Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmision Fluid Leak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmision Fluid Leak
    Posted: April-27-2006 at 1:42am
I've got fluid leaking down near the shift leaver. I pulled the shift lever but I can't figure out how to get the stud out. I assume there's an o-ring behind it that's worn out. Any suggestions?
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 10:22am
Put a few drops of Dawn in your bilge and turn on your bilge pump when no one is looking. That's what I do.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Put a few drops of Dawn in your bilge and turn on your bilge pump when no one is looking. That's what I do.

Usually I use Simple Green.
This leak is pretty bad. I have to top off the fluid after each use. Sometimes during each use.
I'm pretty sure it's coming from the shift lever stud. It might be the rear main gasket but fluid is up on the lever.
Any help?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2006 at 11:32pm
J_I_H: Gotta love your solutions! I really do live to look forward to some of your answers. Never fails to crack me up.   john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 12:45am
Jimbo, I buy Dexron III by the case - it's cheaper. And if you buy enough of it you start getting free delivery. I also have to stop and add fluid during use. I have trained several of my riders to perform the task fairly competantly. Do you get that sudden high engine speed slip when the fluid gets too low? It really blows the soot out of the cylinders. One of these days I will get my '66 in the water which will give me a chance to rebuild the tranny in the '68. Now there's an idea, you could use the tranny as an excuse to buy a "backup boat".
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 7:13am
Jimbo,
Have you downloaded the velvet-drive disassembly manual yet from the reverence section?

I had that valve off last summer, but I don't remember vividly enough to describe confidently. I think it was pretty straightforward.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Jimbo,
Have you downloaded the velvet-drive disassembly manual yet from the reverence section?

I had that valve off last summer, but I don't remember vividly enough to describe confidently. I think it was pretty straightforward.

I looked through the maunual but it wasn't much help. I must have missed the section on removing it.
I took the value cover off and the shift lever but the stud didn't seem to want to move. I thought I should ask before I took the rubber mallet to it.

J-I-H...Is that why they named it "Chocolate Bayou"?
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2006 at 5:00pm
Ok, I found it on page 24. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic