NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
goldenrigley View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon wanted
    Posted: September-25-2014 at 3:27am
I have a 1962 Tournament Skier and it does not have a pylon. No trace of ever having one. I would like to buy the correct one but I do not know the specs. Can anyone help?
Jim in WI
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 1:04am
Back a few months I commented on my 1963 Tournament Skier being built without a ski pylon. Something just came to mind as to a possible reason why I don't have one. My boat is powered by a 327 AMC/Gray marine engine with a 4 bbl carb instead of a pair of side drafts. To accomodate the carb a little build-out was added to the top of the motor box. Could it be that C.C. engineers felt that to have the necessary clearance the pylon would be too tall for a heavy pull? Just a thought. Any comments?
Jim in WI
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 9:19am
Jim,
I don't see any problem with the dog house addition interfering with a ski rope. The pylons are taller than the addition to the dog house top.

Unless you are extremely lucky, I don't feel you will find a pylon. I looked for years and ended up having to fabricate mine.

I have asked for pictures of your 63 several times. When are we going to see them?? I've also asked you why you want to get rid of the foot throttle??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 9:59am
The pylon may have been an option as it was on most boats. Unless your decking on the bulkhead has been replaced, there would be signs of a hole in the decking if it ever had one. It would have been attached to cross framing down by the bilge with a clevis.

The pylon is high enough to clear a motor box with a down draft carb as can be seen on our Classic or in this wood boat with the modified motor box that I believe was factory original.

That particular pylon is rare, but so is a buyer. Check ebay and keep looking here. I sold one a few years ago, and if not for that particular buyer, I'd probably still be sitting on it.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2014 at 2:44pm
Pete
Ano ther nice job on your pylon. My 56 CC Caviler did not come with one but if I could find one I would consider adding it

If anyone comes across one keep me in mind as well
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 1:46am
Thanks Pete for the reply. I apologize for not communicating back in a timely fashion. Personal matters have had my attention for the last couple of months. The boat is very solid and mostly needs cosmetic work. The P.O used masonite with exterior carpet on the interior. It was worped and falling off. Its been removed as it was originally and I'm not certain what I'm going to do here. The other concern is the plywood in the area above the prop. It appears this area was damaged and puttied up with some
guck. My plan is to pull the motor, strip the hardware, check the shaft for true and have the plywood replaced in this area.
As far as the throttle is concerned I will save all the original parts, I am just more comfortable with a hand throttle. Just bought NOS Morris throttle only control.
I'll work on getting some pics. and figure out how to post them.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Jim from S/E Wi.
Jim in WI
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2014 at 9:35am
Jim,
Prop rash on a wood hull is pretty common especially since so many props were run so close to the hulls back then. Many a wood boat has had copper sheet screwed to the hull in that area. The epoxy patch is not a bad idea and I suggest taking a closer look after removing the PO's patch. Make sure the ply is still sound and the rash hasn't gone through more that the outer veneer. If it hasn't, CPES it several times, give it a couple coats of unfilled epoxy and then fill it with filled epoxy. Do NOT use Marinetex or a similar product. Mix epoxy resin and a filler such as colloidal silica yourself. Fill the area as smooth as you can since the fillers used for hard patching are difficult to sand. Hopefully the area isn't too big. Post some pictures.

To post pictures, go to "post reply" and not the "quick reply". You'll see a icon of a tree with and up arrow. Clicking it will bring up a box allowing you to browse your pictures you have in your computer.

Also, check the ply over very good looking for areas of delamination.

I hope things get better for you and your problems in last couple months have passed. Keep moving forward.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2017 at 4:57pm
Update on 62 Tournament Skier;
The boat is in Delavan Boat Shed having plywood hull section replaced, shaft checked Entire bottom was checked and refinished. I think I will attempt refinishing above the water. Could use a new Taylor Made windshield also.
Jim in WI
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 12:59pm
This is what the correct pylon for your boat looks like.

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2017 at 1:49pm
If all else fails, then have one fabbed up. Easy project if you have proper dimensions
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
RJD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2017 at 4:37pm
I have the pylon you are looking for. it needs some repair and replating. If interested give me a call 978-888-4361.
Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic