NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'86 Ski Nautique 2001 Surf Gate

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:31am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

.... up on the surfboard with big smiles on their face.

So Thaddeus keep on innovating, I am an avid barefooter and slalom skier, but because I like to use my boat weekends and I only have access to public water littered with crazy's, surfing is a good activity for me AND way better then tubing. Anything that makes it easier, more consistent and can reduce the ridiculous amount of ballast I have to load into the boat is a GOOD thing.

Was just going back through this thread, I believe this might have been my last post before my accident (a little freaky...). I am no longer a barefooter or a slalom skier, hoping that in a year or two, I can at least surf. So if you figure this out, I will probably replicate your design. It is simple, removable and looks good. Can't wait to see the video of it in action. Keep at it!
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:38am
Cool thread.... Surfing isn't exactly my thing but my knees and femoral nail want me to consider it. I've been watching a lot of these old school boat with surf gate threads. Keep up the good work.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:55am
Originally posted by motorheadskier motorheadskier wrote:

Police patrol the small lake we go to all the time... have even said hello a few times...   They have seen me out there at least 3 times up close and haven't said anything...   Let ya know if that changes.   

Here is the requisite old fart post. I tend to be a bit of a safety Nazi out on the water. I've seen too many accidents, close calls injuries and even a death not to be. Sadly, I don't think most safety patrols know what to look for. We have a new one on our lake. All he is concerned with is registration stickers and generating literally NO WAKE in the no wake zone. He stopped my son and about 20 other people his first or second day on the job for creating a wake. My son was literally idling. Meanwhile they ignore overloaded boats, clearly insufficient numbers of life jackets, idiot tube drivers corkscrewing around the lake watching the tuber and not where they are going, people riding on back decks.....

Some rules are just rules and can be a pain, others are not only rules but actually a good idea. The other day I was on pulling a friend. There was another guy out pulling a wake boarder with no observer. The rider fell, but the driver never noticed. I kept pointing back to where the rider should have been but the driver would just wave and smile and kept driving along. He finally caught on.

Obviously a boat that weighted down is at risk of swamping. Seems like a pretty big risk just to surf ("If surfing were any harder, they'd call it tubing")

]

all that being said.....enjoy, if you aren't hurting anyone and you are having fun, go for it, and 2 - I do applaud the creativity and ingenuity you guys are showing.
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:14pm
Have you guys seen Thaddeus' new video on youtube? This looks like the best design I've seen yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWjWO1-zBjo
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 10:46pm
Luv the 1st and 3rd pic Larry!

I would think that the Ultimate Surf Boat would be a 36ft or + cabin cruiser. You could prepare a lovely dinner, surf and have a potty all from the same vessel.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 11:25pm
Betcha #1's daily driver is a low rider. ....

And they all seem so casual about it.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 1:05am
I have been riding on a surf board with very little ballast (400lbs),    No way I can let go of the rope so it ain't surfing.

Not sure what to call it, but my body doesn't hurt afterwards.

I'll try making a gate to see if it helps.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 11:37am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I'll try making a gate to see if it helps.

Chris, I was thinking the same thing. As I've read this thread I was never thinking of making one myself, but with the success of some of these rigs I might try it out, would be nice to not have to add the 2,000 lbs.!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Thaddeus116 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2015 at 11:53am
If you guys find a way to surf it with less than 2,000lbs PLEASE share your set up!

My gate shapes the wake great even with no weight... but without the weight the wake is just mush and not surfable (for adults anyways... I bet kids could jam on it )
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 3:10pm
From what we've discovered a bigger board makes a huge difference when it comes to surfing smaller wakes like ours, last year we bought a ronix cortez 4'8" and neither my wife or I could go without the rope, we picked up a bigger board - 5'6" and we could both ride without any trouble. I'm a pretty big tall dude at about 225 lbs we can ride ropeless with under 1700 lbs - ballast and people included
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 11:59pm
If you look at the 2001's hull at the transom, you see our these boats have a built-in wedge (circled in red below) design. At slower speeds, usually 18-24mph, this creates a real nice wake. At slalom speeds, the wake flattens out to produce the nice table we all love. This is why the 2001's are a pretty good multi-purpose boat.

So unless you are out surfing with linebackers, you can usually add some ballast (400lbs seems about perfect) to help deepen the pocket but still stay well within the safe load weight.

Jeff's a 100% spot on - a longer board will definitely help. With a longer board you're placing a larger surface in the pocket - basically distributing more surface tension over a larger area.

I bet someone (handier then me ) could easily fab up a pulley operated hydraulic surfgate using a small pump running off the engine. Getting the overall shape right would probably require a little trial and error, but that's half the fun.       

'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
motorheadskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 11:20am
got one built for both sides now...   we are using a 48" hyperlite

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 11:47am
She looks like she's listing quite a bit... Where's the water in relation to the rub rail when you're underway???

get some video up!
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Larry, any idea where this pic was taken??

Sure looks like right off our beach (Holiday Point) on Candlewood???
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:07pm
I didn't, because it is just a google pic, so I checked back and ding ding ding, we have a winner.

http://www.newstimes.com/policereports/article/18-year-old-pulled-from-Candlewood-Lake-581827.php
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Thaddeus116 Thaddeus116 wrote:

She looks like she's listing quite a bit... Where's the water in relation to the rub rail when you're underway???

get some video up!

Judging from the angle of the wake from the transom, it appears to be that the boat was in a left hand turn then turned right. These would be normal conditions where you'd see a bit of a list.

+1 to the need for video - that'd be helpful to judge the wake size, shape, and angle in relation to the boat's travel.
'87 SN 2001

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by xarmypilot xarmypilot wrote:

Judging from the angle of the wake from the transom, it appears to be that the boat was in a left hand turn then turned right. These would be normal conditions where you'd see a bit of a list.

Spot On! I missed that.
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:53am
Last night...

Less people in the boat... smaller wave... still has a good pocket

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 10:56am
friends edit

one of my friends shot this a couple weeks ago... you can see how far away you can get
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 11:17am
Nice job! Those are some pretty tasty waves you guys have going there, lots of room for shredding.

I'm curious, how long is the board you're buddy's riding? Is it 160+ cm ?
'87 SN 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 12:04am
Its a 4' I don't know what that breaks down to in cm?   48 inches its pretty short my buddy can't ride it I think he is too heavy.   but I love it.   I am about 170 lbs and I have a couple other friends that ride behind the boat that love it and weigh anywhere from 150 to 180.   
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 11:25am
Originally posted by motorheadskier motorheadskier wrote:

Its a 4' I don't know what that breaks down to in cm?   48 inches its pretty short my buddy can't ride it I think he is too heavy.   but I love it.   I am about 170 lbs and I have a couple other friends that ride behind the boat that love it and weigh anywhere from 150 to 180.   

Don't be afraid to go bigger - your board size will be just as important as the size and shape of the wake.

Bigger boards 5' and up will have more surface area, more "float", and generate speed more easily. This makes them a great option for bigger riders and riders who are riding behind a smaller wake. Plus the increased float also makes them a great option for beginners.

Smaller wakesurf boards under 5' are great for advanced riders and lightweight riders. These smaller boards are easier to maneuver and air out of the wave, making them the board of choice for most advanced riders. These boards don't offer as much surface area as bigger boards, so they usually require a larger wave with more push.
'87 SN 2001

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:41pm
I havent had much of desire to surf behind my boats but i[ve been following this thread a bit because alot of my friends talk about it. I'm surprised noone here has mentioned or tried the low pro style trim tabs. seems like they would do the same as the newer nautique gates are. (the slid out style)
but its would be a complete bolt on system, low profile and from what i can gather it would accomplish the same thing as this design would.

I installed these on a 37 Duffy with my captain a couple years ago and it made a world of difference and they are a nice piece.
We are usually loaded up with 3000# of ice another 600# of bait 500 gals of #2 under the deck and with a 100Gal fuel bladder on the back deck for lack of anyplace else to put it. I could have just said we were heavy but now you get the idea of how heavy. On our steam out she would sit real low in the back and as soon as we installed these tabs (2 per side) we would run them on the way out and the bow would sit lower and we went from 20-21 gallons an hour steam down to 19. point is they work amazing and don't need as much purchase on the hull as a lot of the designs ive seen.
We've run these for 3-4 seasons now and we run them fully extended at 19 knts for 8-10 hours at a time. I wouldBe inclined to mount these to my nautique before i went building some big offensive gate that i had to lug around.(no offense to those who have)

here is a short version of them(ours are the 18" ones)

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Penta/Parts%20brochures/QL%20-%20Boat%20Trim%20System%20-%20Eng.pdf
The only thing that is extrememly important when mounting these things is they have to be mounted on a FLAT suface. We glassed in a piece of FRP bolted to some angle iron to keep the surface flat while the epoxy set.
Would like to see someone try a set of these. I bet they work.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 12:13am
The Nautique surf system definitely looks pretty sweet, there is a forum out there where an air nautique 220 has been outfit with that type of system using a couple actuators, if I remember correctly he had made up a bunch of 'plates' of different sizes, shapes and depths to see which worked best..   That being said adding trim tabs is a completely different ball game than the d.i.y. style gates most of us have made with materials we had lying around, even Thaddeus' sweet system is pretty much non invasive and doesn't involve any serious modifications to the hull like glassing any extras in. These also allow for plenty of room for experimentation since many 2001 owners have discovered that even fairly slight changes in weighting and setup can make a huge difference on the wake shape,,
just my 2 cents,
great to see all these setups!
p.s. I recently made up a longer gate out of aluminum @ 28" x 12" and found that it made minimal difference over my original 24"x 9" piece,, a slight change in angle had more effect it seemed than the extra length, might try a shorter 20" gate and play with the pitch a bit like motorheads setup this weekend,
cheers!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 1:04pm
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2015 at 3:53am
Thats essentially a trim tab with an adjustable tab on it, doing about the same thing the volvo tabs do, but the difference i see is the volvo ones are 100% less offensive in my eyes sitting on the transom than any concoction I have seen built, to date.
i'm sure they would require someone to pony up and do some R&D but theres no real evidence saying they won't do what all these other "tabs" do.
I bet either, one large one on either side or two strategically placed smaller ones would attain the same results, and not require such a massive piston setup.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2015 at 11:08pm

finally got some footage of it in action,,, about 1800 lbs including ballast and people, definitely over marked capacity but still felt stable and safe,'89 ski nautique 2001 homebrew surfgate
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2015 at 12:16am
That is awesome! Are you selling them? Would love to buy one if you are!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2015 at 1:55am
Pretty impressive wake for a 2001! Nice work on the design.

I hate to be the guy mentioning safety stuff, but I'd like to see that edge and corner of the aluminum plate covered with something. Maybe cut a slot in some PVC pipe and push it onto the edge. It might seem unlikely but if anyone hit that corner there would be a lot of stitches involved.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2015 at 9:00am
'63 - you're absolutely right, that thing will definitely leave some damage as is... I've got a grey pool noodle sliced and fixed to the top of it and slotted tennis balls on the clamp ends,
Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic