Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starter filled with water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dannis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter filled with water
    Posted: October-07-2014 at 6:34am
Hi guys!

I recently bought a Ski nautique 2001 from 1989. This came with a 454 engine in it. It was owned by a ski club before and then by two guys I ended up buying it from. The hour meter stands on 2200hrs. I've drove it for about 2 months here in Sweden, and it went pretty great.
I was going to pick it up for winter season the day before yesterday, and it wouldn't start. I've got a bad starter gear + some teeths missing on the flywheel, so sometimes when it ends up on that spot i manually turn the engine around a little. This time it happend, again and again and it wouldn't even turn around a full turn in the end. I got tired and pulled out the starter engine to look. Out of the starter came alot of water.
And I'm wondering what could have caused this? Should I be worried? During this winter i was planning on pulling the engine to replace the flywheel teeths, but now i'm more leaning to also do a rebuild of the engine. Due to this, and also to the long hours it's been running.
What do you guys think of that?

Appreciate all help i can get.

I'm from Sweden so sorry for my english.

Best wishes!

//Danne
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 10:04am
At some point it had a lot of water in the bilge. Starters will hold water for quite some time. Although, on a big block the starter is higher than a small block Ford or Chevy so that seems unlikely.

Only other thing I could think would be a leaking hose near it or a freeze plug inside the bell housing leaking water.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 10:11am
I'm not familiar with Chevy's but can't the starter be converted to top side of motor? Def a plus for the one time you forget the plug as starters love water.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 11:55am
All direct drive 454's come in from the back side of the bell housing on the top.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 11:58am
Starting or Driving around with water in the bilge will sling water into anywhere, including into a top-mount starter.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 12:40pm
Along the lines of what everyone here is saying...Can't guarantee this is your problem but I had a similar experience. I also have a Chevy with a top mount/back entry starter. If you start the boat with a bunch of water in the bilge, the flywheel can pick up the water and drop it in the starter. This has happened to me twice (once too many, I should have learned) First time the starter was waterlogged and had been that way for a while. It continued to work for a while but then died. I had it rebuilt and it was fine. The second time, I caught the mistake right away. I took off the starter, opened it up and dried it out with a hair dryer. Probably too late for that fix on yours, but the good news part of this is your engine and seals are probably fine. A starter rework and you should be good.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 12:46pm
Being that I just flooded my bilge to the point water crested the floors, should I be worried about my starter on my 351W???

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Being that I just flooded my bilge to the point water crested the floors, should I be worried about my starter on my 351W???

I'll bet your bilge is prob clean of oil which is the biggest concern. I'd just pull it, open the case and squirt it with wd40.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 12:57pm
Like Larry said, if you get water in it and leave it it will fail it's just a question of when. When customers bring in flooded boats we replace the starter no questions asked.

Even on a brand new boat that was flooded taking the starter off after a week yielded a ton of nasty rusty water pouring out (bear in mind this was even on a salt water prepped 409).
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 2:35pm
I wont be able to get to it for a couple more days. Hope it's OK. The bum knee wont make it any easier either.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2014 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Dannis Dannis wrote:

I'm from Sweden so sorry for my english.

Best wishes!

//Danne

Dude, Is it true every girl in Sweden has Blonde hair and is Tall and Smoking Hot???

We definitely need some pics!!!

Oh, and the starter thing, whatever those guys said!

Welcome!!
Dannis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2014 at 6:03am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Dude, Is it true every girl in Sweden has Blonde hair and is Tall and Smoking Hot???

We definitely need some pics!!!

Oh, and the starter thing, whatever those guys said!

Welcome!!

HAHA!, why do you think i'm so eager to fix my boat;)?

Seriously, thank you guys for all the replys.
I'm thinking of doing a rebuild of the engine anyway, i noticed the floor hade some cracks around the battery box. So the engine is coming out and in with new floor and possible stringers -.-
I've seen you guys has alot of good info about the floor and stringer work. I'm gonna do some research!

BTW this really seems like an awesome forum, alot of activity and knowledgeable people, Thanks!

//Danne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic