NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'86 Ski Nautique 2001 Surf Gate

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Thaddeus116 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2015 at 3:49pm
Terrible Quality Video... But this is my set up as of last night with my Aluminum Surfgate.

HD Video to come when I get home....

UPDATED (HD VIDEO NOW)

86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2015 at 8:40pm
I give in - Where was that camera mounted?

Way cool wake, esp for port side.

BTW, a thick rope is much safer than a ski rope for surfing.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2015 at 11:55pm
I can't view the video, just coming up as a blank box for me. Could you post a link?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
motorheadskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 1:53am
Nice wave your getting pretty far back! I moved my big bags more forward and am able to ride further out...   Having too much fun haven't messed with a new angle but I did get 2 newbies up 2 nights ago on my short board without much trouble...   Gonna make a better surfgate this winter...   Till then I will try to film some waves
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 2:01am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I give in - Where was that camera mounted?

Way cool wake, esp for port side.

BTW, a thick rope is much safer than a ski rope for surfing.

I have a GoPro mounted on a 4ft PCV Pipe in my right hand.

I totally agree, I'll switch to a different rope.
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 2:03am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I can't view the video, just coming up as a blank box for me. Could you post a link?

UPDATE HD VIDEO NOW

Still low quality. I'll upload 1080p version ASAP
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 10:19am
Thanks for the link. That's an impressive wake for a 2001!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 1:32pm
ANOTHER VIEW

Gets a shot of the gate in there. Might even be able to take her down flush with the swim deck!!

Here's the link also WakeSurf the 2001 (2)

86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
TheRinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 3:15pm
Nice looking port side wave for sure!   I've been having a hell of a time getting the wave to clean up on that side for regular foot riders, speeding up to about 11mph (I ride at 9 for goofy side and it is nearly perfectly clean) helps but by then the wave size really starts to dissipate,, tried a little steeper angle on the gate and that seems to make a bit of a difference too,, If I remember correctly you (thaddeus) had raised your swim platform a bit, did that make a difference? any other tips for getting rid of the wash on the port side wave?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2015 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by TheRinger TheRinger wrote:

Nice looking port side wave for sure!   I've been having a hell of a time getting the wave to clean up on that side for regular foot riders, speeding up to about 11mph (I ride at 9 for goofy side and it is nearly perfectly clean) helps but by then the wave size really starts to dissipate,, tried a little steeper angle on the gate and that seems to make a bit of a difference too,, If I remember correctly you (thaddeus) had raised your swim platform a bit, did that make a difference? any other tips for getting rid of the wash on the port side wave?

We have been riding between 10.5-11 mph dependent on how many people are along for the ride. With the boat plowing as much as it does there was a lot of drag on the swim deck creating upward pressure on the bottom. It had so much pressure in fact it actually pulled the bottom screw out of the mounting bracket about a 1/4 inch. Which made me decide to raise the deck 3 inches with aluminum I-beam.

I also rearranged the weight in the boat which helped a ton! Here's my current Port Surf Setup
(The 150lbs in the back seat is used if there's only the driver in the boat otherwise we just sit a body back there.)

That's all I've done to surf the port.. Hopefully that helps ya... try using your 2 800lbs bags and that 1 540lbs bag to match the layout I'm running?????
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2015 at 3:09pm
Working on plans for the surf gate... starting with the hinge plate.

86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2015 at 10:40pm
Damn, thats a lot of ballast for that boat. I had about 2000#s in my SAN (stock tanks+bags) and it was pretty sketchy to drive while still being close to max capacity.

Cool project but that weight looks downright dangerous. Stay safe.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2015 at 1:58pm
Got the Starboard Gate Made Gonna test her out tonight!
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
cspruill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cspruill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 1:24pm
How did it go Thaddeus?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2015 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by cspruill cspruill wrote:

How did it go Thaddeus?

Wow! The Starboard side wave cleans up SO much nicer. And has slightly better push. It's SO weird surfing heel side edge. There is certainly a noticeable difference. I'll get gate and hinge plate measurements up here as soon as I can. Also just FYI, this build only ran me about $200. And $90 of it was for the TIG welding! I'm also working on a new weight configuration and auto-ballast... Hopefully gonna free up some much needed space in the boat.
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
O.L.DBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O.L.DBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 12:42am
Are you sure that gate doesn't put a massive amount of torque on the swim deck? Looking at my 88 2001 there's not much holding the platform to the hull. It wouldn't be very hard to triangulate the platform brackets for the side load. I want to surf mine bad but I don't have a surf board yet. Is the surf night and day from no gate to gate? I put an acme 912 prop on my boat this summer what prop are you guys with gates running?

By the way, love what you've done with those gates very cool. Can't wait to surf the SN 2001!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2015 at 2:55am
I have 150 hours on my boat so far this season I bet over half with the gate... Haven't had a problem yet...   Its a game changer!!!   Tons of people at my local lake have seen it and are building them for their boats.   Still waiting for my friend to edit some video but I did spin a 360 behind my boat this weekend! And we braided a new safer rope... Hard to toss back to boat so now I just toss to other side of wake

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorheadskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 8:54pm

Windy day blew out my wave but here is the new rope
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 4:36pm
To anyone interested I have been working on plans for the Hinge Plate and Surf Gate. The Hinge Plate Plan looks to be done. If you are Interested PM me and I'll send you the plans ASAP!

I'm currently working on and testing a less dangerous more aesthetic looking Surf Gate. Trying to make this thing as factory looking as physically possible without sacrificing function. When that's passed the test I'll make the Surf Gate Plans and Post again.

ALSO I'm sick of ballast bags... I'm almost always over weight capacity, takes 10 mins to fill/drain, and severely limits the space for passengers and/or gear. I'm designing a Wedge modeled after Malibu's design... Plan is hard tank in front and Wedge in the back. If I can do it successfully there will be plans up for that too.

Oss!

Thaddeus
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2015 at 5:02am
wedge has always intrigued me, just worried about the force on the hull pulling the boat down.

thought this could be a game change for the 2001 wake/surf scene if it worked.

more space on deck :D
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2015 at 11:46am
I'm enjoying this thread, I'm not a surfer currently, but like the way you guys have gone about your projects.

In looking at your design of the surf gate, the following occurred to me, sorry if you've discussed it before. Could the entire mechanism be incorporated into the swim platform with no connection to the hull? My thought is even if you had to beef up the platform, and maybe provide a more robust platform mounting plate on the transom, that way you could have the entire mechanism removable with 2 pins. Want to surf, put the surf platform on. Want to ski or cruise, put a spare "normal" platform on.

Just a thought.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2015 at 8:38pm
Lots of force involved in pushing around that much water. If using the platform brackets, you might want to reinforce their mounting areas in the hull.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
joshjanae View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joshjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 2:43am
I have enjoyed this thread. I like your wedge idea a lot. I found a great link that shows a wedge on an older malibu. It has some decent diagrams near the end of the thread that might be of interest to anybody looking to implement this design.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26752-homemade-floating-wedge-for-much-older-malibu-87-sunsetter/page-2
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 9:42am
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 3:17pm
Google the ronix eight.3. It is a nylon triangle you Velcro to the side of the boat.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 12:25am
Ronix Wakesurf Shaper

"Pre-Order Now... Ships January 2016". $600. Info from Wakemakers.com.

Video
Sam_lucero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam_lucero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2016 at 10:26pm
Any updates on the surfgate?
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 12:40am
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2016 at 3:12am
Have you seen the "suck gate" thread?

Suck Gate
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 3:57pm
Those suction cup gates are WAY AWESOME!!! That's a dang good idea!! Don't waste time building something like mine! Build or buy the cup style gate! It'd be awesome if the thing would float in case it pops off or something while underway.
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic