NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Newish Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
Author
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy, Newish Boat
    Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:03pm
Howdy,

Picked up a 2000 Pro Air Nautique last week to start a full resto.

Boat was/is in sad sad shape.

http://s256.photobucket.com/user/treybizttu/library/Nautique
Copy and paste in your browser for pictures

Story goes it was owned by a camp (so 492148098 hours on it probably) and they didn't winterize in 2012 or so. Had milky oil so they replaced head gaskets but found "the motor was bad". I haven't torn into the motor yet to see what's what but, it's all there with the exception of the FCC (which sucks since they are $$$). The distributor was out and laying on the floor and everything is disconnected including the driveshaft. So, the motor is a mystery currently. A buddy that I grew up with is coming by next week with his dad to help me inspect and tear down. Buddy runs a local race shop for legend cars and other stuff, His dad works for him but used to run a boat repair shop so I'm in good hands. Both of them have plenty of experience with 351s and inboards as well.

Well, when the motor was determined to be "bad" they brought it to Buxton as a trade that never materialized so it just sat in the back lot with no cover for the better part of 2 years. Gel coat is faded and seriously oxidized. Some of the interior is salvageable and cleaned up decent. Other parts like the back sun deck are toast.

Game Plan:

Get it cleaned up and pretty- It's pretty clean as of today after a week worth of late nights after the kiddo went to bed.. I just want it to look decent while I'm working so my neighbors don't murder me since it won't fit in the garage with my wife's ride + all our junk. I bought a cover that is supposed to deliver today.
Clean up as much as possible with the existing interior for now.
Remove all the decals.
Wet Sand, Buff, Glaze, Wax.

Next Step:
Motor and Electronics.
-I snagged a battery this morning so I can put some power to it and see what is working.. (At some point some of the stock failure prone gauges were replaced with Faria units.)
I'm pretty handy with 12v so I will make sure everything has juice.
-I think regardless of the extent of motor being good/bad it's going to come out. The ballast plumbing is falling apart and the floor of the motor compartment is filthy from the elements.
-Drain the gas. It's old and stinky and almost full

- Motor is going to be a big question mark. I will just have to update there as I can. Oddly enough the oil in it looks good.
-The transmission isn't black painted anymore so the guys at Buxton said it was probably rebuilt/replaced. It has fluid in it currently that doesn't look brand new but it's still nice and cherry red.
-The Prop has a bent blade. Shaft appears to spin straight and true but I can verify that.
-One of the Tower Bolts that joins the halves is stripped. Need to heli-coil or fill weld and drill/tap.

Once the mechanics are worked out:

-Get it on the water and see what the Wife Thinks.. We have an I/O currently that she loves but I've wanted a direct drive and a nautique for a while so I'm working on her. Once it's funcitional and pretty she will more than likely change her tune.
-Once I have her stamp of approval I will redo the interior, stereo, and spruce up the trailer. If the gel coat sand/buff doesn't satisfy me the same buddy that runs the race shop is partners in a wrap company.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:11pm
welcome to the club and congratulations on your purchase :)    lots of information here, so have fun getting it back on the water!

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

welcome to the club and congratulations on your purchase :)    lots of information here, so have fun getting it back on the water!

Thanks!

I've been reading everything I can with my limited spare time but decided I needed to register today. I'm sure I will have lots of questions going forward and this board seems to be a great wealth of knowledge.

Good things I've got going:
-We have a boat and a couple jet fleas currently so I don't have a deadline to get it "complete" to enjoy the water.
-I got into it very cheap so I have budgetary room to work.
- I like projects and "winter" (It's Texas, we don't have a real winter) is looming so I will have time to piddle.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:33pm
I would recommend troubleshooting the engine as much as possible while it's still in the boat. Having it hooked up to the battery, key, fuel pumps and full compliment of gauges is valuable. Definitely don't disassemble until you have done all the troubleshooting you can. Break down in minimal stages as required (I would not pull the engine if a compression test comes back good and the exh manifolds fail a pressure test, for instance).

If it's not too late, make sure the battery you bought fits in the box (group 65 is what you want) and that it is NOT a (deep cycle) marine battery. A regular starting battery works well or a dual purpose if you're looking to spend $$.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would recommend troubleshooting the engine as much as possible while it's still in the boat. Having it hooked up to the battery, key, fuel pumps and full compliment of gauges is valuable. Definitely don't disassemble until you have done all the troubleshooting you can. Break down in minimal stages as required (I would not pull the engine if a compression test comes back good and the exh manifolds fail a pressure test, for instance).

If it's not too late, make sure the battery you bought fits in the box (group 65 is what you want) and that it is NOT a (deep cycle) marine battery. A regular starting battery works well or a dual purpose if you're looking to spend $$.

Battery I bought is a regular starting battery and identical to what came out of the box.. Just not dead as a door nail.

I won't pull the motor until we test everything we can as it sits. I'd be happy as a clam if I didn't have to build/buy a short or long block. Only thing that really temps me to pull it regardless is that I have access to an over head hoist and every single thing is disconnected at this point. Wiring harness, fuel lines, you name it... Even the motor mounts are hand tight with just one bolt in each. Motor and trans are literally just sitting there.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:40pm
This post needs pictures...
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

This post needs pictures...

My photo bucket URL is in the 1st post. I'll attach some when I'm back at my laptop.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:18am
Day #1:

Outside Day #2: (This is after a power wash)

My assistant:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:23am
Interior cleaned up decent after a lot of scrubbing... (Pictures make it look nicer than it is.. Lots of stains and little cuts).

Another of the interior:

The Mystery Motor:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 11:26am
Got a cover:

The wife helped: (i was shocked)

Removed the "Air" followed by 1000,1500,3000. Need to compound, glaze, and wax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 12:21pm
And also a question... So my variable buffer is in vegas right now (long story) but I want to start wet sanding. Is there any harm in wet sanding from 1000/1500 to 3000/5000 grit and leaving the boat outside for a week or two before I get my buffer back and start compounding,glaze, wax?

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 1:54pm
I think I would wait until your buffer was close by.   The point of polishing is to remove the oxidation, so if you remove the oxidation and then don't buff/protect the surface, you may cause more sanding for yourself.   that said, I am pretty OCD about shininess on my vehicles, and a week or 2 to oxidize is really probably nothing in the grand scheme of things. wax once you polish so that the fresh finish is not exposed to the elements

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 2:33pm

I think I would wait until your buffer was close by.   The point of polishing is to remove the oxidation, so if you remove the oxidation and then don't buff/protect the surface, you may cause more sanding for yourself.   that said, I am pretty OCD about shininess on my vehicles, and a week or 2 to oxidize is really probably nothing in the grand scheme of things. wax once you polish so that the fresh finish is not exposed to the elements

I'm pretty OCD myself so i will probably wait. I wish I could pull the stupid thing into the garage but our Monday through Friday house was built in the 80s so even with no swim platform and the tongue detached I'm touching the entry door to the house. Luckily once this thing is done I'll move it to the lakehouse. My barn down there is 35' long.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 4:23pm
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the Pro Air club.

The upholstery is not original, but whoever did it did a nice job...well, the pieces you have at least. That rear sundeck goes bad quick. If you replace it, take the seams out, they are not your friend.

If you're looking to replace decals, N3 and Nautiqueparts will have them. Some people don't like the graphics package on these years, I love them.

Good news on the gauge replacement, that's a big cost savings for you. My only question is, is it gps, paddle wheel, or pidot? If its a paddle wheel, check where it was installed, there's not a great place to put that on this hull, and if it was done hastily, could be blocking your water pickup, which would definitely lead to a motor going "bad".

Good luck, can't wait for more updates. Should be an easy sell for the misses to get out of the I/O.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

And also a question... So my variable buffer is in vegas right now (long story) but I want to start wet sanding. Is there any harm in wet sanding from 1000/1500 to 3000/5000 grit and leaving the boat outside for a week or two before I get my buffer back and start compounding,glaze, wax?

Gelcoat is extremely hart and it took years for it to oxidize to the point it's at now. A couple of weeks won't hurt it in the least.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the Pro Air club.

The upholstery is not original, but whoever did it did a nice job...well, the pieces you have at least. That rear sundeck goes bad quick. If you replace it, take the seams out, they are not your friend.
I figured most of it wasn't original since I noticed some subtle differences… The sundeck is completely toast
If you're looking to replace decals, N3 and Nautiqueparts will have them. Some people don't like the graphics package on these years, I love them.

Part of my business is vinyl so I can whip something up.

Good news on the gauge replacement, that's a big cost savings for you. My only question is, is it gps, paddle wheel, or pidot? If its a paddle wheel, check where it was installed, there's not a great place to put that on this hull, and if it was done hastily, could be blocking your water pickup, which would definitely lead to a motor going "bad".
There are two "pitots" on the back of the boat.

Good luck, can't wait for more updates. Should be an easy sell for the misses to get out of the I/O.

She is already coming around it was just tough at first for her to visualize a nice boat since it was so filthy and the day I brought it home; our other boat was also in the driveway all polished up and pretty.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 6:22pm

Be careful when you do, some people in the past have had problems with the curve of the hull. No part of that boat is flat, just keep in mind.

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't mean they are hooked up to anything. I still have them on mine, I just didn't feel like filling the gel at the time I replaced them. Check the bottom of the hull, you should have a drain plug, a pickup for your water pump, and a seacock for your ballast, all relatively close to each other. If you see a paddle wheel too, that's connected to the speedos. Just check that its not in front of the pickup for the water pump.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2014 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

Be careful when you do, some people in the past have had problems with the curve of the hull. No part of that boat is flat, just keep in mind.

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't mean they are hooked up to anything. I still have them on mine, I just didn't feel like filling the gel at the time I replaced them. Check the bottom of the hull, you should have a drain plug, a pickup for your water pump, and a seacock for your ballast, all relatively close to each other. If you see a paddle wheel too, that's connected to the speedos. Just check that its not in front of the pickup for the water pump.

As far as the vinyl goes, we can park the boat in the warehouse and experiment a little. If we can't make it look like I want I will just order some of the "OE" graphics.

And now I'm curious if those pitots are in fact hooked up to anything. I don't remember seeing a paddle wheel in addition to the other items but I will again if I make it home before dark tonight.
kelly3carr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly3carr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 11:27am
Hello ..
Congratulation :)
I am new here and very happy to join such a group which is soo fond of boats.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 11:43am
There are compounds that will remove 1000 grit scratches. I find buffing easier on the arms than sanding. No sense sanding much past 1200. Even 1500 is overkill.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

There are compounds that will remove 1000 grit scratches. I find buffing easier on the arms than sanding. No sense sanding much past 1200. Even 1500 is overkill.

Interesting,

The last boat I did I started with just a compound after 1000 and felt like I could never get it the way I wanted. Following a friend's advise I went all the way up to 3000 grit wet sanding and then just used a finishing compound followed by glaze and wax. It was much easier for me and the end result is still looking great a few seasons and waxes later. But, that's just my (very limited) experience so I could just be making more work for myself.

Did make some progress on other items last night. Sanded the swim platform and started putting a few coats of oil on it.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 4:25pm
Not every compound will remove 1000 grit scratches, but some will... It's all about using the right products and pads. I agree with HW, sanding sucks, ha.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not every compound will remove 1000 grit scratches, but some will... It's all about using the right products and pads. I agree with HW, sanding sucks, ha.

I ordered some new 3M stuff and I'm just trying things in small sections at this point so I'll give 1000 and compound a whirl again too.

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 12:28am
pictures of your 'little helper'...very cool.

pictures of the wife buffing the boat after dark......even cooler!

I may be in the minority but I have always liked the swoosh graphics.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 12:50am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

pictures of your 'little helper'...very cool.

pictures of the wife buffing the boat after dark......even cooler!

I may be in the minority but I have always liked the swoosh graphics.

john

Thanks!

The Wife is quickly taking a liking to it and that's just with it taking up space at the house. Once it's a runner she will be on board... The boy was sold from day one.... The wife called me at the office earlier today with him on speaker and he kept telling me, "boat clean please". Made me smile after a craptastic day at the office. He loves the lake and it's hard to peel him off of his seat in our I/O and he loves jet ski rides.

I like the swoosh personally.. I think the year correct "AIR" graphic wasn't all that great but one of my designers has some replacement ideas drawn up. I'll post those once I have a few I like in PDF form

Trey
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:30am
I like them too and after seeing a couple of decals of mine peeling off, understand completely why they went to them
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 11:44am
So with no belts on and no spark plugs in the motor I can't spin it by hand at the crank pulley.

That was about all I did last night as my old lab decided he wanted to lose his dinner on the only carpet we have in the whole house....
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:46pm
I had to put some acetone/atf mix in mine, and it freed up after sitting for a couple of days. I had to use a 3' breaker bar on the front pulley nut to make it spin for the first several rounds.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 1:50pm

I had to put some acetone/atf mix in mine, and it freed up after sitting for a couple of days. I had to use a 3' breaker bar on the front pulley nut to make it spin for the first several rounds.

Breaker bar was my next thought... I was curious what would work to pour in the cylinders. I thought about fogging oil.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 2:08pm
atf to acetone (50/50) or Marvel mystery oil are both good choices.   when you use the starter the first time, make sure you cover EVERYTHING, as the oil is sprayed out through the spark plug holes. (yes, I know from experience, and had to clean the carpet afterwards)

fogging oil is not going to give the penetrating action you need to unseat the stuck rings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 8>
  Share Topic