NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extended Pylon on 82 SN 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Pylon on 82 SN 2001
    Posted: August-15-2014 at 12:16am
I am curious will it hurt anything to put an extended Pylon on my 82 2001 because the factory Pylon has the bend in it like 4-5 inches from the floor so obviously the slip on extended Pylon won't go all the way to the floor...has anyone seen problems doing this?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 3:14am
as long as you strap it correctly around the nose and through the bow hook (read- NOT through the lifting ring on the deck!) you'll be fine.

what's your ring and finger situation? if any part of you is considering cutting that off to put a pylon on please ask for opinions here so we can admonish you. now, if you already have the SBDM (super delux boom mount) in the CCFan store (link above), then I withdraw my question.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 3:18am
Most pylons won't go down to the floor anyway, they have a pin or tow hook that stops it on top, above the bend.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 4:12am
yes i have the ring and finger on the pylon now. I will Absolutely NOT be cutting anything on my boat...hoping to pop out the roll pins and work it out of there....and no..i would not use the lifting eye, i had an extended pole on my last boat and would be using the strap to thread through the bow eye and around the nose of the boat :) I was just curious cuz my Sanger DX pylon was straight and apparently short enough for the 10ft pole to go all the way to the floor. Thanks for the input guys!! I refuse to ever put a tower on my ski boats. I want a bimini top and probably wont even do one of those just because i dont want to put holes in the boat :)
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 10:27am
Chase,

When removing the ring and finger, you need to do a search of the site for tips. I had to use a come-a-long jack over the top of the boat and slightly lift the boat off the trailer via the ring. Then take a piece of black iron water pipe from the home improvement store and rotate the ring back and forth. This is all done after you remove your roll pins. I stood on one side of the boat and my father stood on the other side and we moved the water pipe from side to side until it slid out. I pulled my ring and finger since the finger was broken. I use the super deluxe boom mount from the store and it works great with the extended pylon. Normally, a bare foot boom clamp will not fit on the extended pylon.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 10:40am
Is this on another boat? did you get the Pope's ok? Not so sure they would give permission for such mischief on such a rare boat----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 10:49am
Another option is the CCF store ring and finger saving pylon mount...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Is this on another boat? did you get the Pope's ok? Not so sure they would give permission for such mischief on such a rare boat----

Gary,

Same boat, but after the modification I had to get Lloyd's of London to once again access the crazy high value. I am storing the broken one on Keegan's Mustang. Who would of thought that the Pope family were tubers. I believe this is how the damage occurred.

So far my gas tank has not taken a dump. So all is good.

Donald
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 11:49am
The problem with removing the ring and finger (even if done properly) is that the pylon becomes useless if the extended pylon isn't installed. You need a $150 ball topper on there to regain its functionality. Better to use the sdbm since the investment is similar, that way you don't risk damaging the ring/finger during removal... They can sometimes be a real pain.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 12:20pm
I guess maybe I'll have to check out that mount you guys are talking about because I do like the ring and finger and would love to keep it on there.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

So far my gas tank has not taken a dump. So all is good.

Donald

As the purveyor of Grandma's Apple Pie,I'm sure you understand the difference between Southern and Northern spirits. Even being born and raised below the Mason-Dixon line,becoming of age in northern Illinois took it's toll since it's obviously cannot hold it's alcohol
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 12:34pm
I have a flitepipe on my '86 that mounts around the ring/finger.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by chase84 chase84 wrote:

I guess maybe I'll have to check out that mount you guys are talking about because I do like the ring and finger and would love to keep it on there.
Seems like a no brainer then
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 1:44pm
Ya it basically is a no brained except for that extra $165 bucks....I've been spending a lot of cash lately. ..and unfortunately don't have a special tree in my yard where I can get more from it :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 3:39pm
Tends to happen right after you buy a boat. Once you start hanging around the yahoos on this site it doesn't get any better with time either.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Tends to happen right after you buy a boat. Once you start hanging around the yahoos on this site it doesn't get any better with time either.

Ha ha ha. So true!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 4:34pm
It's true. The boat gets what ever the boat wants!

Anyhow, the ski ring must stay.. it is cool, shiny and retro.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 4:47pm
You should definitely do some searching for a flightpipe, basically a tall version of the SDBM and should save you a hundo or more.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:39pm
Yes the Ski Ring is most definitely staying....The extended pylon isn't a necessity right now...so I think I just might have to keep am eye out for a Flite Pipe for now. ..I've probably only got 3-4 weeks left of my boating season so I might just wait and try to hunt one down this winter.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 5:58pm
I've used both set ups... Sdbm is superior to the flite pipe for several reasons. Use the winter to save your pennies.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 6:15pm
Good to know. My buddy has a 10 ft Pole that he isn't using so maybe the SDBM is the way to go, thanks!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 6:19pm
Timmy, curious what your thoughts are.
Can say the first iteration of the FP, which I bought, the brackets where a tad short so with the boom at 12 O'clock from the pylon the gap between it and the finger made getting a rope on tough, mounted mine at 11 o'clock as a work around. Both can be used with a boom afaik.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 7:52pm
Yup, 11 or 1pm mounting, brackets were toe stubbers. Kinda clunky to put up and take down. Dot recall being that impressed with the fit/finish if the pole or cable either. Works fine but i wouldn't seek one out. Brad traded his for the n3 topper and a fly high. Sdbm is a real nice piece if you want to keep the ring and finger... I've gone that way on 2 boats.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 8:32pm
Is there a thread on how to remove the ring and finger safely? Not sure that I want to do this but I curious as I did see the N3 ball.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 8:44pm
No one has a thread on it, everything you need to know has already been posted here. Sbdm for equal money is the way to go if you value the vintage look. Removing that r&f can be painful and sometimes damaging.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 8:57pm
I absolutely value the vintage look...that's the reason I bought this boat and not a newer one :)
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 11:13pm
the ring and fingers are a pain to remove. I have removed two to have them rechromed and I completely ruined one pylon doing. The second was done with losts of pressure and heat. i still have to refinish that pylon as well. i would not risk damaging the rnf. Buy the SDBM
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 12:13am
Ouch!.....um ya I was pretty much planning on buying the sdbm but sometimes I can't curb my curiosity lol...I'm done being curious...I'm don't wanna ruin my ring and finger let alone my whole pylon.
jbb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 12:32am
There is a boat being parted out in the for sale section and the pylon is still available I believe. It had already been molested by the ring/finger removed. If you pm the guy about the pylon you will probably get it for less than the sbdm. Just change out the complete pylon then. Also search for a flight pipe. You never know what will turn up.
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 12:44am
Jbb- thanks for the heads up I might have to check into that
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic