NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blown muffler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blown muffler
    Posted: August-17-2014 at 10:12am
Well I pulled a Quinner, no I didn't hit on a guy wearing a dress and lip stick.
When I got the '95 out of storage in late July I did my usual bucket run to make sure everything was good to go. So the next day we dropped it in the river and started to head to our ski spot. Didn't get a 1/4 mile when it started overheating. Didn,t know why so I started back to the dock when my wife noticed water coming from under the engine cover. At that point I knew exactly what happened...I forgot to hook the hose back up to the strainer.
Put the hose back on tightened the clamp and went to the dock to change the impeller.
Ran the rest of the day with no problems.
So yesterday I'm running the boat on the bucketgetting her ready for the trip to CT. when I noticed water leaking from the exhaust hose going to the muffler and a little pin hole in the side. Went to tighten the clamp and could feel the fiberglass was mush under the clamp.
So off came the muffler for inspection and this is what I found.

So out came the grinder

Found the whole side delaminated with water in between layers.

Found a pipe to fit as a mold

Some window tape and WD-40 as a release agent

Then thichened epoxy with chopped fiber strands and glass mat

Should be able to grind smooth, paint and finish it up tonight. These inverta-flo's just cant take overheat's my muffler was like new before my F--k up.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 12:26pm
Paul,
Don't forget to hook up the hose again!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
Don't forget to hook up the hose again!!

I'd bet my 401k that he won't. I remember when I was 15 my Dad and I just launched I pulled boat off trailer and was waiting for him to park when I heard water gushing I looked in the cup holder and saw the drain plug. first thought was to beach the boat as I already had 5-6 inches of water in the bilge then I came to senses and jammed the plug in and flipped the bilge pump on.

I was white as a ghost when I picked my Dad up.. he asked what happened..

1,500 launches later.. guess what is going thru my mind backing down the ramp.

Nice looking patch Paul!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 8:41pm
Nice repair.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:02am
Ok update on the finished product

The rebuilt port after removing the pipe. The globs at the bottom are factory couldn't reach them with the grinder.

I had it sanded smooth but it looked out of place compared to the rough stock look so I mixed some thickened resin and used a chip brush to put a texture on it.

Now some heat proof paint and done.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 8:37pm
Nice job!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 8:44pm
Perhaps this thread should be renamed "accepting defeat"? ;)

See you thurs Paul, looking forward to checking out the siggy!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 10:54pm
Defeat never!! We can rebuild them, we have the technology.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic