NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Flywheel?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
78skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Flywheel?
    Posted: August-08-2014 at 5:39pm
Hey folks, been a long while since I posted here. After a total overhaul in 2005-07, my 1978 Ski Nautuqe (351 Commander) as been running pretty solid for the most part since then, until now. It all began at the start of the spring, I went to start the motor, and after just a few attempts, the starter would clearly engage and spin, but (apparently) no contact was made with the fly wheel because the motor would not turn over, just the starter (spinning). I figured I had blown the teeth of the starter, and needed a rebuild. So I removed the starter and brought it in for a rebuild (First week of July). The guy at the auto-electric store suggested I try a new, less expensive gear reduction starter (100 bucks) instead of having my 3 year old starter rebuilt for 150. I took him up on the suggestion, and the gear reduction starter worked for about 3 weeks, but each time I hit the starter, I heard a little grinding sound for a half of a second after the motor was started, it sounded like the starter was remaining engaged for that extra half second. I figured it wasn't working right, but it was starting the boat for a little while. Eventually, after a few weeks (maybe a dozen or 20 starts), the starter made the same sound, apparently spinning, but not turning the motor over. So I called the guy up at the starter/auto electric store and told him of the grinding sound and that it didn't work any longer, and he was cool enough to rebuild my original starter at no extra cost. That was 2 weeks ago. Today, after putting on a new fuel pump, I wanted to test it out and see if I could get my carburetor dialed in better. So I put her in the pond in my back yard, and now the starter is just spinning again, apparently not engaging on the flywheel.

The guy at the Auto electric store told me that he thought there was an issue with the fly wheel, because of the way the starter had been marked up. He showed me a round part, near the center of the starter, and pointed out that it was out of round. He suggested that something was somehow pushing the starter out of round, and that I should check my fly wheel. Well that's kind of beyond my mechanical knowledge but I can figure it out with some guidance I'm sure. I have read things that suggest the fly wheel needs to be "re-toothed" by removing it and having a machinist remove the ring around it with teeth and putting a new one on it.. But I would really like some feedback about what you guys feel the problem is. Am I on the right track?
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 6:31pm
I have heard you can remove the ring and flip it over.
Lakedog55
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 7:15pm
Thanks for the tip, anyone got instructions on removal?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 7:55pm
I would only go through that much work only if I could not find a new ring gear. Get it to the spot where it does not engage again pull the starter and look in at the teeth on the flywheel and see if their chewed up or missing and go from there. Engines have a habit of stopping in the same places due to the firing order and compression strokes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 8:19pm
I can't seem to get the motor to budge manually, but I have only tried by hand. Maybe I will try to advance it with some sort of leverage on the main shaft pully?? What is a good way to do that? When I try to turn the belts, nothing moves really. The belts seem to slack on one end, that's all..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 8:20pm
You DON'T have a bad fly wheel. You have a bad ring gear!!!!! The ring gear is simply heated with a torch to expand coming off or going on!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by 78skinautique 78skinautique wrote:

I can't seem to get the motor to budge manually, but I have only tried by hand. Maybe I will try to advance it with some sort of leverage on the main shaft pully?? What is a good way to do that? When I try to turn the belts, nothing moves really. The belts seem to slack on one end, that's all..

A socket and ratchet/breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt should easily do the trick.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2014 at 8:49pm
New ring gear is only $20 at any auto parts store... 157 tooth for a 6cyl mid 60's manual tranny (ford) mustang is the easiest cross reference, should be good for any marine ford Windsor.. You need a serious torch for the install, my little map gas couldn't hack it, all the YouTube guys had oxy-acetylene. Ended up baking it in the oven and it still didn't slip on nicely, but still a DIY if you're confident. Otherwise take the flywheel to a shop. Popping the old gear of was not hard at all (with the small torch). You'll need an impact gun to get the flywheel off.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the info on finding one using a 6 cyl manual trans mustang! I finally got the flywheel off last night! Counted them 2 times and came up to 157 both times. But the auto stores I am calling keep telling me that their computers are calling for either a 164 tooth or 180 tooth... I will call and ask about a 157 tooth for a mustang..
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 12:45pm
Don't listen to the parts store guys, the 157 is what you need- and you confirmed it! The mid 60's 6cyl mustang was what allowed them to find it in their system. Get the old one off to match up when you go pick it up to be safe, but this method worked fine for me.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 12:49pm
Skidim has them for 30 bucks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 12:55pm
Yeah, but that's 3 days waiting around for a ring I can get for 10 bucks less and today, not Thursday.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 78skinautique 78skinautique wrote:

Yeah, but that's 3 days waiting around for a ring I can get for 10 bucks less and today, not Thursday.

Well then go get it and quit wasting our time!!!
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 4:06pm
Heres a bunch of cross reference numbers for the 157 tooth 13.294" O.D., 12.025 I.D. ring gear.

ATP ZA-503
BIG A XG14
DORMAN 04410
NAPA 6003030
PIONEER FRG-157N
SEALED POWER 416121
FORD C2OZ6384B
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 8:21pm
I tryed oxy-Mapp with no success. Finally took it to a local engine builder to have the ring gear pressed on.

I'm not sure if it would save any significant money, but I was able to pound the old ring gear off (cold)in 45 degree increments with a punch. The engine builder only had to press the new gear on, and not remove the old (damaged).

I also bought my 158 tooth ring gear (for a mustang) from a local parts store.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2014 at 8:41pm
She's all back together and purring like a kitten. I bought the NAPA 6003030 and I just brought it to a local mechanic friend of mine. He knocked off the old ring and replaced it with the new one in 20 minutes and I was on my way back home to put it all back together. Thank you for your input everyone! Under 50 bucks for such a big job, can't beat that. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic