Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing heads. Gasket advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing heads. Gasket advice needed
    Posted: October-11-2014 at 10:08am
Guys,

Sorry about another cyl heads topic, but I couldn't find the exact answers in the search...

What's the issue?
Since our current heads are cracked (water's leaking/spraying out), we need to get these replaced this winter.
So that'll be the time to upgrade to GT40P's, I guess!

We live in The Netherlands and heads are too damn expensive over here (not to mention they're impossible to find as well). Talking about 1500+ dollars for 2 heads. So we'll get hem while we're in The States by the end of this year

Did a lot of searching on this forum and google to find the info we need. There's just one thing that we're not 100% sure of, and since we won't be able to return or resell the heads, we can't just risk it. Plus even worse; we would not be able to boat next summer if we bring the wrong heads...

Looks to us we're best of by buying a pair of remanufactured GT40P heads. But what codes would fit our engine? And what year heads will fit?

Would that be 97-01 Explorer heads that would fit? And would the only correct head code be F77E? Or are there any other heads that would fit. I'm kinda confused now.

FYI, the other parts we're replacing while we're at it:
- hydraulic lifters
- all bolts
- dowels
- gaskets obviously

Only thing about the pushrods is that we won't be able to check the length. Hope that the original ones will be the correct length. That might be an issue with new milled heads .

Any info on where to find good heads? Odessa hasn't replied to my e-mail yet. Heard good things about these guys...

Our boat:
1996 Ski Nautique
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 10:15am
Or would you guys go with other than GT40P's? Other heads that are maybe cheaper and easier to find...?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 11:39am
Your on the right track,your looking for late production 97 and up Explorer and Mountaineer heads. You will also have to have the head bolts drilled out,302's are 7/16", 351's are 1/2". Don't worry about casting numbers, but look for gt40p cast into head in the rocker cover area and gtp cast lower right near head bolt hole and 4 bars cast into area by the external core plugs. You should replace those too with brass ones. There are shims available to adjust push rods if heads have been surfaced.Good info here. Summit rocker shims
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 12:42pm
Thanks for your reply!

You're right, I knew about that 1/2", forgot to mention. I'll check on Ebay again. Doesn't seem to me there are that many GT40P's (remanufactured) around. There should be lots of 'em around though .

Good tip on the shims as well, thanks.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2014 at 4:37pm
There are many machine shops in most cities of the United States, these shops buy cores and rebuild them and usually have what you need on the shelf, they also rebuild your cores if you bring them in. You should be able to contact one in the cities you plan to visit and have them get a set ready for your pick up when here. Usually a set of rebuilt heads go for $500 or so, unless the head is rare.
I was just looking at a set of Aluminum AFR heads 185cc ports as an upgrade to the GT40 head. These brand new are 1,500 US. Another brand selling brand new is DART / World Products. This used to be one company and split, I think Dart focuses on Performance Parts and World Products is more passenger car and truck replacements. You could check and see if they offer the GT40p brand new in Iron rather than aluminum.
I have read the AFR 185 would add at least 30 HP over the GT40p but I have not done this. Aluminum may be an issue but you would need to read how Aluminum is working on Marine blocks.
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 1:03pm
I came up with about the same prices when searching the net. Approx. 600 USD is what it'll cost me. That's not too bad for a set of heads (keep in mind what they'd cost me in The Netherlands ).

I'm not going with aluminum heads. I'll just stick with the iron heads. Can't go wrong that way, plus I'm not all about the horsepower. If I find a nice set of GT40's for a decent price, I wouldn't pass on these either.
It's not bad having an extra 20 - 30 HP without any extra cost or effort, so I prefer GT40P's. But it's whatever is available now really. Hopefully I'll be able to find some decent 40P's for a nice price...
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2014 at 7:42pm
Where are you going in the US ? I have a set of GT heads I pulled from a nautique with 600 hrs. But if you are going that far I can have a machine shop magna flux and rebuild I should be in the 500 range if you come close to North Carolina ..
800wildcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 4:24am
An additional plus with aluminum heads is whatever the weight reduction is can then be added to your load carrying capacity.
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 11:38am
Suggest you contact Dover Cylinder Head in Greenville, SC. They are one of the leading Cylinder Head Shops in the United States. Telephone number:
864-294-7741. They respond to emails "chrisd@doverheads.com" . They just reconditioned a set of GT-40 Heads for me and charged about $400. They also sell new and used reconditioned cylinder heads. Give some thought to the shipping costs. I lived in Holland for a while, worked in
Vlaardingen and did some classwork and teaching in Scheveningen, have first hand experience in the expense of shipping between the US and Holland.

Good Luck and Enjoy Your Visit!
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 5:44pm
I have some experience with 351 heads leaking/spraying water from cracks in the rear spark plug to freeze plug area. While searching for heads, a tech told me to first try cleaning/grinding out the cracks(to clean bare metal), and using a 2 part epoxy like JB Weld,(let dry 24 hours) as this is common, and an acceptable fix. It's just the water jacket that cracks, no gas pressure or oil pressure involved. It sounded pretty lame to me at first, until I thought, hey, a rubber hose or gasket on the thermostat housing has the same water pressure and heat to withhold. This was 3 years ago, and hasn't leaked since. This was on my 87 SN I gave to my daughter.
You may want new heads anyway, but fix the old ones and keep for spares or a buddy later, especially since they are so hard to come by where you are.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 7:12pm
will you carry them back in your lugagge? ask the airline about extra weight as they are about 40lb each (17kg)..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2014 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by cbr1000dude cbr1000dude wrote:

... using a 2 part epoxy like JB Weld,(let dry 24 hours) as this is common, and an acceptable fix........ This was 3 years ago, and hasn't leaked since. This was on my 87 SN I gave to my daughter.

JB weld is a very acceptable repair.........on a boat you are going to give to your kids. It's payback for the teenage years.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:38am
Is getting someone to weld it all that expensive? Over 25 years ago, I had a block and exhaust manifold welded (arc, not JB...)and, guess what, it hasn't leaked since.

Things have changed over the years, now, even though I'm only a hobby welder, I'd pull out the Lincoln and do it myself. It's not that difficult.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by 800wildcat 800wildcat wrote:

I'd pull out the Lincoln and do it myself. It's not that difficult.

Not quite that easy. Heads are cast they need to be baked and then welded with a nickel rod. Don't think they make nickel wire for a mig yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:22am
I know that's the officially correct way to do it (preheating) and the way my Dad (certified welding inspecter for the state of OH before retiring) would say to do it. But I watched a guy do it who just used a couple of towels with a bucket of water. He soaked the towels and wrung them out enough to not be dripping. He then made a short welding pass 90 degrees to the crack like a stitch. He would lay another one next to it and so work his way down the crack. The trick was only making a couple of passes at a time not letting the casting get very hot and laying the wet towels on it to slowly cool the iron back down. He would even start with the towels a little distance from the crack at first and then move them in. Took a lot of patience and waiting to make sure the iron did not get too hot and rewetting the towels. But I can verify it was a successful method; it didn't crack next to the weld as would likely happen if it was welded at a normal speed and direction without preheating. He had repaired many cracks using that method and was always successful with it. He said the critical element is patience letting it cool down and not making "just one more pass" and getting it too hot. So if I were to do it today, that's the method I would use. So for me it isn't that difficult, just takes some time and patience. The old AC-DC welder can get it done.

Also, this was long enough ago that eBay didn't exist so getting a used exhaust manifold and a block wasn't nearly as easy to locate as today. So his fee was a really good deal and far, far cheaper than a new replacement.
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 7:49am
Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it!

Guess only thing to do now is find a shop that has heads laying around ready to ship. The two I have emailed to haven't replied yet, which is frustrating.

As far as the welding goes; I've been thinking about that as well. It'd be cheap and easy. But I have 2 concerns… First thing is that iron is (as you said) very, very hard to weld. The other is that there isn't really a very good place to ground the welder. It's a full polyester boat and frying the ECU would mean disastrous problems and that would cost a whole lot more than just 2 heads. Don't want to take that risk to be honest.
Plus it's a good feeling having new heads on the boat without having to check for leaks.

Again, thanks for all the input so far!
More opinions or shop-addresses are always welcome of course.

Malibud; I'll drop you a PM!
Mountain Man; I'll send these guys an e-mail too, thanks.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 8:52am
Some here has bought heads from Clearwater Cylinder Heads,I got mine from Tri-State Cylinder Heads
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 9:20am
Second on the Clearwater Cylinder Head. Our long time local Correct Craft dealership only uses them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 800wildcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 10:17am
Find the ECU harness connector and disconnect it. And I still don't think it's difficult to weld, just very time consuming. But it's your choice. I don't mean in the "whatever" sense, but I don't want to talk you into it against your will. For me, if the objections can be logically answered so the risk is minimal, then I don't have concerns about giving it a shot. After all, the worst case scenario that I can think of as long as electricals are disconnected is the welding if done incorrectly can ruin the heads - and my understanding is they're already ruined. Another thing to check out is if you have concerns about welding with the method I explained above and you're going to pull the heads anyway, see if you can find a welder who has the proper equipment to weld cast iron. (Someone who can preheat it properly.) There's a chance you may find one who is enough cheaper than buying a used set that it may be the best choice. But when I was younger I would likely have used the cracks as a "good" excuse to get some really good performing aluminum heads. Unfortunately, my wallet has never been up to the task of satisfying the power junkie that I truly am at heart....
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 10:45am
Yeah, also been thinking about that. Getting the heads off and then having them welded. That might be the other way to go instead of new heads. But since I've been doing the work by that point already of taking the heads off and having to buy all new gaskets and bolts, etc I might as well change the heads for a new set as well. That'll cost me like 400 bucks extra by that time (considering the welding cost over here), but then I'll have perfectly new GT40P heads, which will make selling the boat easier as opposed to welded heads as well (plan on keeping the boat for just a couple of years from now). And then there's the cost for resurfacing the heads also before I put the welded ones back on. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your input a lot and don't mean to neglect your help! I'm pretty sure welding can be done and it'll give me no problems. But considering the work that has to be done, I just feel better slapping new heads on for the 400 bucks extra it'll run me for this winter.

CBR1000dude; I tried JB Weld already as a temporary solution, but the heat is too much. It gets soft again and it doesn't stop the water anymore from leaking out by that time.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2014 at 4:05pm
We have these on UK Ebay Chinese copy of US heads... may be worth a look and research on the net... these look like the newer type and have better reviews.... shipping will be much cheaper and no Vat on shipping cost and heads ...

351w heads
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 6:26pm
Just to keep you guys updated;

We've just bought remanufactured heads from Tri-State Cyl Heads.
Cut for 1.94 intake and 1.54 exhaust valves and upgraded springs. The latter we won't necessarily need, because we're not upgrading our cams, but it's a plus anyway.

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2014 at 6:31pm
With higher spring rates, be extra certain your oil has sufficient zddp
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2014 at 2:39pm
Thanks for the tip!

Was already planning on buying a couple of flacons ZDDP additive.
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 8:21pm
we have received our new heads and whilst in the US we want to get the right gasket set ordered. We think this is correct

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301232661900?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is it the right one and if not which should we order and are there any gaskets which are needed but are not in the kit. The heads we have are gt40P heads.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 8:47pm
I have used automotive head gaskets before with no problems in freshwater but if in salt you might want to check with felpro and see what they say
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Formula50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formula50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:25pm
Cool, thanks. Will only be used in fresh water. So that means the above gasket set would fit, correct?
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:29pm
I pretty sure it would fit. They do make a marine version I think I got mine from summit. not sure the differences
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 9:48pm
Some of those you won't use you might be able to save some money by ordering them separate from Summit Racing or at least check out their prices. Sure is easier when you live where they made them all!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2014 at 10:14pm
I did not see a part number listed with the kit you purchased so it is hard to confirm the correct application. The Head Gaskets if they are Fel-Pro will have a part number stamped into the gasket. 8548PT is the most common, 9333PT is a heavy duty version and would work better at not much higher cost. A Marine gasket is best in a boat. The Marine gasket has a stainless steel main gasket body and the fire rings are also made of stainless and this helps resist detonation better than an automotive gasket. In detonation the stainless fire ring will last three times longer than a stock gasket. Without antifreeze in a system gaskets are exposed to rust. The marine will last longer.
If your tune up is good and gas quality is good the automotive gasket will last several years before it rusts out. Just don't let it detonate. The Heavy Duty gasket 9333PT gives you the heavy duty fire ring made of stainless but the gasket body is mild steel rather than stainless. It is a very good upgrade of automotive for not much money.
The Marine gasket will cost more than double the automotive gasket.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic