Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Beached on rocks during storm, repair checklist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beached on rocks during storm, repair checklist?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beached on rocks during storm, repair checklist?
    Posted: August-19-2014 at 3:07pm
Long story short: on the last day of my Michigan vacation, I tried to drive my 82 SN across the lake to the launch site during heavy rains and rough water and ended up being driven in to the shallow rock bottom. It was stuck about 30 min on the rocks scraping as the waves raised it up and down.

I still needed to leave after we got unstuck, so I then had to drive approx 10 min @ 2000 RPM after we got it off the rocks to the landing when the storm calmed down.

There was no opportunity to tow the boat to the landing or pull the boat out where it was on the lake. I was worried that banging against the bottom could have really F'd up my shaft alignment and caused more damage by driving it, but it was my only option at the time.

It definitely had a different tone driving it with the damaged prop, but nothing sounded too alarming.

Results of the damage after pulling the boat out:
- All 3 tracking fins are bent
- Prop is really banged up

I plan on taking the entire driveshaft assembly apart for inspection. I also will check to see if the strut is still aligned with the shaft log.

Is it hard to bend those fins back straight?
What else should I be checking for damage?

Here are some pictures of the damage and one of the type of rocks I hit.

This is actually about 6 ft deep, I was taking a picture of how clear the water was
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 3:42pm
Fox Lake Propeller in Spring Grove can fix the tracking fins if they are salvageable. Might be a good time to re-prop as what you got on there is really not worth fixing.

What lake did that happen on?? Gotta love the crystal clear water of the Michigan Lakes!!
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 3:58pm
Thanks for the tip on the fins. Yeah I definitely figured I'll be buying a new prop for next season.

It was Crystal Lake up near Sleeping Bear Dunes. Gorgeous lake, but a little too big for my preference. There were only 2 launches that were deep enough to drop a boat in to and they were on the other side of the lake from where we stayed. It wasn't a problem until you try and cross it in a storm fighting waves from the Bering Sea.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 4:14pm
I'm sure someone on here can help you with a used prop if you're looking to replace the current mangled one with a used one.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 4:34pm
What is your deductible? a new prop is probably around $410.00... each fin is around 100-150 bucks... gel coat work if needed is very expensive. Shaft alignment and tune... rudder issues...

I would get a new prop and have that one tuned for a replacement if possible.

I hate to involve insurance, but you might be looking at $2k or a lot of man hours.

Good luck!
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 4:46pm
Couple of guys on the site have fins available for sale. Leftfield engineering in Monson Mass had a full set from an 82 a week or so ago, JDD in Natick MA had 2 of them from an 87 (I've got the third for my boat). May be cheaper than getting yours straightened and definitely cheaper if you have to go new if they still have them.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:17pm
And if any of those guys above will be at Benjamins this weekend they could hand off to Alan or Kostas and have them back here in Chicagoland by Monday or Tuesday.

Been on Crystal, that's a huge lake and can get really insane during storms. If you like that area go about 20 mins further north to Glen Lake which is right at the Sleeping Bear Dune Climb, launch is good and between big glen and little glen you can typically find good water, and its also mostly sand bottom throughout.

If you do end up making a claim, include everything and anything, a claim is a claim, amount does not make a difference.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

And if any of those guys above will be at Benjamins this weekend they could hand off to Alan or Kostas and have them back here in Chicagoland by Monday or Tuesday.

JDD will be there so work it out and I'll be glad to cart them home you.
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 7:17pm
I only have liability insurance so unfortunately I'm on my own for this one.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have access to a full machine shop at work so I'm going to take a stab at straightening a fin tomorrow. If it's a failure, I'll get in contact with those guys and see about sending some paypal $$ for those extra fins.

If anyone has a decent used prop for my '82 let me know, otherwise I'll be watching the parts for sale section
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 7:26pm
OUCH!!
Js
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 7:34pm
Matt, I don't think you'll have a problem straightening those fins out. I had to do the same to mine after I bent two of them. One was worse than what you have it they didn't crack at all. I used a hydro press without heating them up and they are fine. SNObsessed (Chris) made a press using a bottle jack. Not sure what you have access to but I'd try going that route before buying new ones.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 7:36pm
Try a BFH on the fins. If not, rig up a contraption with a bottle jack and a tree. I straightened a rudder that way once, which is easier bc of its size. Tracking fin will be a lil different bc trailer will be in the way but can easily be done. Maybe jack against trailer and keep opposing side of trailer square and braced ultimately to a tree ?

Edit- Morfoot beat me to it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2014 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Try a BFH on the fins.

The BFH may get some of the bend out but what's really needed is even pressure at strategic points in a press.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2014 at 4:12am
My prop was worse than that and it only cost 120 bucks at Osbourne propellers in town here.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:37am
I have fins for a 83 SN if you still haven't fixed em.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2014 at 11:55am
Matt,
Did you ever get the tracking fins straightened? How's the shaft? Did you check it with a dial indicator aft of the strut. That's where the prop hitting would most likely bend the shaft.

+1 on the prop not being worth the repair. Look at a CNC Acme.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bufafiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bufafiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2014 at 11:50pm

A man walks into a bar one day and asks, "Does anyone here own that Rottweiler outside?""Yeah, I do!" a biker says, standing up. "What about it?""Well, I think my chihuahua just killed him...""What are you talking about?!" the biker says, disbelievingly. "How could your little runt kill my Rottweiler?""Well, it seems he got stuck in your dog's throat!"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic