Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

68 Mustang rudder port length

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Mustang rudder port length
    Posted: September-23-2014 at 10:23pm
My rudder port was egg shaped so I had to get a replacement. This one is out of an older than my Mustang, American Skier. It fits the rudder shaft nicely, but from what I have been reading is too long.

Is it correct that the bottom of the rudder port should be flush with the hull? Take it to a machine shop to shorten it?

Thanks!

Bill

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2014 at 10:50pm
The originals were extended below the hull. I cut mine off when I went with
the newer rudder.I had to use a dremel to cut mine off,it had becomed egg
shaped and would not come out.I imagine you could just cut it off with a hacksaw,if you have access to a machine shop you could do it that way.Either way you can use the cutoff piece to take up the slack on the tiller arm side.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 7:46am
You'll want to fine tune the length on your particular boat- hull thickness and backing board thickness will vary a little. Test fit, mark, hacksaw, done. (Yes, you want it flush). Save the piece you cut off for use as a spacer on the top side, or invest in some brass washers to eliminate the vertical slop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic