NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jet Jon Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jet Jon Boat
    Posted: September-26-2014 at 9:58pm
Today a shirt tail relative took me out in his jon boat, which powered by a grafted-in 150 hp pwc jet drive.

Sorry, no pictures were taken.

What a rush!

He let me drive it for a while, is pretty responsive as long as you are giving it throttle. There was no steering when you let off the gas though.

The river we live near pretty much ranges from several inches, to several feet deep, unless you are within a mile of a dam.

His boat will fly through 4 inches of water at 50 mph. I admire his skill at reading water depth for sure.

This maybe a project worthy of my time . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 9:45am
No pictures and we can only assume this was an alcohol induced dream of wild proportions.
Js
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:18am
Hmmm, sounds like something worthy of me checking into. I'd assume its weed tolerance is pretty limited? I'm always in search of shallow draft boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 6:05pm
The more I think about it, the more I want to build one. I think I would use it more than a wakeboard boat with no kids around.

Here is someone else's project

Travis has about $5K in his, he bought a perfectly good bombarier 4 stroke 1500 CC PWC to cut up.

I think a tired 2 stroke pwc would be pretty easy to pick up cheap.

I will start by talking to the DNR about getting a frankenboat registered . . .

Ben Franklin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 8:23pm
I know boston whaler has made something resembling these it seems the carolina skiff hull would be pretty conducive to a jet drive .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 3:46pm
Update- I called my local DNR officer, who said I would have to get it inspected by the coast guard & that it would be a long laborius process.   He knew exactly what I was talking about, & said a guy went thru this process last year.   Yikes!

So I called the coast guard office, & talked to a nice guy who researched this question for me (he actually contacted New Orleans office). Answer is that if I don't build it to sell it, no inspection required.    He suggested I call the head Iowa DNR people, which I did next.

DNR lady in Des Moines said I can change the status of the jon boat registration to a 'homemade inboard' at local county recorder's office, no red tape at all, no inspections.

Government in action . . .

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 4:13pm
Let me start off with this Chris,not happening with out pictures. That said looks like a real Red Green project. Is Iowa different than say Illinois? You register the boat if you decide one day to remove your 10hp Honda and put on a 25 Merc you don't reregister the boat right? So you went a little overboard on the hp when you changed your "fishing" motor
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2014 at 7:28pm
You know Gary, I studied the USCG sec 183 regs pretty thoroughly. If you hang an outboard on a boat, there are 2 pages of requirements to determine the max size.

But (as far as I can tell) there is no limit to how much HP an inboard can be.

Per Iowa's DNR Central, They don't inspect boats, they just make sure they are not stolen.

Pictures will come as soon as I buy the donor parts.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 11:35pm
Quick update on my winter project -

I bought a 1648 Alumacraft from a fire dept - 10 years old but only saw water 3 times & never rescued anyone.

I also found a '95 polaris 750 jet ski for $500, seller ditching it because the pump shaft seal was broken (was easy fix). In the paper work that he gave me, were $1500 reciepts for the engine rebuild! It has great compression!

Here is the jet ski hull now, I added flanges (US Composite resin, of course) that will glue into the big hole that I will cut in the jon boat hull. Will use 5200 + screws to attach it. In addition, it will bolt to the aluminum stringers to take the propusion forces.

I will have 2 seats mounted just in front of the bench. The steering will be a joystick (like an airboat). The stick will be on center so you will be able to drive from either seat.

I probably will also put in a bench seat up front.

I came up with a way to mount the gas tank at the rear port corner (under the old bench seat) - that way the filler neck will be at deck level. It took quite a bit of work to get it shoehorned in there.

I have plans for the dog house, but hard to describe in words. I'll put in a floor & side walls too.

I have studied the USCG boat builders guide & will be in compliance. However, they said no inspection is required on a homebuild.

I should have the engine in by end of the month. I'll post more pictures then.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 1:55pm
Here are a few more pictures of my 'Plat Nautique' project:

Hole is cut! I primed the aluminum side of joint with 'Marine Tex' to assure good bond with the 5200 (which has a big asterisk next to aluminum in the data sheet)

The ride plate hangs down about 2 inches below the Jon boat hull:

I rented an alignment gage to set engine. This is just like shimming a strut!     I had to shim the pump to get it to align to the engine.   I couldn't drop the engine down.

I bolted the plastic down with 5 (edit) 1/4-20 stainless machine screws on each side. Drilled & tapped into 1/2 inch thick alum pads I had welded into my stringers.

I have most of the components remounted.

I have rebuit the carbs & got a new fuel pump, as the #1 cause of engine failure in these is fuel starvation (burnt pistons).

This may be hard to make out. I mocked up the steering mount to make sure my cable will work (which it does). The handle bar was rewelded to make it straight.   I still need to fab up the steering mount & seat mounts. Also a lateral bridge-brace at the front of the engine.

Mock up of some coverings. Not sure what finish I will use. I am thinking of sand text paint for the decks & vinyl for the top of the doghouse.

Thanks for viewing.

This build has been a lot of fun for me!

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I still need to fab up seat mounts.

Chris,
I like the present seat mount!

The project is looking great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2015 at 9:16pm
This looks really cool. Imagine one one of those supercharged honda jetski engines . You'd be going 80+mph across the water. Can't wait to see this running.
1972 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

You'd be going 80+mph across the water. Can't wait to see this running.

Justin,
You can be the test driver to do 80 in a flat bottom jon boat! Read up on "hooking a chine".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 9:33am
No thanks! My 2nd boat was a 15 ft Cheetah (sidewinder clone) on which I had taken the out the hook.    Alone in the boat, it would chine walk at 55 MPH.    Not a comfortable feeling at all. With 2+ people it was fine.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 9:44am

No thanks! My 2nd boat was a 15 ft Cheetah (sidewinder clone) on which I had taken the out the hook.    Alone in the boat, it would chine walk at 55 MPH.    Not a comfortable feeling at all. With 2+ people it was fine.

The worst I encountered was a 16' Cruiser Inc with a Merc 6 on it. It too would chine walk and then it would hook a chine. The worst of it's handling was in turns. It would not lean into a turn but would lean away from the turn. Then it would hook the chine and the boat would almost flip. Several passengers with a unsuspecting driver at the helm were thrown out of that boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 11:04am
Cool Project. But you're going to finish before the ice is out... Looks like a road trip to warmer temps!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 11:35am
That's freaking awesome haha. I've heard of a few of those running around.
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

You'd be going 80+mph across the water. Can't wait to see this running.

Justin,
You can be the test driver to do 80 in a flat bottom jon boat! Read up on "hooking a chine".

Oh.... Um, that seems a bit scary. Nevermind No one, I MEAN NO ONE drop a supercharged honda jet-ski motor in a Jon boat
1972 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 12:17am
Yes, a guy could overdo it:

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 9:20pm
I came across this utube today:

18 ft selfie pole

Ben Franklin
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 10:30pm
i just spent some time googling home built and manufactured jet jon boats. one manufacturer has a pretty basic looking boat 21' starting at 34 grand... the home builds are pretty cool . funny google image search has the yellow fiberglass ski boat with the pressure treated tower ,that boat is everywhere
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2015 at 10:58pm

I came across this utube today:

18 ft selfie pole

That's pretty cool.
1972 Mustang
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 12:32am
You must install cup holders.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

You must install cup holders.

Funny you mentioned that!

A neighbor made the same suggestion last weekend.

I have a good spot reserved.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2015 at 12:00pm
Otherwise it is this:

Hold my beer and watch this !!!!!!!!!

It normally ends bad.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2015 at 10:56pm
It's been a while so here is an update.

Got the boat running, went for a shakedown cruise last weekend.

Getting some cavitation so I will add a 'spoon', which directs water up into the pump grate. This idea is not mine, got it from prdecessors on the internet.

Still need to dial in the carbs - if you think Holleys are hard to set try 3 mikuni diaphram carbs. Getting a big flat spot mid throttle, but piston wash says it's too rich. Still pondering this.

Not real hep on the stick steer, might bite the bullet & get a teleflex system (will be $400).

Got it re-registered as an inboard 80 hp alumacraft. Insurance company didn't balk either, sent them pictures, $24 per year w/ $17 deductable (I thought that was a mistake & called them).

Hopefully I will get this wrapped up in time to get the SN out. Need to do the carpet in that.

Prototype spoon, made from plywood, canned foam & vinyl:

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 12:54am
Looks Well Built !!!!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2015 at 1:39am
Yes. Hell Yeah looks like a fun ride.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 5:45pm
Any pics of it running. That thing will be a great shallow water river runner, cruisin the backwaters of the mighty Miss!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2015 at 6:19pm
No video yet - still working out the bugs. I am getting cavitation & have purchased a 'top loader' intake grate which is supposed to help that.

Haven't been able to dial in the carbs. I think it is because there is 2X load on the engine (compared to pwc) so the manifold pressure is much higher. I am going to change pop-off springs next (ordered them this AM).

Got to figure it out myself; no shop would touch this frankenstein, that is for sure.

I did some bat-turns yesterday, woohoo it's gonna be fun . . .

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic