Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extended Pylon on 82 SN 2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
jbb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 12:53am
The 87 model.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 1:46am
Originally posted by jbb jbb wrote:

Just change out the complete pylon then.
Hang on now, slow that idea down...somebody correct me because I've never done it myself, but isn't the pylon on that boat glassed into a cup in the hull? this is not a one screw swap. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to make a slalom run, pull one pylon, drop the other in and make a wakeboard run. Bad idea all around.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
chase84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chase84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 2:02am
Besides all that....I'm not gonna pay shipping on a huge chunk of aluminum....changing pylons just for the heck of it is way more work than I want to do...I'm sure I'm just going to end up with the SDBC
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 2:38am
its the right call
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 10:27am
No pylons were ever glassed in- they sit in a cup in the hull (most have a bolt here to keep it from rotating) and then it's pinched by the cradle. Loosen 4 large bolts and remove 1 small one and it should come out relatively easily- assuming the base isn't corroded to the cup. Of course, all the bolts are pretty difficult to access with the engine in, and that lower one can be a real pain to remove.

That said, if you were to go through all the trouble to swap pylons, you still have a useless pole that can't be pulled from if the extended pylon isn't installed.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 10:37am
Before you get crazy on ordering things try to get the ring finger out. I got mine out of my '85 without much of a problem then replaced the roll pins with push pins now I can take it out when ever it want.
Soak it with some good penetrating oil around the top and in the roll pins I believe I used a "little" (key word) of heat around the pylon to draw the oil in. Let it sit a while(days maybe)while reapplying oil and heat. Then I put a hammer handle (rubber)through it and just kept wiggling back and fourth being very careful not to put to much force on it that would bend it, eventually loosened up and came out.
jbb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 1:30pm
I assumed he would always use the extended pylon. Most have a tow point mounted on them down low so you can tow low or high. Changing out the pylon is not that difficult so buying an used already molested pylon for significantly less money than the other device was the idea. Change it out once and put the original in a safe deposit box or something. Then you have a pylon in your boat without the ring and finger an an original stored ready to go back in when need be. Not suggesting that you keep both on the boat and try to change out between sets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic