Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel pick up screen

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel pick up screen
    Posted: September-07-2014 at 2:48am
So I want to check and maybe clean the alleged existence of a fuel pick up screen in the tank.
These are two lines going into the top of the tank in the middle.
Not shown are the right side with what appears to be something similar. The left side seems to have the inlet and I guess a vent and I guess the gauge (evidenced by the wires).
Of all of these I don't know which is the actual pick up with an alleged screen. Several of the connections look like this.
So...with this picture...I have been able to loosen the large nut on the front line at the base against the tank. Then what? I don't want to irreparably rip anything apart on my discovery of how this works. If someone could chime in and suggest what to do next with this connection I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 10:16pm
This write-up should give you a better understanding. Although, it looks like yours doesn't have that aluminum assembly....
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31482
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 2:30am
Thanks for the helpful link.
No indeed I don't have that aluminum assembly.
It certainly does give me an idea of what's probably going on. I guess with that I could undo the nut, remove the hose and then maybe perhaps just unscrew the fitting out of the tank. Therein lies the risk. What if I unintentionally rip the crap out of the plastic tank simply unscrewing the fitting? What's the fitting screwing into...the plastic? Maybe something like the aluminum assembly is under the outer shell of plastic tank. Maybe it is as easy as above. Maybe the nut is just a lock nut for the fitting. I don't know. So many possibilities on this 18 year old boat that I would really not want to cause some costly damage.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2014 at 10:27am
Are you doing this as a matter of maintenance or are you having a specific issue?

The part that people more commonly remove to clean or replace is the Anti-siphon-valve, also called the check valve. The fuel line goes over the anti siphon, and the anti siphon screws into the elbow. You should be able to remove the anti siphon valve without too much calamity.

The elbow probably screws into that thing that looks like a nut, but then the nut looking this is probably screwed into plastic. I'm not sure if you'd have to remove the nut type thing if you were going to remove the pickup screen.

I'd look at the anti-siphon (check) valve first. It looks like this:
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 2:29am
It's one of many things I'm going to try to do to stop some engine stuttering, hesitating, surging while cruising and what I think to be way under-performing when dropping the throttle for a fast take off.
Using your terrific spreadsheet as a reference and other things I've come across...I'm thinking I might do plugs, wires, cap, rotor, either try to replace the hall sensor in the distributor or just replace the whole distributor, both fuel pumps, clean the pick-up, I guess maybe the anti-siphon. I don't know if I should even do the coil. Maybe some computer sensors. I don't know how old the battery is but the gauge seems to be upwards to 14 when under way. I don't know. It's all enormously frustrating.

It kind of brings up a simple question...is there a number of hours or simply years to just go ahead and do all the usual "tune-up" stuff. I haven't done all the usual ignition stuff since after I first got the boat in 2006. But I've only really put on about 120 hours in that time. Yes I know I barely use the thing. :) We have a rather short season where the boat stays and I'm just too old and fat :) to want to bother to be out there in cold water/air let alone risking overnight freezes. Of course I change the oil at the end of the season and the tranny oil every other end of season.

Whoa this is getting into tl:dr territory if not long since.

Thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 9:53am
I would say you are ready for Spark Plugs, Cap and Rotor for Sure. A new set of Spark Plug wires would be a good idea too if they've never been down.

Does your boat have the Fuel Control Cell?
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 11:56am
Yes I should've also listed the filter itself and yes it's the FCC. I did all those tune-up things after I first got the boat including the FCC fuel filter.
I just wonder about the quantity of time. Is it straight calendar time or is it operating time.
I had an hour meter in my car and was curious to see that it got to about 90 hours for about 3000 miles. So the 120 hours seems to be maybe 4000-4500 miles equivalency in a car.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:17pm
what about the tube in the fcc, is it cracked... if not I think you may need a new low pressure pump based on symptoms. Not likely an issue in the tank.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 2:38am
Sigh. Another thing to add to the list of things to try.
Thanks for the tip though.

Any other takers as to what to expect after loosening that nut? Short of having at it and maybe wrecking the tank.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 11:07am
I appreciate this thread. I was experiencing an intermittent loss of power when accelerating. Here’s a perfect example of the combination of a 20 year old boat and ethanol fuels. I pulled the gas tank and then unscrewed the check valve. As soon as I pulled it out and held it horizontally, it literally snapped. Thank goodness it didn't fall into the tank. There was even a screen in the bottom of the tube. This winter I will need to drain and fully clean the tank,.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 11:13am
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

I appreciate this thread. I was experiencing an intermittent loss of power when accelerating. Here’s a perfect example of the combination of a 20 year old boat and ethanol fuels.

Dominic,
Try posting the picture again.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 11:25am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I appreciate this thread. I was experiencing an intermittent loss of power when accelerating. Here’s a perfect example of the combination of a 20 year old boat and ethanol fuels.

Dominic,

https://imgur.com/a/IdNGu0Q
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 12:04pm

Dominic,

https://imgur.com/a/IdNGu0Q

Here's your picture:

Dominic,
Did you pull the pickup without pulling the tank forward so you had to bend the pickup out from under the deck breaking it?

BTW, it seem ethanol sure gets blamed for lots of problems!!
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I ran only ethanol free premium always because I don’t like what happens to ethanol over the winter even with stabil. Why risk it? Ethanol is junk.

I've run ethanol in everything since it's inception and haven't had one problem. It's great stuff.

Hope you’re not serious. Maybe just run straight ethanol then Pete. Great stuff!

Peter,
I'm very serious. Again, I've used it since it's inception and NO problems.

You know I hate to agree with you Pete (Brainard), it really pains me at times

But I'm feelin' real pained right now since I completely agree with your ethanol experiences all year round. And I'm being serious.

I'm talking about today's gas with 10% ethanol No issues

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 1:41pm
On the subject of alcohol in fuels, my local small engine repair guru tells all of his small engine repair customers to change their fuel to ethanol free premix for their two cycle
Engines or he won’t service them.

I’ve switched all small engines as well as boats to locally bought ethanol free fuel and while my neighbors are running into fuel issues every spring, I’ve never had an issue. If I’m going to burn through gasoline mid season, E-10 works fine. If I’m going to leave a tank filled with gasoline (or partial tank in a pinch)—I don’t mess with ethanol blended fuels. The stuff goes bad a lot quicker than ethanol free and that’s not a matter that is arguable—it’s fact. Why take a chance with storing fuel for long periods that goes bad?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 1:44pm
Special bonus; Illlinois raises its gas tax by $.19 per gallon. My trip over the border to get ethanol free fuel is much more financially rewarding now too! It’s about .30 a gallon more for ethanol free premium fuel than regular unleaded E10 closer to home.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 1:50pm
I did pull the tank. The tube shattered as soon as I got it out. There wasnt even a screen in the bottom of the tube.

[/QUOTE]
Dominic,
Try posting the picture again.[/QUOTE]

https://imgur.com/a/IdNGu0Q[/QUOTE]
Here's your picture:

Dominic,
Did you pull the pickup without pulling the tank forward so you had to bend the pickup out from under the deck breaking it?

BTW, it seem ethanol sure gets blamed for lots of problems!!
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

1999 Longhorn Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 2:02pm

On the subject of alcohol in fuels, my local small engine repair guru tells all of his small engine repair customers to change their fuel to ethanol free premix for their two cycle

I'd say he also loves to sell this stuff at $20.00 a gallon!

We love to sell it at the Depot too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 2:36pm
Dominic,
Did that line come up thru the large nut screwed into the plastic tank or did you take that out also? I cant tell from the picture cause there is a blue rag stuffed in in the hole.:) Tried pulling mine yesterday by just unscrewing the 90 degree piece, and it came up about 12 -18 inches and then no more. Thought maybe there was a clamp in there or just swollen line. Did not want to force it and have to remove the on that day.
Thanks.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 2:44pm

I'd say he also loves to sell this stuff at $20.00 a gallon!

We love to sell it at the Depot too!

I’ve never bought a gallon but in 1qt cans my ancient Mcculloch chainsaw, my Husquevarna weed whacker and gas leaf blower start and run faithfully year after year thanks to small amounts of this stuff. Cheaper than trying to get the crap gasohol varnish out of the system of each of them.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:22pm
I'm sure glad that nobody ever had gas problems before ethanol began showing up in gasoline.

What a wonderful, trouble free world it was

Just add this to the list of topics with opinions. Here are a few examples

Fram vs anything

Ford vs Chevy

Pertronix vs anything

Gilligan or Ginger (being old Pete would go for Mrs. Howell, I guess I would too)

And the list goes on....and on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:40pm
I’m happy you two will be fighting over Mrs. Howell. I’m a Maryann fan myself. She’s hot.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:44pm

I’m happy you two will be fighting over Mrs. Howell. I’m a Maryann fan myself. She’s hot.

I think you meant sharing instead of fighting over
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 3:51pm
Except my cars everything motorized is over 21-they can partake in a little alcohol, heck some of them even smoke.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Except my cars everything motorized is over 21-they can partake in a little alcohol, heck some of them even smoke.....

Yeah but if you put em on a breathalyzer, they’ll all be in the slammer.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 4:40pm
I will not trust ethanol in anything but my cars. Had a group of people fill up with 91 octane 10% ethanol in their snowmobiles this winter at an SA. Three of 4 had problems with detonation within 10 miles. One of them took the sled in for warrantee to check it out and the dealer tested the gas and said it was 33% ethanol, not 10%.
My 2cents worth.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic