. As Steve K explained, when the water gets really choppy you can still surf, and if the kids will enjoy surfing at those times, it's just another use of the boat. It's not about low pressure and impact--my son is a 6' 5" wide receiver who goes over the middle all the time. He's been wakeboarding and slaloming since he was 7 or 8 years old. He doesn't feel that his manhood is threatened by surfing. My daughter prefers to slalom, but also wakeboards and trick skis. She's got nothing against surfing, either. Maybe they're just younger and not as cynical as some of the old "experts" on here.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 2:09pm
I suppose I'm being harsh. I appreciate a good surfer (when they aren't trashing the water for anyone else). I'm just not for it, where as tubing I'm definitely against. My own interests or abilities have no bearing on that stance either.
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 2:14pm
Surfing is fine if they would stay the F...! out of our coves where we pull! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you don't have to have smooth water to surf.. come on people learn the rules of the lake or stay home! Sorry that was my vent for the day : )
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 10:35pm
Can't argue with that, Joey!

Kevin, I don't like tubing, either. But some people love it. I don't get it, really. I guess the kamikaze banzai dual tubing might be fun if I was still young and stupid. It doesn't take any effort to learn how to do it, so it's fine for some people who don't boat much. When I was a little kid we tubed on those old black tractor tire tubes with the big metal Schrader valve tube in the middle--talk about stupidly dangerous. As soon as I could ski, I don't think I ever went back on a tube. But we did all sorts of stupid stuff, like starting off the dock on a slalom ski with a 100 ft rope just to flip off the lake cop who bitched that 75 ft was too close, skiing into the dock to grab the pole and swing up onto the dock without getting wet, skiing onto the beach and jumping out of the ski (faceplanted that one once), skiing in really shallow water and getting arms stuck in the mud then praying the boat will arrive before you run out of breath--young and stupid. So now I try to teach my kids to not be as stupid as I was. That doesn't take much, really.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 3:36am
Testing delayed due to leaking carb fuel inlet, arghhhhhh.
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2014 at 11:11am
Boardersdad and Thaddeus - Very impressed with what you guys are doing. I'd like to build something too. Can you guys post pics/ plans/ dimensions of what you have done for your setups? Also, since Boardersdad is pushing his design a little further out into the flow, maybe I'll try something inbetween the two?

camspruill@yahoo.com

Great stuff guys!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2014 at 10:43pm
Sure, give me a few days. Football games this time of year. It's also in the 40's here, so I've been doing indoor stuff.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2014 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

Sure, give me a few days. Football games this time of year. It's also in the 40's here, so I've been doing indoor stuff.

85 degrees now at 10 pm in Atlanta. We'really just getting into the best time of the year here. Bimini free boating from now until Thanksgiving.                                                                          
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 2:14am
Boardersdad,

I had the same problem. Is it leaking from the fitting where the fuel line attaches to the carb? Are you running the in-flexible fuel line that is more like a brake line? If so, lots of times the line itself gets flared out under the brass fitting and it cannot seat properly. It probably just needs to be replaced. You can remove the fuel line and take it into autozone or napa and they will cut another piece to length and put the correct bends in it. Good luck with the repair.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2014 at 2:18am
Sorry, should've given you the link.

carb leak thread
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

When I was a little kid we tubed on those old black tractor tire tubes with the big metal Schrader valve tube in the middle--talk about stupidly dangerous.

Same here, and that Schrader valve had a rectangular metal base with pointed ends, not sure why we never got cut. Seemed like every time we popped a tube the next one we got was bigger, from a skidder or something like that.

That's why I'm not a tubing hater, or any other water activity for that matter. We used to ski, then drop the skis at the dock and take the tube out, see who could stay on. We only had 40 and 50 HP outboard boats in our mid teens, and it was a lot of fun.

I see surfing the same way. I don't plan to get up at 5:30 am to surf, that's skiing time. But, on a hot afternoon with choppy water, why not be in the boat with a bunch of people with smiles on their faces, rather than in a lawn chair.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
pfelgner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfelgner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 9:47pm
Hey Guys been gonna do this for a few years and never got around to it to my Martinique which I didn't mind weighting out. Sold now have a BFN and don't want to weight it out that much. Did you ever get out and get more pictures. Pat
88 Martinique BR
87 BFN 2001
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 11:40am
any further dev on this, did you get a good working option?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 2:21am
Can't we all just get some foils.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Can't we all just get some foils.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 2:48am
Not yet. We only get three months of decent weather here, and so far it's rained or has been cold. Plus my workload has been ridiculous for months. And little things, like my alternator went on my truck today... tension pulley on my wife's a week ago... my daughter's door handle linkage broke inside the door... tire trouble with one of the boat trailers... I need to retire just so I have time to fart around with all this stuff!
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 1:04am
Hi, brand new poster but have been following tons of topics on here since I picked up my '89 nautique 2001 a few years back, especially this one. I made up a pretty simple gate with things I had around the shop and it works like a charm, in fact I'm almost amazed with how effective it is even without trying much fine tuning. My gate mounts with two clamps but both tucked away almost under the rub rail near the transom, I felt completely safe with the clamps positioned as they were, but I will trim down the clamp posts so they don't stick up so high and maybe fit something over top to ensure there are no jabby metal bits to snag my anything on.
The gate is 24" long, 9" tall and matches the angle of the boat hull at about 8 degrees off of straight vertical. I used another plastic piece that is 9" by 14" in a T to clamp the gate to the swim platform, it is mounted 5 1/2" inches up from the bottom of the gate piece to match the hull at the side of the boat. I used a piece of pressure treated lumber ripped at the 8 degree angle to mount the two together and to be sure it floats (which it does) so it doesn't drop to the bottom of the lake while I'm switching sides (which takes about 20 seconds)   The material I used is 5/8" thick and is similar to cutting board material (HDPE) and was plenty stiff enough.
I ran with two 350# sacs on either side of the doghouse, a 550# in front of the back seat and a 225# sac in the bow, a 130# driver and a 150# passenger on the rear seat of the side of the surfer and the wave was completely surfable for my 230# self on an inland surfer red rocket (pretty big board). I found the wave best at a pretty slow 9 mph for the starboard (goofy foot) side and that an increase to 10.5 made the port (regular foot) side clean enough for my 150# buddy to ride on a ronix cortez 5'4" board.
The boat was obviously over marked capacity but felt completely safe, especially compared to the lean we used to put on it to get a wave we couldn't surf ropeless with. We generally only surf on days there is no flat water to be had on the lake (drag lake) and this makes a great option without any significant investment to have a bit of fun mid afternoon when the water isn't great..
will have pics up soon...

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 2:00am
motorheadskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 2:08am
I have built 5 or 6 now...   every time I change the size or angle or whatever...   Had a killer wake today!   my plywood is 13 inches by 29 inches.   i put about 5 degrees turned out and the upright is sitting at about 75 degrees

The big turning point of my wake was going from straight up and down (90 degree angle) to turning it out to 75 ish...   gonna try a longer piece of plywood later this week... and want to try turning out the angle even more... but right now this is a real fun wave!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 11:13am
I have been searching and researching so many different set ups... I build this one because I am able to take it apart and tweak it to different angles and sizes in about 10 min. Like I said I have taken out a bunch so far... and this one has been best.   Here is a link to a video a friend shot yesterday. Last year was my first year with a boat and I just bought this one a couple weeks ago so i am still learning a lot.   Exited to have found a place with other 2001 owners!

https://youtu.be/MiDE9DEy01A

I will keep posting as I experiment with different angles... Once I have it perfect I will be making a much nicer set up but this is what works for now... I have 3 built right now so I can go out and try 3 different angles and sizes each time I go out.
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 2:16pm
Motorhead, what have you been running for ballast?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 12:42am
I have a 35 gallon trash can on each side in the back corners about 3/4 full... i can fill more if I have more people up front but with just 2 other people it won't plane out... I have a 540 bag in between and I have an 800 on either side of the motor... they are not full since they are squeezed in there.. you can see them in the video also...   I also have 2 batteries and they are mounted far forward in the bow... I do think a bit more bow weight would help since as soon as someone moves to the back the wake washes out and my pocket shrinks...   but you can see in the video I can get way out there and come back... I will get some better video soon and keep ya posted as to how the next set up works... it is still a work in progress but wanted to show my results so others could use them and progress .

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:00am
Holy &$#@, well over 2,000 lbs. but what really surprises me is how much you have in the stern half of the boat, nearly all your weight there. I don't know much about weighting boats for surfing, but seems like when I've seen that much weight in a boat there's a few hundred in the ski locker and maybe 300 in the bow. I'm really surprised you don't sink a gunwale.

Just wanted to add, I'm not criticizing, just commenting!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:51am
Please get rid of the ski rope.

It will take a finger off when it wraps around your hand in a fall. .

Get a 1 inch diameter nylon rope & put knots in it for hand holds.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 5:28pm
Last season was my first time owning a boat... And I just got this one in April... Just learning...   I will get different rope next trip.   I don't have a ski locker and not much weight up front thinking I need more.
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by motorheadskier motorheadskier wrote:

I have a 35 gallon trash can on each side in the back corners about 3/4 full... i can fill more if I have more people up front but with just 2 other people it won't plane out... I have a 540 bag in between and I have an 800 on either side of the motor... they are not full since they are squeezed in there.. you can see them in the video also...   I also have 2 batteries and they are mounted far forward in the bow... I do think a bit more bow weight would help since as soon as someone moves to the back the wake washes out and my pocket shrinks...   but you can see in the video I can get way out there and come back... I will get some better video soon and keep ya posted as to how the next set up works... it is still a work in progress but wanted to show my results so others could use them and progress .

Not a hater, actually, I love the idea behind the concept - but with only a 1110lb load rating from the USCG, that's a DNR ticket or worse just wait'in to happen.
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 6:48pm
Pretty much anyone that is boarding or surfing a boat not originally made for ballast is exceeding the USCG rating. My 21' Sport has I think a 1,250 lb. rating, and when we wakeboard we put a pair of 400# bags on either side of the doghouse. That 800, plus a driver and spotter and misc. gear puts us right at or over the limit. Add any additional weight as many boarders, and all surfers, do, or another person or two, and you're going to be well over. Just a fact of life if you make your boat work for the sport rather than go buy a purpose built boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 10:22pm
Police patrol the small lake we go to all the time... have even said hello a few times...   They have seen me out there at least 3 times up close and haven't said anything...   Let ya know if that changes.   
Thaddeus116 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:07am
Got the adjustable aluminum surf gate made and assembled. Gonna try to get it tested this weekend. She's just tossed together right now... gotta get stuff tightened up but had to make a video.

This is what she looks like
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic